Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 10:23 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

So, i've decided to retire my trusty Asus HA1000 netbook that has served me well for a few years and go in for a tablet simply for the form factor, the battery life and the lower weight. This is mainly going to be for traveling and seeing movies or browsing when I am lying in bed over Netflix

- Need a micro or full size USB port - when traveling I may need to plug in someone else's flash drive to get pics etc. It's absolutely important.

- Android Honeycomb based

- Need HDMI out - want to be able to plug it into a TV incase I am showing pics to friends or family

- Need SD card slot for expandability

- $400-420 or thereabouts price point (online)

- 10" screen - the 7incher is just too small and I will have a iPhone as well so want something that isn't too restrictive. Using my 10" Asus netbook extensively over the past year traveling I found this screen size is the best compromise between portability and screen real estate.

- at least 8 hour battery life

- Weight under 1.5 lbs

No, I am in the minority of people who do not prefer the iPad. I hugely prefer the Android Honeycomb interface..so I don't even want to discuss the iPad.

So far only 1 choice is coming up as the closest match.. the Acer Iconia. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 08:16 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Asus Ee Pad is one of the best tablet computers out there right now, and many say it is better than Ipad2. Since you are retiring a netbook, you might like the Asus since it has a removable keyboard. The keyboard has 2 USB ports, a fullsize SD card slot, and it doubles the battery life to around 16 hours when it is connected. I believe Asus makes the only tablet that allows you to connect a keyboard for typing documents. It is also flash capable (most are now), and it has a 10.1" screen and honeycomb.

I am leaning towards getting one around Black Friday or Cyber Monday. My top picks right now (after watching a 5-10 minute review on 9 different brands) are Asus Ee Pad, Toshiba Thrive, Motorola Xoom, and Samsung Galaxy in that order. Toshiba was also very impressive with a fullsize HDMI, USB, and SD card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets