Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 06:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Tampa for a bit over seven years now. I've struggled at times to like it, but found things that I really do love. During that time I've spent a little bit of it in St. Petersburg. Always liked it, but really only saw bits of it when going to the Dali museum or to a favorite night spot. I recently took a job over there and WOW. I LOVE it! That city is a world away from Tampa. Walkable, progressive, decent public transport, asthetic beauty, among many other wonderful things that suit me.

Mind you, I'm not "knocking" Tampa. Different strokes for different folks, but people who think the two cities are similar have not spent equal time in both cities. St. Pete reminds me alot of Minneapolis, but with better weather and my beloved palm trees and waterfront. I can't wait to move over there!

If you're reading this and thinking of moving to the area, give St. Pete a look! All that and I'll be closer to the beach as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM

794 posts, read 1,861,301 times
You bring up a great point, Angel. When people discuss Tampa, the area is MORE than just the TAMPA city limits. There are many wonderful areas, communities, cities, in the area around Tampa that are just golden nuggets. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would disparage the Tampa area. It's just a marvelous place to live; I've been here a whole 3 months; LOL

Old 06-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Glad to find agreement It bugs me a little with all the "moving to Tampa, Tampa is this, Tampa is that, etc., etc." sometimes. There is so much more. St. Petersburg, Dunedin, Treasure Island, Madeira Beach, Pass-a-Grille, are among my favorites.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:28 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Glad to find agreement It bugs me a little with all the "moving to Tampa, Tampa is this, Tampa is that, etc., etc." sometimes. There is so much more. St. Petersburg, Dunedin, Treasure Island, Madeira Beach, Pass-a-Grille, are among my favorites.
They say that but they mean the Tampa Bay area, which is what the metro area is called that includes all these cities and more. There is plenty of diversity among the areas and towns, something for everyone. I love it all, even though we now live in Manatee county, but even that is considered part of the area, really.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
I've lived in Tampa for a bit over seven years now. I've struggled at times to like it, but found things that I really do love. During that time I've spent a little bit of it in St. Petersburg. Always liked it, but really only saw bits of it when going to the Dali museum or to a favorite night spot. I recently took a job over there and WOW. I LOVE it! That city is a world away from Tampa. Walkable, progressive, decent public transport, asthetic beauty, among many other wonderful things that suit me.

Mind you, I'm not "knocking" Tampa. Different strokes for different folks, but people who think the two cities are similar have not spent equal time in both cities. St. Pete reminds me alot of Minneapolis, but with better weather and my beloved palm trees and waterfront. I can't wait to move over there!

If you're reading this and thinking of moving to the area, give St. Pete a look! All that and I'll be closer to the beach as well
I agree. I've found myself spending much more time at ST Pete lately - more to offer than Tampa (except for a few sporting events like the Bucs/Bolts). The mayor has really done a good job w/ the crime, it seems. As long as they keep improving the quality of life in St Pete, I'll keep going there and spending money. I really like the area now.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:11 AM

14 posts, read 26,493 times
Quote:

Nice post, I am planning a move to the Tampa AREA. When I tell friends and family that, they keep telling me "Oh no, you would not like to live in the city, so much crime and traffic" (bare in mind these are people who havn't spent any real time in ANY city). I then have to explain that when I say area, I mean that I am planning to live outside the city, perhaps an hour or so. And if I did decide on city life (as dictated by my budget) it would most likely be Clearwater or Sarasota, even though i still wouldn't consider either one as Big City living.

Btw, I have always wanted to visit the twin cities when I lived in Davenport. Never made it though. Have you ever been to the Quad Cities? How comparable are they to Sarasota or Clearwater?

Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 AM

Sarasota is pretty. I've only driven through downtown on my way to other places, but it left an impression on me. It would seem to be more of a well-off retirree town to me, though. Clearwater is just not for me. Not a whole lot going on there. I've never been to the Quad Cities, though, so I can't compare them for you.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:23 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Sarasota is pretty. I've only driven through downtown on my way to other places, but it left an impression on me. It would seem to be more of a well-off retirree town to me, though. Clearwater is just not for me. Not a whole lot going on there. I've never been to the Quad Cities, though, so I can't compare them for you.
Sarasota is a whole lot more than a retiree town. There are three colleges here, USF Branch, New College and Ringling College of Art and Design. These are all highly ranked colleges and there are quite a few young people. Sarasota is also a very eclectic town, known for its arts and culture, circus heritage and even an Amish/Mennonite village. Sarasota has the best downtown I have seen in Florida - I love it here.

Clearwater to me, is kind of a congested and weird place, I don't like it at all. And the Scientology people give downtown a creepy feel.

Just my .02 cents.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Unfortunately, Downtown Clearwater is Scientology. There's the waterfront park and the county courthouse, but that's pretty much it. There are hardly any office-types down there, either. I was down there between 1 and 3 PM on a Monday (not a holiday) and it was completely deserted except for the Scientologists and their shuttle buses. Even City Hall was empty!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,846 times
To be clear, Sarasota is NOT part of the Tampa Bay area/MSA.

Besides, Sarasota has its own bay- a few actually (Sarasota, Lemon, Roberts...) :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay