Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times

Advertisements

The area around Manhattan and Bay to Bay is great. (I live around there!) The areas around Dale Mabry are really only undesirable once you go south of Gandy. Sunset Park as a whole is a very nice neighborhood. Most of the homes are well-kept and there are always kids out on some blocks.

You'll be very close to Westshore Mall, which has a Penney's, Sears, Macy's, and Saks Fifth Avenue. About a mile north of that is International Plaza, a more upscale mall. There's a Target at Gandy and Dale Mabry, as well as at Dale Mabry and 275. There are Walmarts down the street from the first Target and across the street from the second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 AM

82 posts, read 180,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
The area around Manhattan and Bay to Bay is great. (I live around there!) The areas around Dale Mabry are really only undesirable once you go south of Gandy. Sunset Park as a whole is a very nice neighborhood. Most of the homes are well-kept and there are always kids out on some blocks.

You'll be very close to Westshore Mall, which has a Penney's, Sears, Macy's, and Saks Fifth Avenue. About a mile north of that is International Plaza, a more upscale mall. There's a Target at Gandy and Dale Mabry, as well as at Dale Mabry and 275. There are Walmarts down the street from the first Target and across the street from the second.
The Target off Dale Mabry by 275 is really cool, it's on the second floor and you park in a parking garage. Maybe I'm just weird that I find things like that cool.

Has anyone mentioned Channelside? Hyde Park? those are my two favorite areas in Tampa. If I wasn't leaning more towards Treasure Island or somewhere ON the Gulf I'd probably get a place in Channelside.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Welcome to Tampa. Are you buying a home right away? I would suggest renting for a year first so you get a better lay of the land. Most likely you'll discover a neighborhood right next to the one you are renting in that you really want to live in.

We've been in our rental home for 5 months now (wow.... already??) and have decided upon a couple different neighborhoods that we want to buy in once our lease is up. Took a couple months to determine which neighborhood/subdivision suits us best.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,665 times
There is gold course close to bay to bay and mcdill, although i have no idea how pricey it is. Also there is a sams club just south of Gandy on Dale, you might find it a better deal for bulk purchases than target or wallmart.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Welcome to Tampa. Are you buying a home right away? I would suggest renting for a year first so you get a better lay of the land. Most likely you'll discover a neighborhood right next to the one you are renting in that you really want to live in.

We've been in our rental home for 5 months now (wow.... already??) and have decided upon a couple different neighborhoods that we want to buy in once our lease is up. Took a couple months to determine which neighborhood/subdivision suits us best.

Kash it is really hard to believe you have been in Florida for 5 months.

You surely must have picked the right area for you and your family to be out looking for a home to buy down the road.

Congrats to you on your successful Florida move!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
There is gold course close to bay to bay and mcdill, although i have no idea how pricey it is. Also there is a sams club just south of Gandy on Dale, you might find it a better deal for bulk purchases than target or wallmart.
That's the Palma Ceia Country Club. Membership required. The only public courses that I know of are at Rowlett Park and then Babe Zaharias. I'm positive that there are more, but since I don't golf, I have no idea where they are.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
That's the Palma Ceia Country Club. Membership required. The only public courses that I know of are at Rowlett Park and then Babe Zaharias. I'm positive that there are more, but since I don't golf, I have no idea where they are.
That does not surprise me at all, based on cars you can see around Since i don't golf, i can only tell you what i see while driving at work

Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 AM

76 posts, read 78,257 times
I do want to buy a home a settle in soon since my kids are getting to the point where they are starting school and I want them to have a permanent home and neighborhood where they can start making friends. Hyde Park seems like a nice neighborhood but the lots seem smaller. In Michigan my lot was only 40 feet wide. I like the spread out lots in Sunset Park. I'm going to have a pool and would like a little room left over. It seems in Tampa they really lack parks? I guess people spend more time at the beaches. In Michigan every neighborhood had a park. It kind of made up for the small lots. Another oddity I noticed is the lack of sidewalks. Not only were sidewalks missing, but some abruptly end and then start back up again. It's as if they never finished installing them.

What are some suggestions for good beaches? I'm guessing I'd have to go over to Clearwater?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay FL View Post
I do want to buy a home a settle in soon since my kids are getting to the point where they are starting school and I want them to have a permanent home and neighborhood where they can start making friends. Hyde Park seems like a nice neighborhood but the lots seem smaller. In Michigan my lot was only 40 feet wide. I like the spread out lots in Sunset Park. I'm going to have a pool and would like a little room left over. It seems in Tampa they really lack parks? I guess people spend more time at the beaches. In Michigan every neighborhood had a park. It kind of made up for the small lots. Another oddity I noticed is the lack of sidewalks. Not only were sidewalks missing, but some abruptly end and then start back up again. It's as if they never finished installing them.

What are some suggestions for good beaches? I'm guessing I'd have to go over to Clearwater?
Tampa has around a hundred parks, I think. Mostly neighborhood parks. The one closest to Sunset Park is Friendship Park, on Bay to Bay at Lois. The sidewalk thing is weird. Neighborhoods that were built in the 1950s and 60s usually didn't have them from the beginning (height of the car craze). The city and/or county passed a law that every new construction has to install a sidewalk (so they don't have to do it themselves). This is great in new neighborhoods, but impractical in older neighborhoods, as an old house without a sidewalk could be surrounded by two new houses, each with sidewalks.

Clearwater Beach is a dump. It's very touristy and their whole "renovation" thing turned it into a trashy place. Go to practically any beach south of there--Indian Rocks, Madeira Beach, St. Pete Beach, et cetera--and it will be much better.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 PM

76 posts, read 78,257 times
Ok something else I noticed. On more than one house, the laundry area you have to walk outside to access it. Is there a reason for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay