Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 AM

40 posts, read 58,378 times

Advertisements

I would like to cut down on paper newspapers and hard copy book purchases, while also having the ability to web surf and check email while out and about away from home.

My daughter tells me a typical tablet like the Nexus 7 or iPad are too much for this and complicated, she tells me that an E-Reader would be more appropriate and much easier on the eyes, since this will be used primarily for reading.

Secomd, Third, Fourth opinions?

Thanks, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 09:32 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,802 times
id'e get a tablet most of em have software for e readers built in em as you can dl magazines newspapers books movies music

Old 10-20-2013, 10:24 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,982 times
An e-reader will be better if all you want is to read black and white print (Books and newspapers). It will be OK but not great for magazines (since they'll be in B&W).

If you want any other features (web, email, etc) then you want a full blown tablet.

To check email or surf the web while not at home, you'll either have to find wifi to connect to, or get a tablet that has a data plan (like a phone), and pay a monthly fee.

If you already have a cell phone, you might be better off with a smart phone (for the web and email), and an e-reader for the books and newspapers.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,056 times
I think $200 is pretty cheap for a tablet. But I want a microSd slot on my next one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yftpEOvIKEY

There is almost no limito how many different things the tablet can do. I used it for a cooking alarm for the microwave because I can't hear the microwave in the kitchen from the living room. I use it as an MP3 player for audio books when walking to the store. I watch movies on it.

If all an e-reader does is books and magazines then I regard it as useless junk. If it is color then it is really a tablet with crippled software.

psik

Old 10-20-2013, 11:44 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post

If all an e-reader does is books and magazines then I regard it as useless junk. If it is color then it is really a tablet with crippled software.

psik
Nothing useless at all about e-readers. They are just purpose built devices. My wife's Kindle has a battery life of weeks to months, and is readable in any conditions, including full direct sunlight.

As much as we love our tablets, for the specific task of reading in a huge variety of places and conditions, the Kindle can't be beat. Especially for the price.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:55 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,976 times
I'd say go the tablet route. That way you can access website news as well. I just bought a tablet for little to nothing ($100) for the same purposes at my local Walgreens (Type in Tablet Electronics on Walgreens.com). When I am away from home I simply use my cell phone as a hotspot so that I can pick up internet reception on my tablet (for no extra cost).
Hope this helps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose77777 View Post
I would like to cut down on paper newspapers and hard copy book purchases, while also having the ability to web surf and check email while out and about away from home.

My daughter tells me a typical tablet like the Nexus 7 or iPad are too much for this and complicated, she tells me that an E-Reader would be more appropriate and much easier on the eyes, since this will be used primarily for reading.

Secomd, Third, Fourth opinions?

Thanks, FL

Old 10-23-2013, 12:48 AM

141 posts, read 435,137 times
e-Ink readers have one and only one bragging point: battery life. But modern tablets last 8, 10 and more hours if you just read stuff. Not an issue unless you go hiking with your e-reader into the wild with no outlet to plug it in for the night. Definitely tablet.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 AM

498 posts, read 977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekie View Post
e-Ink readers have one and only one bragging point: battery life. But modern tablets last 8, 10 and more hours if you just read stuff. Not an issue unless you go hiking with your e-reader into the wild with no outlet to plug it in for the night. Definitely tablet.

They're also far more enjoyable for reading novels. A lightless or sidelit e-ink screen is a world apart from a backlit tablet screen when it comes to that.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:33 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
FAR more enjoyable for reading actual books. No question.
Battery life is NOT the only consideration.

I have a friend that has both and she wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:02 AM

141 posts, read 435,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
FAR more enjoyable for reading actual books. No question.
Battery life is NOT the only consideration.

I have a friend that has both and she wouldn't have it any other way.
Guess we all differ; for my eyes, tablet screen is better than my Kindle Paperwhite and much better than the Kindle 3 keyboard. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets