Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 01:45 PM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times

Advertisements

The spouse and I are former residents who are currently in the process of returning to the Tampa area. I already have a position, but the spouse does not.

They are a CBAP (certified business analyst) with over 30 years of experience in the IT field. Their former employer, who has indicated they would like to rehire them, does not have any positions at this time, so they are actively looking, and using all the usual resources.

I fear that they will have a tough time with all the IT people on the street down here, but figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask around, as I know there are a number of IT folks on the board.

Given the choice, we want to be back in the Valrico area, so Tampa is the ideal place for employment. In a pinch Pinellas Co. could work...

Thanks in advance for any leads or direction.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 02:57 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Well there are going to be a lot of IT ppl on the street starting this month with a layoff of approx 500 IT ppl in Tampa.
Don't like to be Debbie Downer here but that is a lot of competition.

Might try going to a head hunter or doing temp work for a while. Honestly if you need her income to survive you may be in trouble

Old 09-06-2010, 03:00 PM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Well there are going to be a lot of IT ppl on the street starting this month with a layoff of approx 500 IT ppl in Tampa.
Don't like to be Debbie Downer here but that is a lot of competition.

Might try going to a head hunter or doing temp work for a while. Honestly if you need her income to survive you may be in trouble
Yes, we are aware of the glut of IT people, but not all of them are in her functional area. She is not in the area yet, but when she gets ready to head this way she'll be making the rounds of headhunters and such.

Fortunately, we will not need her income to survive, so she'll have time to find something.

RM

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,657,284 times
I would also suggest using a recruiter. My husband is a mainframe programmer. The last few weeks he has gotten a lot of calls from various recruiters. Things seem to be picking up. He starts a new job tomorrow as a consultant.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Glad to hear that annaegel.. I have several friends who looked for a year after being layed off. Of course, most want to stay in Tampa.

I feel really bad for all my friends who are loosing their jobs due to outsourcing out of the country.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,635,836 times
IT is one of those fields where not too long ago, positions were plentiful and it was one of the best-paying fields in town. Now positions are few and far between, competition is immense, and the pay rates that are being offered are often what used to be entry-level rates with little to no benefits, even for advanced positions with a string of must-have qualifications. Because companies are inundated with resumes and can afford to be super picky. So best of luck to you, but I certainly would not expect it to be easy for her to find employment in her field at this time. You never know of course, maybe her timing will be fortuitous and it will all work out. If you don't want to rely on luck, now would be the time for a head hunter unless she is one of those people who is a natural "networker" who can fit into the Tampa business culture, or has previous connections that she can try.

She might want to consider freelancing as well, although it has tax implications that must be considered. Really, it all depends on her area of expertise and you haven't really told us that.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Age is also going to be a factor. Someone with over 30 yrs experience who may be the best candidate is going to run into age discrimination.

It is illegal but very hard to prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay