Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2021, 08:38 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,526,006 times

Advertisements

I just found out that on an Ipad, Safari browser, when you Clear History, it also deletes cookies. That means when you clear history you will have to relogin to sites you were logged into.

Is there no way to clear history but leave the cookies there?? I do that all the time with Chrome. When you say to clear history in Chrome, there are checkboxes so that you can leave the cookies but clear the history. I want the cookies to stay so I don't have to relogin to various pages.

You can actually clear history only the last day or the last few days. I'm not clear if that also deletes all the cookies.

Apparently on a Mac computer there is a way to clear history but leave the cookies. But not Safari on Ipad or Iphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 09:04 PM

Thousands of people use Safari on their Iphones and Ipads every day.
When they clear their browser histories, they lose all their cookies also? I can't believe that. I must be missing something.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:36 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Thousands of people use Safari on their Iphones and Ipads every day.
When they clear their browser histories, they lose all their cookies also? I can't believe that. I must be missing something.
It’s true. I checked in settings just now. If you click to clear history, it will clear out everything. There doesn’t seem to be any way to delete just the history.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It’s true. I checked in settings just now. If you click to clear history, it will clear out everything. There doesn’t seem to be any way to delete just the history.
That's what bugs me. Who wants to clear history and have to relogin to so many places?

You can actually clear history for the last day or last week. I'm not sure if that clears the cookies.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:52 PM
KCZ

4,667 posts, read 3,662,281 times
You can click on the double box icon in the corner of Safari, then delete the sites one at a time, which won't remove their cookies. If you want to save some sites, you can mark those Private. Time-consuming but maybe less so than losing all your cookies.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:11 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
That's what bugs me. Who wants to clear history and have to relogin to so many places?

You can actually clear history for the last day or last week. I'm not sure if that clears the cookies.
The solution is to save the passwors in Safari. When you have cleared everything, Safari* will still have your passwords. On my iPad Pro i just click the button and Face ID does the rest.

I’m not sure if they are saved in Safari, or in keychain on the iPad.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The solution is to save the passwors in Safari. When you have cleared everything, Safari* will still have your passwords. On my iPad Pro i just click the button and Face ID does the rest.
Thank you. I knew there must have been a logical reason.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:02 AM

16,545 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Yep, was about to say this. Chrome does the same. Every browser will if you login to it.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:35 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
You can also open a, "New Private Window" (found under Safari's File Menu). What Safari does in this case is to keep your browsing history private. Once you close this window, Safari won't remember the pages you visited, your search history, or your Autofill information. This is similar to clearing history. In addition, Safari prevents trackers from following you across websites (cross trackers), and also does Intelligent tracking prevention. But again, keep in mind that noting is infallible

Regardless, it doesn't mean that you aren't leaving your footprints here and there, since browsing always leaves crumbs here and there on the Internet. However, there are other means that can be used for removing most of these things, but that is another discussion all together (plenty of articles have been published about it already).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets