Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:13 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I haven't bought one in years and was wondering what is a good one out there right now? I need something like size wise about 9" and 64gb should suffice. I prefer very nice display screens since i will likely only use it for storage of pics from vacation. Won't do too much else on it. Budget is around $400.

I am getting a Google phone, but it doesn't have to be a Google pad. Let me know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
We each have one of these and have been very pleased. Drag them all over the world. It does not have 32GB as one of the the pictures states. It's 16GB, but I save all travel pics to the SD card and this one comes with 128GB SD.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-10-1-...0.1+with+S+Pen

Old 01-13-2019, 09:44 AM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We each have one of these and have been very pleased. Drag them all over the world. It does not have 32GB as one of the the pictures states. It's 16GB, but I save all travel pics to the SD card and this one comes with 128GB SD.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-10-1-...0.1+with+S+Pen
Thanks. I was thinking of that and the Huawei MediaPad 5 also.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:48 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Look at used iPads
https://buy.gazelle.com/collections/...model=iPad%206

Old 01-14-2019, 08:21 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
His budget is $400. Now that iPad prices have come down to earth, it's hard to NOT recommend a brand new one. $329? Sold.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/

I'm not a big Apple fan but if you think anyone makes a better tablet in 2018.... err 19.... you're wrong.

Samsung's would be #2:
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ta...m-t590nzkaxar/

Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,713,980 times
For what it's worth, no one makes an Android tablet I would even think about. I've had 2 Samsung Tab S's (had an S and and S2) and while the hardware is nice...Samsung gimps it hard with their software and lack of updates. When my S2 broke, I went to an iPad and haven't looked back (iPad Pro 10.5). My phone is still Android, but I've left Samsung there too and went Pixel. I seriously considered an iPhone.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:26 PM

725 posts, read 805,282 times
iPads are the Cadillacs of tablets but now they are at a Toyota price. I have used iPads as my primary computer for 8 years. Performance and intuitive functionality will always be better with apple and nothing beats iOS. Used to pay 699 but thankfully at 329 they have come down a lot. Twice in the last three years I was able to buy the new model iPad for under 300 including tax at Walmart online (8 months into release but still the most current model).

Old 02-07-2019, 01:51 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,485,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
iPads are the Cadillacs of tablets but now they are at a Toyota price. I have used iPads as my primary computer for 8 years. Performance and intuitive functionality will always be better with apple and nothing beats iOS. Used to pay 699 but thankfully at 329 they have come down a lot. Twice in the last three years I was able to buy the new model iPad for under 300 including tax at Walmart online (8 months into release but still the most current model).
I have an iPad, but it's just the second generation and I very rarely use it. I prefer my MacBook Pro. A friend had a new iPad Pro and he really likes it. I suppose it's just a matter of preference.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:28 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,693 times
Back in 2005, I returned to school to study graphic design. The classes used Apple computers. They are way more intuitive than PCs (from a visual learner). When I decided to buy a cell phone, iPhone was my choice. I didn’t buy an iPad at first but changed my mind about 5 years ago to purchase a mini. Our daughter has it now and I upgraded to a 10.5” iPad Pro. I still use the MacBook (3rd one) for editing photos and downloading music plus control what music I add to my devices. Even my DH has an iPad Air and he is technically illiterate.

I use mine for travel using several Topo and gps map apps. I also play Solitaire, do puzzles and Sudoku. I use a few drawing apps, too, with the Apple Pencil. There are so many apps out there, it is tempting to try them all. Be selective and try the free versions first. Sometimes, the paid ones are worth avoiding the pop up ads.

Go to a store that sells both Android and Apple products to try them out to see which is more user friendly. I just find the Apple products to be intuitive. They also have some great apps.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:20 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
For what it's worth, no one makes an Android tablet I would even think about. I've had 2 Samsung Tab S's (had an S and and S2) and while the hardware is nice...Samsung gimps it hard with their software and lack of updates. When my S2 broke, I went to an iPad and haven't looked back (iPad Pro 10.5). My phone is still Android, but I've left Samsung there too and went Pixel. I seriously considered an iPhone.
See, I love my S2. It has not slowed down in the 3 years I have owned it, unlike the ipad my son and ex wife had. They are both on brand new ipads now. My S2 is as fast as the day I got it.

It is true that Samsung does not do updates for it anymore - but most older android devices suffer from that.

I really hate the Ipad/I phone. And, I have owned two previous Ipads, and I have an phone 6 I use solely as a streaming device hooked to my TV. Everytime I mess with that Iphone 6 to watch TV - I see again why I like android much more.

The problem is that the newer S3 and S4 tabs from Samsung are MUCHO expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets