Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:53 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
10 works fine on my tablet, even a cheaper one with the typical atom processors, it has such a smaller footprint. I hate the metro "touch" mode and just use it with a Bluetooth mouse in regular PC mode.
10 works marginally better on my current tablet, given it's older (Atom Z2760). Shouldn't be much difference on something with more decent hardware aside from the UI changes. If you were someone that actually liked the "metro" side of Windows 8.1 and mostly lived there, I guess I could actually see liking 8.1 better. Like you I never cared for metro. Multiple desktops frigging finally!

Android tablets if you're just using Office is actually not so much a problem, so that's something to consider as well. Windows 10 with Atom processors works but it's a bit sluggish. Then again, doing any heavier use of Android is painful as it's not designed for it. Stuff like the Chrome Pixelbook demonstrate that very well. Great hardware but they're kind of stupid as the OS holds you back from doing much of anything that you might need the hardware for. It'll do Powerpoint, Word, Excel well enough. Just realize that the OS is pretty limited. You'll probably want Windows if really going for a laptop replacement although you certainly can do office fine in Android. Just no split screens and more cumbersome to flip between windows/apps than Windows is.

Last edited by Malloric; 12-10-2015 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 10:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The only one Ive ever had is a Digiland DL701Q, which I bought for $50 the day before I went on an overseas trip. It has performed way better than my wildest expectations. When you're over 75, the learning curve can be pretty steep on those kinds of things, but I muddled through it just fine.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:39 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
First, you need to define what size tablet you need.

Second, what functions you want.

Surface Pro looks very interesting indeed, and may just fit your needs.

However after years of using Android (and suffering software related slowdowns and hardware failures) I finally broke down last year and bought an iPad, even though I disliked the limitations of iOS. I went with Mini because I wanted a portable device for travel. I actually fell in love with iOS, despite it's limitations. It just works. I am typing this on the soft keyboard and it's working just as well and just as fast as the real one. Even better on my wife's regular sized iPad. I can take hand written notes, audio records, video clips, work with Office files (as long as there's no macros involved).

The limitations - no real file system, no real multitasking although the latest devices have some resemblance of it; need to use cloud storage since it doesn't have a SD slot.

Surface Pro in theory would let you use full blown Windows software. As a former longtime Windows Pocket PC / Windows Mobile user, however, I fully trust MS to take a great concept that no other company even comes close to, and run it into the ground.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Well, you'd be fully wrong about the Surface. It's a very capable tablet/computer that makes iPads look like kids toys.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
In reality you don't have to use cloud for your tablet, including the iPad. There are a few ways to store files, photos, and such:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_9q4bw9od8r_b

Old 01-15-2016, 06:06 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well, you'd be fully wrong about the Surface. It's a very capable tablet/computer that makes iPads look like kids toys.
Yup.

I had two of them for a while, and they worked fine as laptops. The screen was too small but that's just what it is. The newer 12" screen would help there versus the 10.6" on the SP2 which was just too small. I still prefer 14" but that's personal preference and what works for me as far as portability/usability goes. I mean, I'd rather have a 19" screen... I just don't want to lug that around as much as I want it. They're not for gaming or serious CAD work, but for your basic productivity smaller form factor and chintzy keyboard aside they work just as well as any other similar sized ultrabook would. Most ultrabooks have chintzy keyboards too though, so not even that is all that different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets