Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 07:20 PM

163 posts, read 130,129 times

Advertisements

Which would you say is better for raising children? Me and my wife live in Des Moines, Iowa. She's originally from South America and I'm from Charlotte, NC. Des Moines truly is a great city with a lot to offer and great for kids but we are sick and tired of this cold weather. We want to live somewhere warm and close to the ocean and we have chose the Bay Area. I actually lived in Pinellas Park for 4 years as a child. I am very familiar with all sides of St. Pete. I only went to Tampa a handful of times however.

So how do they compare to one another? We are going to be having children and are very family oriented, conservative, and Christian. We are those types of people that like to go to church or bible study 2 times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 AM

163 posts, read 183,831 times
I just moved here from Charlotte, NC, and I would say you might be better off in a suburb of either Tampa or St. Pete, or South Tampa. I live in Northeast St. Pete near downtown, and it's definitely the least religious place I've ever lived. I haven't visited any churches, but I asked around, and there aren't many in this area that seem to have active children's programs aside from non-denominational mega-churches, which is not an option for me.

Northeast St. Pete is also very liberal. I don't know that I saw any Trump signs in my neighborhood during the election, but saw dozens of Clinton signs and some Gary Johnson and Jill Stein signs. We moved to this area because it's walking distance to downtown and the Bay, right on a beautiful lake, 15 minutes from the beach, and was the shortest commute to my husband's job in the Carrilon area of St. Pete. When we're lucky enough to get a babysitter, we ride our bikes downtown and catch a concert or go to dinner. On the weekends, we walk everywhere - this weekend, my sons didn't even get into the car once, but we walked all over the place, went to several festivals, and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

I can't speak to any of the suburbs, because I've never been to them. But we did look in South Tampa, and that seems much more family-oriented. The schools are top-notch, and it was obvious that there were kids living in nearly all of the larger homes. Here in Northeast St. Pete, it's a mix of retirees, young adults, families, and couples without kids. I'd say the ratio is probably 30% retirees, 30% families, 20% couples without kids, and 20% young adults (25 - 30 ish). The neighborhood schools in St. Pete are generally not great, although the magnet and fundamental schools are very highly-ranked. We're hoping that we win the lottery (literally - you have to enter a lottery for school selection), but, if not, we may consider a move to South Tampa.

If I were you, I'd look at some suburbs and South Tampa, visit some churches, and see what feels right. St. Pete probably isn't a good choice for you if you're looking for a conservative vibe.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions I am going to look into the south Tampa area.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:17 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Northeast St. Pete is very liberal - spent 3 weeks there before the election and it seemed the entire area was voting for HRC.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:02 PM

80 posts, read 81,571 times
Funny because trump won pinellas and lost hillsburough.

St. Pete is very gay friendly FYI

Commute to work and worship should dictate where you should settle cause Tampa Bay traffic will test anyone's faith.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:06 PM

569 posts, read 1,059,154 times
Some suburbs of St Pete are very nice and family oriented as well. I'm not going to get into the political climate, but as far as nice quiet neighborhoods to raise a family: most of Seminole, parts of Largo (like my neighborhood), Belleair, Safety Harbor, and Dunedin come to mind, and I've heard good things about Palm Harbor as well. Most aren't particularly walkable when it comes to restaurant, shopping, etc. (Dunedin and Safety Harbor are), but they're quiet, a short drive to what you need, and close to the beach as well.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:28 AM

461 posts, read 554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb2013 View Post
I just moved here from Charlotte, NC, and I would say you might be better off in a suburb of either Tampa or St. Pete, or South Tampa. I live in Northeast St. Pete near downtown, and it's definitely the least religious place I've ever lived. I haven't visited any churches, but I asked around, and there aren't many in this area that seem to have active children's programs aside from non-denominational mega-churches, which is not an option for me.

Northeast St. Pete is also very liberal. I don't know that I saw any Trump signs in my neighborhood during the election, but saw dozens of Clinton signs and some Gary Johnson and Jill Stein signs. We moved to this area because it's walking distance to downtown and the Bay, right on a beautiful lake, 15 minutes from the beach, and was the shortest commute to my husband's job in the Carrilon area of St. Pete. When we're lucky enough to get a babysitter, we ride our bikes downtown and catch a concert or go to dinner. On the weekends, we walk everywhere - this weekend, my sons didn't even get into the car once, but we walked all over the place, went to several festivals, and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

I can't speak to any of the suburbs, because I've never been to them. But we did look in South Tampa, and that seems much more family-oriented. The schools are top-notch, and it was obvious that there were kids living in nearly all of the larger homes. Here in Northeast St. Pete, it's a mix of retirees, young adults, families, and couples without kids. I'd say the ratio is probably 30% retirees, 30% families, 20% couples without kids, and 20% young adults (25 - 30 ish). The neighborhood schools in St. Pete are generally not great, although the magnet and fundamental schools are very highly-ranked. We're hoping that we win the lottery (literally - you have to enter a lottery for school selection), but, if not, we may consider a move to South Tampa.

If I were you, I'd look at some suburbs and South Tampa, visit some churches, and see what feels right. St. Pete probably isn't a good choice for you if you're looking for a conservative vibe.
Oh god no if these people are coming from Des Moines, they're more than likely in for a culture shock.. nothing here will be anything near as family friendly as they have home. I see Des Moines as a native cultured up kind of down home city for the most part.. or was or has had an image for it more than FL ever has anyhow.

As far as Northeast St Pete.. I would NOT live in the Old NE right by downtown. I do however like the patch of 4th St N and 38th Ave N though and then more north toward Gandy but no.. I wouldn't live very very close to Downtown anyhow and ya makes sense its very liberal over there too. I also like Central Ave and 66th/Tyrone area.. That seems to be a hot area that's hard to find rentals in from personal experience. No other part of St Pete interests me though.

The schools down here are more than likely a lot worse than where the OP came from. And it also helps to be rich down here too.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:30 AM

461 posts, read 554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvais View Post
Funny because trump won pinellas and lost hillsburough.

St. Pete is very gay friendly FYI

Commute to work and worship should dictate where you should settle cause Tampa Bay traffic will test anyone's faith.
TB traffic has to be comparable to west coast metros.. I question now if its really that bad. I really do. Or close to Southern California levels anyhow. I think people do believe driving here is a nightmare and I feel the same way too.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
Oh god no if these people are coming from Des Moines, they're more than likely in for a culture shock.. nothing here will be anything near as family friendly as they have home. I see Des Moines as a native cultured up kind of down home city for the most part.. or was or has had an image for it more than FL ever has anyhow.

As far as Northeast St Pete.. I would NOT live in the Old NE right by downtown. I do however like the patch of 4th St N and 38th Ave N though and then more north toward Gandy but no.. I wouldn't live very very close to Downtown anyhow and ya makes sense its very liberal over there too. I also like Central Ave and 66th/Tyrone area.. That seems to be a hot area that's hard to find rentals in from personal experience. No other part of St Pete interests me though.

The schools down here are more than likely a lot worse than where the OP came from. And it also helps to be rich down here too.
I am not from Des Moines. I have lived here 1 year. I am from st Pete and Charlotte nc. I attended Tyrone elementary and Tyrone middle. I haven't even visited the bay sense 2003 though when I moved so I don't know what it's like now. You mention the 66th Tyrone area. I used to live off 66th and 38th where that checkers was and the albertsons.

I like that neighborhood is it expensive now?

Last edited by Beardo; 11-22-2016 at 09:53 AM..

Old 11-22-2016, 09:13 AM

163 posts, read 183,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
TB traffic has to be comparable to west coast metros.. I question now if its really that bad. I really do. Or close to Southern California levels anyhow. I think people do believe driving here is a nightmare and I feel the same way too.
People just need to be strategic about where they choose to live in relation to where they work. It makes it very difficult to change jobs, however, if you buy a house close to your place of employment. In my opinion, one of the biggest disadvantages of the Tampa Bay area is that there is not a clearly defined urban center or job hub, so it's impossible to buy a house close to where all the jobs are. I'm lucky enough to work remotely now, but if I lost my job or decided to make a move for upward mobility, I would be limited to looking in Pinellas County only, as working anywhere else would restrict my quality of life to the point that it wouldn't be worth it to make a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay