Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Somewhat related to this thread...I absolutely love my DirectTV service, but have reservations about trying it in Florida with all of the thunderstorm activity (the only time I have issues with it in Philadelphia, which is infrequent). Is it a serious issue there or infrequent in terms of outages like it is in PA..??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:22 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Somewhat related to this thread...I absolutely love my DirectTV service, but have reservations about trying it in Florida with all of the thunderstorm activity (the only time I have issues with it in Philadelphia, which is infrequent). Is it a serious issue there or infrequent in terms of outages like it is in PA..??

I am sure with the rain here you would have problems. I had Dish in Texas. It worked fine if there was only thunder and lightning unless it was directly over our house. And it would have to be a very heavy rain to knock out the signal.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:30 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
[quote=FloridaKash;15631931]I am sure with the rain here you would have problems. I had Dish in Texas. It worked fine if there was only thunder and lightning unless it was directly over our house. And it would have to be a very heavy rain to knock out the signal.[/QUOTE

It's only a problem here with severe storms (heavy rain) in Philadelphia and it doesn't last long. Thunder and lightning alone doesn't do it. Of course I've found the same can happen with cable in terms of outages with heavy rain, and it seems to take longer to come back on.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
I don't know if Brighthouse has these features, but I have 4 TV's in my house; two have HD/DVR's the other two have regular cable boxes. With Fios, you can watch a recorded program in any room by accessing one of the DVR's. Also with Fios, I can share movies on my computer with any TV in the house. I simply run there Media Center application, and boom I can share Audio, Movies, and Photos on any TV in the house. Also with Fios, I can use the computer to setup each TV's favorite channels and also program the DVR recordings with the computer. And lastly, I can access Facebook from any TV (not that I would do that).

Just some of the features of Fios I did not have with my Time Warner Cable in my past residence.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:24 AM

6 posts, read 104,117 times
Thanks for all the replies! We decided on Brighthouse which meets all our needs. Fios sounded real nice but I want to make sure I have cable setup when we arrive so I can see the Ohio State Buckeyes play on Thursday night!

Thanks again!

Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 AM

5 posts, read 118,528 times
Unhappy Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
we have brighthouse, and from everything i've heard this is typical of verizon. My husband manages large projects for hillsborough county and has to deal with verizon all the time, and is always telling me what a nightmare they are to deal with!

We have been very happy with brighthouse, for our needs they are perfect, and we have had great customer service.
i did not know you guys on the island had it so bad.... But remember people the fiber optic product is a premium product. But if you have a bunch of mechanics that can't read the german manuel trying to assemble a mercedes benz,you will pretty much have the same results..... Unfinished product that works half the time

Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I am sure with the rain here you would have problems. I had Dish in Texas. It worked fine if there was only thunder and lightning unless it was directly over our house. And it would have to be a very heavy rain to knock out the signal.
I used to have Dish... It went out in a butterfly flew overhead. They might have fixed it since then (it was YEARS ago).

On the topic at hand, I prefer FIOS to Brighthouse. BH is all about screwing up, then offering you free stuff that they wont bill properly, so you end up paying for it anyways. I never had a problem with FIOS.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 83,237 times
I have always used Brighthouse. I never had any complaints. I know a few people who switched to Fios, for the most part they are happy with it. I would go with Brighthouse though.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:56 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus2tampa View Post
We are moving from Ohio to Wesley Chapel. We will be renting a home for 1 year until we decide where we are going to purchase.

I'm not real familiar with Verizon Fios. I did a search and read some bad things. It looks like they dropped the contract on there website.

We are looking for HD cable, High-speed internet, and phone.

Any suggestion or comparisons? I need to get it ordered on Wednesday for the following Wednesday install.

Thanks!

don't go with verizon, that's for sure. just got my first bill, $700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! without going into bill specifics, i'm going to cancel my service. i'm going to try something different though, i'm not going to replace them with anyone. this kind of bull seems to happen to me quite regularly and the hours i spend on the phone trying to rectify errors and overcharges makes me miserable. that considered, i spend way too much time watching tv and sitting on the net. that too makes me miserable. i've come the conclusion that whether it's brighthouse or verizon or some other media conglomerate, i'm going to get screwed. tonight i'm going to sit down with the mrs and have a chat about cutting it all. i'll keep the cell phones for work but internet, cable and my home phone are all up for the chop. i figure that the once a week i go to the in laws, i can use their net. as for the sports on tv, i'm over pro sports. it's been a long time since i could stomach a full game of anything. the news is a load of journalistic drivel and i've seen every show on the documentary channels at least twice. i think it's time to have my life back

sorry for the rant

Old 11-22-2010, 08:28 AM

186 posts, read 377,750 times
I have Brighthouse and like them but when you watch something you taped on TV and have to rewind or FF, the sound gets all messed up and you have to constantly change channel and come back to get the sound back where you can hear it. Maybe it's my TV but Sony said it wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay