Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 12:48 PM

525 posts, read 340,035 times

Advertisements

I was refunded for a tablet since they couldn't repair it and they couldn't give me a replacement since the model doesn't exist anymore. I was paying with TD Banks. I was supposed to get a refund but in order for this to happen Samsung was supposed to call Assurant Solutions to let them know I bought insurance with them since I have a contract number with them even though I bought it on Samsung website. Now the remaining balance I have with TD Banks that needs to be paid off by next month includes the extended warranty. Samsung still didn't call Assurant Solutions and that's why I still didn't get the refund for extended warranty. What happens if I don't pay the rest with TD Banks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 02:53 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
The open Internet isn't the most likely place to get actual legal advice, especially about a complicated event concerning Fine Print.
I suggest you read all the actual contracts and sales receipts and such yourself. Getting a lawyer will almost certainly cost more than the value in play.

(And in the future, when asking for help, please try to provide as much details in as clear a manner as possible, so as to make it easier for others to help).
I'll try offering some advice based on common sense (which may not be even close to the legal terms).

I understand that …..
You bought a Samsung tablet directly from S's website. You used a TD Banks credit card to pay.
As a part of this purchase you also paid for a Service Plan (note: they are NOT called insurance plans) from Assurant Solutions that covered repairs. You were given an Contract Number.

It broke.
The AS plan directed you to send it back to S for repair. You did so.
S told you it couldn't be fixed. S also told you it also couldn't be replaced, since that model was no longer available.

When you contacted AS with your insurance policy number and the news that S had told you the tablet wasn't repairable or replaceable, AS told you that they'd have to hear this from S directly.

Now you're wondering if you have to pay off your balance with TD Banks cc, including the AS plan's extra fee?
Is this all correct?

The first thing to keep in mind is that TDB doesn't know or care about the pending refund. You bought something, they paid S, now you have to pay TDB or pay TDB's late fees.

Also, while I have no knowledge or experience with AS, I do know that some experts say that extended warranties for electronics are often provided by firms of less-than-solid morals. IE: a lot of them are scammers. You need to be VERY careful about following the Letter-of-the-Law when it comes to doing what the Insurance Contract fine print requires regarding notifications, requests for work, requests for refunds, etc.

Do NOT communicate via telephone. Always do it in writing so it's documented. Email, fax or registered mail ONLY.

I Googled AS and saw some downloadable example contracts. I'm assuming what you purchased was the "Assurance Protection Plan Plus" and not the much more extensive "Service Protection Advantage".
THE FOLLOWING is based on that assumption:

1) AS's plan says that they come into play ONLY AFTER the manufacturer's warrantee has expired.
So one big question: Was your tablet still within S's warrantee, if so, then you should be dealing only with S.
If its older than the S warrantee with but still in AS's time limit, then deal with AS.

2) Did you follow the AS plan's requirements about Notifying them? I'm assuming so, since you said that AS told you to send it to S to get repaired.

3) The paragraph "CLAIM FULFILLMENT:" sub para "Depot Repair:" appears to be the process that they directed you to follow.

4) The paragraph "CLAIM FULFILLMENT:" sub para "Replacement" seems to be the operative portion about what happens if the covered item can't be repaired. Note that while it says they will either replace the product, give you cash, or give you a gift card. They do NOT state a time from that they are obligated to process this return. This means typically it's 30-90 days from the time they make their decision. [I know this is a LONG time, but this is how warranty business is usually done].

My conclusion on all this is that AS can drag their feet as long as their bureaucracy wants to.

IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION:
You really should pay the cc payment, thus avoiding late fees. The refund that you appear to be due, will NOT come as a credit to your cc, but rather a cash payment, or far more likely, they'll mail you a debit Gift Card. (A debit card with a balance of the amount they owe you, that you can use anywhere you can use a debit card.)

Contact the AS claims department and the S repair department (IN WRITING, email probably best), getting actual names, and politely stating that you wish this Service Plan's refund process expedited.
If a couple of businesslike, polite emails over a week or so don't get you a response that they've mailed you a debit card, (the probable actual result), then start requesting specifics as to why the delays, expected time to them complying with your contract, and other escalating business-threats that are useful to nudging bureaucratic delays.

I hope this helps, please comment with the result so it may help others who read this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets