Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:41 PM

113 posts, read 279,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
How could you equate them wanting to only give state resident tuition rates to actual state residents to the state not wanting anyone to move here?

It was people trying to get around the system in the first place that made them put tougher restrictions in place.

Why should my children, who have lived here their entire lives, be paying the same tuition as someone that moved to the state a few months before for the sole purpose of getting resident tuition rates. It is the residents who have lived here who have paid taxes to enable the state university system to offer lower tuition to residents.
I have no problem with the 12 month rule, most states do that. I had to wait 12 months when I moved to a different state, but when my 12 months were up I didnt have to prove this much to enroll. It looks to me like FL has a lot of heavy restrictions on certain things, more than most states. They must have had a lot of people cheating the system or something. I was already planning on getting a passport because I heard that FL has new rules for Drivers License requirements even for current residents, and having a passport usually gets your DL faster than going through birth certificate and whatever else they want. I dont like the idea of not being sure if I will even pass their residency tests for college after I have lived there for a year. I should have looked into the school part of it first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 01:03 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisredfield96 View Post
I have no problem with the 12 month rule, most states do that. I had to wait 12 months when I moved to a different state, but when my 12 months were up I didnt have to prove this much toenroll. It looks to me like FL has a lot of heavy restrictions on certain things, more than most states. They must have had a lot of people cheating the system or something. I was already planning on getting a passport because I heard that FL has new rules for Drivers License requirements even for current residents, and having a passport usually gets your DL faster than going through birth certificate and whatever else they want. I dont like the idea of not being sure if I will even pass their residency tests for college after I have lived there for a year. I should have looked into the school part of it first.

That is true.

When I went to my college in NYS I just signed a paper saying I was a resident no license or documents to verify.

Here is more info about Florida Higher Education Residency Statues:
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
That is true.

When I went to my college in NYS I just signed a paper saying I was a resident no license or documents to verify.

Seems NY has close to the same requirements as Florida

Quote:
At SUNY's State-operated campuses (University Centers, University Colleges, and Technology Colleges), students are generally considered New York State residents if they have established their domicile in New York State for at least twelve months prior to the last day of the registration period of a particular term.

1. Generally, individuals who have maintained their domicile in New York for a period of fewer than twelve months prior to the end of registration are presumed to be out-of-state residents and are not eligible for the resident tuition rate.
2. Individuals who are financially dependent and whose custodial parent(s) lives in a state other than New York are generally not eligible for the resident tuition rate. However, students of divorced or legally separated parents may acquire a New York State domicile if the custodial parent is a New York State resident or if the student resides with a non-custodial parent who is a New York State resident and the student intends to continue to reside with that parent throughout their attendance at SUNY.
3. Individuals do not meet the twelve-month residency requirement if domiciled in New York State primarily to attend college.

Proof of Domicile

Campuses rely on documents and circumstances such as, but not limited to, the following to determine if an individual's domicile is in New York State. For financially dependent students, the campus relies on documents relating to the parents or legal guardian.

1. Duration of physical presence in NY.
2. State of residency of the student's family.
3. NY State voter registration.
4. NY State driver's license.
5. NY State motor vehicle registration.
6. NY State real property ownership.
7. NY State residential rental lease.
8. NY State income tax returns.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Most other states I check you also need to be a resident for 12 months to get the resident rate

Old 11-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
That is true.

Did you wait the full 12 months in FL and then you still had to appeal 3 times for residency? Did you already have your Drivers License and whatever else they require?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Seems NY has close to the same requirements as Florida

Thats at SUNY schools. I did not attend a SUNY school. I attended a community college in which you sign this form only and get it notorized no documents, once I was declared a resident their I do not need to provide documents to the university.

http://www.monroecc.edu/webdocs/rescert.pdf

Old 11-06-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisredfield96 View Post
Did you wait the full 12 months in FL and then you still had to appeal 3 times for residency? Did you already have your Drivers License and whatever else they require?

I waited 15 months, had a lease, drivers license, voters registration, passport and utility bills. They still made me appeal 3 times because they thought I came here only for college.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I waited 15 months, had a lease, drivers license, voters registration, passport and utility bills. They still made me appeal 3 times because they thought I came here only for college.
Oh my God, that's crazy. I will have to think this over and see if I want to take that risk of them screwing around with me too. Maybe when I visit Tampa in a few weeks I will like it so much that I will just move and chance it.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:28 PM

58 posts, read 147,942 times
Quote:
HCC follows the same rules as USF. It is a Florida law not a school policy that was enacted in July 2009. It took me over 3 appeals to actually get instate at HCC and I am an independent, I don't even wanna know what its like as a dependent to try and get it.
I've talked to multiple people at the HCC cashiers office. They didn't make it seem hard at all. Based on what they said, residency is no problem as long as you have four documents proving Florida residency that are at least one year old.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyice View Post
I've talked to multiple people at the HCC cashiers office. They didn't make it seem hard at all. Based on what they said, residency is no problem as long as you have four documents proving Florida residency that are at least one year old.
I am going to call them Monday and confirm what I can provide is good enough. I just need to make sure I can get in after 12 months, I cant have what happened to CheerBaby happen to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: