Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times

Advertisements

I got rid of my windoze and pee cee's almost ten years ago and never looked back.
I don't miss the blue screen of death. I don't miss crashes. I don't miss all of the viruses, etc.

My oldest mac is almost 10 years old. It is a G4 Imac and is a thing of beauty...still looks futuristic after all this time. And it still works flawlessly.

I'm not trying to convert the world. I couldn't care less if the masses are happy in their PC's and windows world.

I like my Macs. They just work. They work well. They are built well. Designed well. The multi touch touchpad is a joy to use, as is their newest mouse, etc,etc.
If I do want to call customer service, I am not talking to someone I can't understand with a fake American name.

Ten years ago I bought Apple stock at $4 a share. It is now hovering at about $200 bucks a share, and it split a few years back.

Of course there were mp3 players and tablets before apple's......the fact remains that Apple mostly either creates a new idea, or improves on it so much that they continually raise the standard. Go use an ipod, then use another mp3 player.......END OF STORY.

A Yugo and a Rolls Royce will get you to the store and back. The ride is better in the Rolls......and yes, I paid more for the Rolls, but it retains it's value way better then the Yugo.....in the end the Rolls is the better deal.

But, as I said, I'm not trying to convert anyone. We'll agree to disagree agreeably. I'm happy in my Apple world. The Macs that you say I've overpaid for have held their value and have been sold well afterwards for hardly much of a loss. They have more of a lasting value compared with PC's.

But, as I said.....we're happy with our Macs, you are happy with your PC's....we are all happy......

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I got rid of my windoze and pee cee's almost ten years ago and never looked back.
I don't miss the blue screen of death. I don't miss crashes. I don't miss all of the viruses, etc.

My oldest mac is almost 10 years old. It is a G4 Imac and is a thing of beauty...still looks futuristic after all this time. And it still works flawlessly.

I'm not trying to convert the world. I couldn't care less if the masses are happy in their PC's and windows world.

I like my Macs. They just work. They work well. They are built well. Designed well. The multi touch touchpad is a joy to use, as is their newest mouse, etc,etc.
If I do want to call customer service, I am not talking to someone I can't understand with a fake American name.

Ten years ago I bought Apple stock at $4 a share. It is now hovering at about $200 bucks a share, and it split a few years back.

Of course there were mp3 players and tablets before apple's......the fact remains that Apple mostly either creates a new idea, or improves on it so much that they continually raise the standard. Go use an ipod, then use another mp3 player.......END OF STORY.

A Yugo and a Rolls Royce will get you to the store and back. The ride is better in the Rolls......and yes, I paid more for the Rolls, but it retains it's value way better then the Yugo.....in the end the Rolls is the better deal.

But, as I said, I'm not trying to convert anyone. We'll agree to disagree agreeably. I'm happy in my Apple world. The Macs that you say I've overpaid for have held their value and have been sold well afterwards for hardly much of a loss. They have more of a lasting value compared with PC's.

But, as I said.....we're happy with our Macs, you are happy with your PC's....we are all happy......

Frank
All well and good but did you ever notice that whenever Mac's are mentioned some PC user will launch a snarky attack on the poster and the Mac?

Wonder if that's just them being jealous of a Mac users good sense to not buy a PC?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:

First off, comparing a PC to a yugo and a mac to a rolls is a bit ridiculous. I think Lexus/Toyota is probably overstating the quality difference and definitely overstating the price difference. I don't think you overpaid, because it makes you happy and that, ultimately, is why you're spending the money. I, on the other hand, would have overpaid because I like ugly things I can take apart easily.

You've probably had bad experiences with PCs over the years--which is such a broad category as to say you've had problems with cars over the years and will deem the entire set as unreliable (after all, your Mac is broadly stated a personal computer). I've actually had the opposite experience--my then girlfriend and now wife had a macbook that was a continual struggle to keep working. I must have taken that thing to the "genius" bar five times before I just gave up and bought her a cheap-o dell that just worked and has never given us any trouble.

What I don't understand is why people go out of their way to defend apple so much. I love Canon--I think they make absolutely incredible cameras and lenses and salivate over each new offering and only wish I had the money to spend on all their equipment. If someone insults Canon, though, or says that it's not worth the investment, or that Nikon is totally better and it doesn't upset me and I don't feel the need to defend Canon or denigrate Nikon or Sony or Minolta (and no, you can't compare Apple to Leica, so don't try) It's the Apple groupthink that bothers me, not any of the products or their pricing (although my wife is still pissed about her lemon of a macbook). It probably shouldn't bother me, as I live in New England where people have been actually killed over rooting for the wrong sports teams, so I should know that people really do just like to pick sides for arbitrary reasons.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times
Quote:
actually i have. i've had an ipod nano, a small samsung for the gym, an archos mp3 and PMP, and most recently a 120gb zune.
the zune compared to its closest ipod counterpart (ipod classic) is a much better device. i would say the 2nd best mp3 player i've owned is the nano. but the zune is the superior product. its scroll wheel and UI are much better than that of the ipod classic, its screen is larger, has wifi, FM radio and so forth.

Quote:
A Yugo and a Rolls Royce will get you to the store and back. The ride is better in the Rolls......and yes, I paid more for the Rolls, but it retains it's value way better then the Yugo.....in the end the Rolls is the better deal
ridiculous comparison. the car analogy is a bad example, especially considering the fact that most non-apple products offer more features than apple products, something that can't be said about yugos and rolls.
pcs can do everything apple machines can, usually for a much lower price.
with 3048230498230492384023948203498230293 more gaming options, such as COD4

Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 PM

193 posts, read 656,649 times
The iPad is a work in progress. It's a bit lackluster now, but it has a ton of potential for the future.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:16 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
There's nothing I find more pathetic than the Apple/PC war. Seriously, you people are like women arguing about shoes.

Buy what you like and be happy. Life's too short.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
All well and good but did you ever notice that whenever Mac's are mentioned some PC user will launch a snarky attack on the poster and the Mac?

Wonder if that's just them being jealous of a Mac users good sense to not buy a PC?
Actually it's all that drool. It's a piece of hardware, a tool, not a plastic sex doll. Jeez!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
For me, PC versus Mac is a bit of nonsense... they are in every aspect pretty much equivalent to each other in function and problems but the Mac does cost a LOT more than your typical PC... and that is why Apple is getting so rich because they are overcharging (they are not getting rich cause their stuff is more expensive to manufacture)... some people "feel" its worth the price but the PC has evolved (in my opinion) to surpass the Mac on a price point basis... comparing two equivalent products at the same price and the PC will easily win out.. People like Macs for their own reason and I have no problem with that (its a free world)... for instance you can either buy a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry at the same price they are about the same, if Honda was a PC and the Toyota was a Mac, all Mac did was increase the price of the Toyota by a few thousand dollars and make a big profit off of it... if people feel that Toyota (Mac) is better, its all in their mindset but that's fine, they can buy Mac products all they want but they shouldn't claim it was "revolutionary"... its just different, albeit a very expensive difference...

As for the IPad, yes, it is a bit disappointing because I was hoping for "more" but it is only the initial launch which means there are room for improvements... pricewise, its NOT that bad, its actually pretty good, they are going away from a special "Mac tax" plan and going with mainstream product plans... maybe they will stop ripping off consumers in the future but who knows..

Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
I own an iMac and a MacBook - love them both.

I own an iPhone - like it quite a lot, but am considering switching to Blackberry when contract is up because iPhone is not as business friendly as it could be.

iPad - will I buy one? Almost 100% not, and it's not the price that's the sticking point. The price seems reasonable and the device looks interesting enough. I won't buy one for the same reason I probably won't buy a Kindle or a Nook. I feel like my life is wired enough as it is. Honestly, what the hell would I do with this thing? Disconnect from the world around me even more?

I admire Apple as a company and what they've achieved, but this is too much...

Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
I am Unix developer that has Windows, Linux and Macs at home. So no war here.

However, I do feel Apple products are the future of the market. The usability of OsX alone is enough, but they also integrate hardware with software to make some very clean running machines. I own many macs now and never have near the amount of problems I have had with windows or Linux.

IPad to me is just another beautiful device from Apple, if you don't enjoy clean running, great looking devices then go junk around with Linux, i do and it is fun as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets