Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:16 AM

113 posts, read 279,256 times

Advertisements

I was leaning toward moving to Brandon or Riverview since its a little more inland, but not too far from the beach, and also appeared to have a community college nearby. However when I checked the reviews for many different apartments at Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. I see tons of people talking about drug deals on the properties, cars getting broken into or stolen, apts getting broken into during the day, and all kinds of other crime. These arent even the cheap apts (like $700 or less), I was looking into ones that ranges around $900. I was wondering is Brandon a bad area to live in, or maybe this is just typical apartment complex b.s. I do have a nice car and wouldnt want anything happening to it. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 AM

15 posts, read 35,345 times
I live in a condo in Riverview. Very nice community and have never had any big issues here....just some loud young adults every now and then. It's a gated community and they keep making changes to make it safer. The area is great, everything is close by. The schools...eh...could be better in my opinion, but my kids are all doing well there. And the place I live in, is in the price range you're looking for. Good luck

Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,089 times
As I told you in your PM to me, I"ve never seen this so called "crime" in Brandon, but it could vary by neighborhood to neighborhood. We also live closer on the outskirts of brandon (near bloomingdale st).

Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisredfield96 View Post
I was leaning toward moving to Brandon or Riverview since its a little more inland, but not too far from the beach, and also appeared to have a community college nearby. However when I checked the reviews for many different apartments at Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. I see tons of people talking about drug deals on the properties, cars getting broken into or stolen, apts getting broken into during the day, and all kinds of other crime. These arent even the cheap apts (like $700 or less), I was looking into ones that ranges around $900. I was wondering is Brandon a bad area to live in, or maybe this is just typical apartment complex b.s. I do have a nice car and wouldnt want anything happening to it. thanks.
Have you been to either of these communities? If not, you may want to drive around the entire Tampa Bay area and take a look around.

That Apartment Ratings website IMO is where upset tenants go to complain. Its about the only place they can go and be heard by prospective tenants. So I would assume you'll hear more bad than good at that site. Now does that mean they are exaggerating or lying?? Who knows?

Not sure what you classify as as "not too far from the beach". How far do you believe these places to be from the beach (driving time). One thing my wife and I realized when moving down here is that this area is MUCH MUCH larger and things are much further apart than you think they are when you look at a map, even using the scale measurement.

Brandon and Riverview are easily 60 - 90 minutes from Pinellas County Beaches.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM

621 posts, read 1,614,933 times
I lived in Brandon off Providence Road.. don't move anywhere near Providence and 60. Gunshots, cars stolen, drug deals in the parking lots... scary place..

Old 09-23-2010, 04:12 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
I lived in Brandon off Providence Road.. don't move anywhere near Providence and 60. Gunshots, cars stolen, drug deals in the parking lots... scary place..
I wish there was a laughing smiley on the site for comments like that.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:32 PM

I was looking at an apt that is close to 10th Ave and also near this SR60 that everyone here seems to say bad things about. So I take it SR60 is a traffic congested road/highway? I will drive around the area for sure to see how it looks, but I wanted to try to have some places in mind in advance so I know where to check out when I get there. thanks.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Have you been to either of these communities? If not, you may want to drive around the entire Tampa Bay area and take a look around.

That Apartment Ratings website IMO is where upset tenants go to complain. Its about the only place they can go and be heard by prospective tenants. So I would assume you'll hear more bad than good at that site. Now does that mean they are exaggerating or lying?? Who knows?

Not sure what you classify as as "not too far from the beach". How far do you believe these places to be from the beach (driving time). One thing my wife and I realized when moving down here is that this area is MUCH MUCH larger and things are much further apart than you think they are when you look at a map, even using the scale measurement.

Brandon and Riverview are easily 60 - 90 minutes from Pinellas County Beaches.
You are right about those apt rating sites and people's complaints, however when I see a lot of complaints about break ins to apt or cars, or car getting vandalized/stolen it makes me wonder, especially when I looked up my current apt and saw no such complaints like those. It made me think that maybe that part of Brandon was ghetto, but it could just be typical apt b.s.

An apt complex in Brandon told me they are 30 to 45 mins from the Pinellas beaches, but I think they are lying. I will find out when I visit.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,011,838 times
The drug trend here gets downright disturbing. Usually I find used needles laying around on the sidewalks down Parsons late at night. Luckily for me, I found this during the day:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs663.snc4/60301_474276770041_641625041_7173304_801902_n.jpg (broken link)

It was found in a grass median at a busy shopping center off 60 and Kings. I don't think the problem is as much the crime as it is the influx of bums around here. Apparently, according to everyone who's lived here longer than me, this is a "new thing." All I know is that I've never seen the stuff that happens in Brandon while living in Tampa.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,238 times
As I posted in another thread, I frequently visit in the Brandon Area off of Providence Road and it's the only community that I've seen that has a HUGE mobile Lighted traffic sign, like at major construction sites, with the words; "LOCK YOUR VEHICLE AND DO NOT LEAVE BELONGINGS, REPORT ALL SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY".

This was right on Providence road.

I'm just stating the facts, you can make your own generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay