Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 PM

463 posts, read 1,053,108 times

Advertisements

All right, do you mind the answering this question then: what would you do to stop drivers running red lights? I've never seen so many people driving thru the red light (when other side turns green) in my life until i came to Tampa few months ago.
Also could you please tell me how exactly those cameras invade your privacy? By taking your license plate when you cross the intersection on red light? Are you afraid that after ticketing you for multiple times, big bad government will know that you like to drive on the particular intersection certain times of the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM

436 posts, read 1,121,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
All right, do you mind the answering this question then: what would you do to stop drivers running red lights? I've never seen so many people driving thru the red light (when other side turns green) in my life until i came to Tampa few months ago.
Also could you please tell me how exactly those cameras invade your privacy? By taking your license plate when you cross the intersection on red light? Are you afraid that after ticketing you for multiple times, big bad government will know that you like to drive on the particular intersection certain times of the day?
DC is worse (and Northern VA specifically). Way worse. Northern VA decided to install red light cameras and had to pull them out because the amount of accidents increased dramatically. They made people so paranoid that when they saw a yellow light, even if they were right at the intersection, they were slamming on their brakes, sending the person behind them plowing into the back. It was completely unsafe.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 18,974 times
The red light cameras are incredibly popular where I live. Before we had them people were running red lights en masse. It was beyond ridiculous. Things have really calmed down now. They really have helped. Of course a few complained when the city warned that they were going up.

What really amazes me is how far people go to defend running red lights. It's like it's their right. It doesn't matter about the horrendous tragedies.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:34 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
DC is worse (and Northern VA specifically). Way worse. Northern VA decided to install red light cameras and had to pull them out because the amount of accidents increased dramatically. They made people so paranoid that when they saw a yellow light, even if they were right at the intersection, they were slamming on their brakes, sending the person behind them plowing into the back. It was completely unsafe.
i can vouch for this, as i've seen numerous accidents happen that were directly caused by these cameras. there was one installed at a busy intersection very close to where i live, and several others nearby. as soon as people started catching on to what that "strobe light in their rear view" was as soon as they ran a red, people started slamming on the brake pedal as soon as they saw yellow. since everyone tailgates around here as it is, this really screwed things up.

if i recall, there were studies done that showed these cameras had no positive effect on driver safety/accident reduction. i'll have to research this later and see if i can find the article(s).

you folks who defend the cameras, just wait and see.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:44 AM

463 posts, read 1,053,108 times
If you could, please provide the study that shows accident increase or same rate of accidents before and after cameras were installed.
Yes there will be people who tailgate and people who will slam on their brakes at the first sign of yellow. But have you people forgot to leave safe distance between your car and car in front of you? I recall it's about length of two cars that should be left.
Also i rather have someone slamming in their back than on drivers/passenger door in T type of collision.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
i can vouch for this, as i've seen numerous accidents happen that were directly caused by these cameras. there was one installed at a busy intersection very close to where i live, and several others nearby. as soon as people started catching on to what that "strobe light in their rear view" was as soon as they ran a red, people started slamming on the brake pedal as soon as they saw yellow. since everyone tailgates around here as it is, this really screwed things up.

if i recall, there were studies done that showed these cameras had no positive effect on driver safety/accident reduction. i'll have to research this later and see if i can find the article(s).

you folks who defend the cameras, just wait and see.
Exactly! They only make matters worse. While DC has more road rage than Tampa Bay, it's not like the drivers there are exactly calm. There are definitely tailgaters and aggressive drivers. Be aware when approaching lights that the driver in front of you may (stupidly) slam on his/her brakes, even if it'd be much safer to go through the yellow light.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
I have said it before (must be a different thread about the same thing) that if people would stop tailgating, they would have time to stop if the person in front of them slammed on their brakes. I like the red light cameras. Like someone else said, I would rather be rear-ended than be t-boned by someone running a red light. If people would leave enough space between cars, we wouldn't have to be worried about the car behind us hitting us if we have to slam on our brakes for some reason. People slam on their brakes for a number of reasons. You should always be prepared for that anyway.

I had a friend to was a tailgater. I hated being in the car with her. When I asked why she did it, she said she was tired of people cutting her off, so she made sure there wasn't enough space for people to do that any more. I showed her that if you follow the 3 second rule, people have space to get over in front of you or behind you without cutting anyone off. It is a lot less stressful to drive when you leave space between the cars. Traffic also moves much better and you can get more cars through a light because there is less brake tapping.

If you leave enough space, you have plenty of time to stop for a red light and the person behind you does as well. Then you don't have to worry about the red light cameras.

For all of you who think it is all about them trying to make easy money, if you don't run a red light you won't get a ticket and they won't get your money. If no one gets tickets, then they don't make any money and they will probably remove the camera. So, you can beat the system by playing along for a while. Maybe in the mean time, it will also start teaching drivers new and better habits and we will have safer roads.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I have said it before (must be a different thread about the same thing) that if people would stop tailgating, they would have time to stop if the person in front of them slammed on their brakes. I like the red light cameras. Like someone else said, I would rather be rear-ended than be t-boned by someone running a red light. If people would leave enough space between cars, we wouldn't have to be worried about the car behind us hitting us if we have to slam on our brakes for some reason. People slam on their brakes for a number of reasons. You should always be prepared for that anyway.

I had a friend to was a tailgater. I hated being in the car with her. When I asked why she did it, she said she was tired of people cutting her off, so she made sure there wasn't enough space for people to do that any more. I showed her that if you follow the 3 second rule, people have space to get over in front of you or behind you without cutting anyone off. It is a lot less stressful to drive when you leave space between the cars. Traffic also moves much better and you can get more cars through a light because there is less brake tapping.

If you leave enough space, you have plenty of time to stop for a red light and the person behind you does as well. Then you don't have to worry about the red light cameras.

For all of you who think it is all about them trying to make easy money, if you don't run a red light you won't get a ticket and they won't get your money. If no one gets tickets, then they don't make any money and they will probably remove the camera. So, you can beat the system by playing along for a while. Maybe in the mean time, it will also start teaching drivers new and better habits and we will have safer roads.
This did not work in the DC area. People are huge tailgaters in the area and I feel will always be. Your friend is right about leaving too much space, sadly, because people will continue to constantly cut you off.

I'm hoping the drivers are a little more chill in Tampa Bay, compared to DC. One can only hope.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
This did not work in the DC area. People are huge tailgaters in the area and I feel will always be. Your friend is right about leaving too much space, sadly, because people will continue to constantly cut you off.

I'm hoping the drivers are a little more chill in Tampa Bay, compared to DC. One can only hope.
I drive US 19 and State Road 54 every day. I can tell you that I haven't been cut off in years. I leave 3 seconds between my car and the car in front of me and that leaves plenty of space for people to get over. I move on a nice steady pace without having to slam on the brakes and then accelerate again. I used to think the same way you do, but when I tried driving this way I realized how much more pleasant driving can be. I also save a lot of gas. Now I only have to worry about the moron behind me that is tailgating and not leaving enough space if I have to slam on my brakes because a dog runs in front of my car (or something like that).

Try it. You will be amazed at how well it works. Make sure you are doing the 3 seconds though. If you are any closer than that, you are asking to be cut off.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:54 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,751,109 times
All of these idiots deserve tickets and I'm glad a camera was there to catch them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh8VC2LMoCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVuEQyZKsQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhK-wuPwucI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBg_oApbwY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay