Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfull View Post
My wife plans on being involved as well, she is a Pediatric physical therapist that works in a school district now, so she will a very keen sense of what is happening in the school.
Excellent! That in a nutshell is why so few schools "succeed" according to many parents. They expect the teachers/school administration to teach and raise their children, with little involvement from themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:01 PM

471 posts, read 1,661,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Umm, you're comparing downtown Dunedin to what exactly in Palm Harbor?
I'm not comparing downtown Dunedin to palm harbor, but there is more to Dunedin than just downtown, and you are the one comparing quality of life.
I would live in certain areas of Dunedin, safety harbor, oldsmar, countryside, tarpon springs, eastlake, just as easily as palm harbor, but there is no difference in the quality of life, all of North Pinellas offers good quality of life, it's just personal preference..

Everyone who likes where they live likes to cheerlead, but we do those who are asking and have no idea of the areas no favors by insisting for example that Dunedin has a "so much higher quality of life."

Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 816 times
Well Im in 8th grade and I go to Dunedin Middle... I hear that Dunedin Elementary is pretty good but I dont reccomend Dunedin Middle (when your kids are in middle) as there is alot of fights, the principle is retarted and in my opinion is a crappy school. Though the band program is great (im in it) and some teachers are nice

Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Excellent! That in a nutshell is why so few schools "succeed" according to many parents. They expect the teachers/school administration to teach and raise their children, with little involvement from themselves.
Excellent point!!

Both places are good, like Cariad states.

I personally love Ozona, but that's only to live, as I have finished with my kids education ....

Old 01-17-2011, 02:09 PM

9 posts, read 18,279 times
My kids are in Garrison-Jones and my wife and I both think that it is a better school than the one they were in when we lived Westchester County, NY. My son is in 3rd and my daughter in 1st, so we plan to stay in this school area for the next 4 years. We are renting now and looking to buy and we are limiting ourselves to homes in Garrison-Jones and Palm Harbor middle school area - Spanish Pines, Spanish Trails and that general vicinity.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,369 times
We live in the East Lake area of Palm Harbor and love it. While it is more cookie cutter in this area we love the walk-ability factor of our current location, the great schools for our kids and the people have been nothing but polite since we moved here.

With that in mind, Dunedin is right down the street and unless you want to live right in the middle of downtown, you're going to have to drive there anyway. So for school, I would live in Palm Harbor, when researching moves I used the following website (and this one) to help me determine where to go.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community (This is fabulous as it has an outside grading system plus a parental rating with reviews)

With your children enjoying sports there is a HUGE sports complex off Keystone Rd. and other complexes right down the street in Oldsmar, so that might also be a deciding factor for you. We also enjoy that the nature preserve is about 5 miles from our current locations, which is great for hiking, nature centers etc...

Not to mention in Tarpon you have the Leepa Rattner Museum of Art, which is also right here.

Dunedin has always seemed a little dated to me and I love history but quality of life always seem to veer towards the retirement crowd whereas Palm Harbor has always felt more like a family community.

This is my perspective of course, I'm sure others will think differently but I think you'd benefit more by going with the good school zone, especially coming from NY where they have a much more successful school system.

Also, a kind of funny side note, my BF is from Buffalo, NY and when we first moved into the area we noticed 6 different NY license plates in our neighborhood, that might be a telling sign of the areas appeal.

Another option for you would be Safety Harbor, great school system and a wonderfully art friendly town. (It's a little south of Dunedin/Palm Harbor)

Last edited by Sumermarie; 01-18-2011 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay