Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:43 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You get what you pay for. You want the best tablet on the market? I forgot about the Asus tablet. That is hands down the best.
$295 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/ZenPad-2048x1...SIN=B01MATMXZV

It has 4GB of RAM, the Sammy and Fire have 2. It has a quad core processor, the others have dual.
It has a 2K IPS display. The others only go to 1080p. It has a dedicated graphics chip, the others don't. Big advantage.

A 10 inch Kindle Fire WITHOUT the 'Special Offers' at 64GB is $90 cheaper.
No question you should get the one WITHOUT 'Special Offers'. $25 off to have ads sent to your home screen is not worth it.

Asus hands down.
Again, reminder, there are few people as into Amazon as I am. I STILL would get a true Android Tablet.

You're right about the Asus tablet. It's really really nice, but I was under the impression that the OP was looking for a "starter" tablet to see if she was going to like them. Some people get one and then decide after playing around with it, that they prefer using their laptop and phone better and the tablets wind up being a paper weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 12:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
You're right about the Asus tablet. It's really really nice, but I was under the impression that the OP was looking for a "starter" tablet to see if she was going to like them. Some people get one and then decide after playing around with it, that they prefer using their laptop and phone better and the tablets wind up being a paper weight.
Yes that’s true. I am pondering the idea that just having fun playing with someone else’s tablet for a little while which put the thought in my head of getting myself one in the first place, doesn’t necessarily mean I would get a lot of use out of one of my own. I guess the novelty has worn off but I still want one at this point in time.

That’s why although I could go higher than the Fire, I decided to start there to see if that would suffice or if I would want more or maybe I didn’t even need one after all as time went by. The Fire just seems a good place to start. Even the FireHD seens pretty inexpensive and right now it would serve my needs.

Should I want to upgrade though, there is some really great advice here and I’m taking good notes.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:35 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
We will have to agree to disagree. IMO it is WELL WORTH the extra $100 on the Asus. 2k IPS display? 2X the RAM?
Worth it.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:23 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
I hate Kindles except for those Kid ones.
Adults should get real tablets.

Are you OK shopping on Ebay? Google discontinued one of the better tablets so you can only get them on Ebay now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-Google-...tWa8ExeZTqFFKQ

Review
https://www.cnet.com/products/google-nexus-9/review/
Quad core, 2GB RAM, 32/64GB storage, 1080p screen. Not top of the line today but equivalent to top of the line from a few years back. And when Prime Day comes probably on sale for $99 or less.

Comparing it to a $299 tablet or $329 tablet of course it comes up short. As does a Ford against a BMW. Plenty of people drive Fords.

And it also has hands-free Alexa for those who like the Echo. And a MicroSD slot.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:53 AM

So you're saying" you get what you pay for. I know!
Fire currently costs $150. If it's on sale for ONE day a year you can't use that are your basis for comparison.

I'd still pay more for the Asus. I really don't like Kindles. I much prefer the cleaner less bloat type of tablets running 'regular' Android.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
but I was under the impression that the OP was looking for a "starter" tablet to see if she was going to like them.
Good point Jan. Missed your reply earlier.
Good reason to get the cheaper Nexus on Ebay.
hehehe
OK, I'll stop.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
So you're saying" you get what you pay for. I know!
Fire currently costs $150. If it's on sale for ONE day a year you can't use that are your basis for comparison.

I'd still pay more for the Asus. I really don't like Kindles. I much prefer the cleaner less bloat type of tablets running 'regular' Android.
Actually, it’s on sale a lot. My wife picked one up for $99 a couple of months ago. They are often listed for $125. And Prime Day is in a few weeks to appropriate to mention now.

I understand how many don’t like the Fire OS and ecosystem. But Amazon sells these for close to zero profit, so if someone wants to try out a tablet it’s low risk and works similarly to other Android tablets. Amazon also has a generous return policy.

The ASUS ZenPad is no slouch either.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:17 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
The Fire 10 is on sale today for Amazon Prime day. I'm looking for a backup in case my older desktop computer dies suddenly. I want to access Email, Facebook, and some video courses I'm taking. I can't see watching any movies on such a small screen.

I don't have, or want, a smart phone, but I do have a Kindle.
This will seem like a dumb question, but why would I care about what app store I could access with the Fire? I haven't used app stores for anything yet.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
The Fire 10 is on sale today for Amazon Prime day. I'm looking for a backup in case my older desktop computer dies suddenly. I want to access Email, Facebook, and some video courses I'm taking. I can't see watching any movies on such a small screen.

I don't have, or want, a smart phone, but I do have a Kindle.
This will seem like a dumb question, but why would I care about what app store I could access with the Fire? I haven't used app stores for anything yet.
Google play has a LOT more to choose from and is more of the industry standard. Amazon is more limited.

The $99 looks tempting. I just don't use it enough to make it worth it. If I buy it, it will probably sit and collect dust most of the time.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:44 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

The $99 looks tempting. I just don't use it enough to make it worth it. If I buy it, it will probably sit and collect dust most of the time.

Same here. That's why I'm looking for cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets