Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:16 PM

23 posts, read 96,896 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a home (condo) in the Tampa Bay area, but I am not really sure where I should be looking.

At the moment, my heart is set on Westchase (West Park Village), but I recently visited a friend who lives on Harbor Island and found that area to pretty nice.

As you can imagine I would like to be in an area where the 'young professional' demographic is prevalent. I'm 23, so I doubt a house is within reach, so I am looking into condos.

St. Pete will be to far south (as I work in Odessa - though I would be driving against traffic), so Tampa is about as far south as I'd like to go.

Can anyone recommend any other areas around the Tampa Bay area that I should be looking in to?

Depending on the monthly maintenance costs, I'm probably looking to spend around $150,000, so that is certainly a constraint.

Also, if anyone has any general information for a first time home buyer in the Tampa area that would be greatly appreciated.

In the mean time I'm going to search around here.

Thanks,

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
matt,

you should definitely rent at first until you find an area that you really like. Westchase isn't the best option for a young single guy. I moved here when I was 25 (27 now) and made a bad rental decision, which would have been much worse if i purchased. You might want to let us know what your interests are, do you like nightlife? culture? Where will you be working, as your commute could be treacherous. That will help people point you in the right direction. I now live in westshore across from INTL plaza. I would recommend that or SoHo/Hyde Park or Channelside.

Another thing to consider is that if you purchase, you will have to pay association fees, which could be anywhere from 200-600 a month.

You might want to look at your monthly budget as opposed to a purchase price. this will help you analyze whether or not you should rent. Last point aside, I still recommend renting.

I purchased a property at 23, which I regret doing, as now I am renting it and taking a loss each month. My rental income puts well over 100K a year and uncle same is eating me alive as a single guy with no dependents. I paid over 20K in taxes this year and I am still gonna owe when I file. Rent and enjoy the fruits of your hard work with your new job, purchase when you settle in to tampa and know you aren't going anywhere for a while.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:58 PM

^^ Just saw you work in odessa. I would strongly consider the area I live in as I am a mile from veterans Pkway, which runs right through odessa. it is maybe 15 mins from here. You will be traveling opposite traffic but even if you werent, veterans is not too bad. It is a toll road though. I am walking distance from Bay Street, and about 3 miles from South Howard/Hyde Park.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
matt,

you should definitely rent at first until you find an area that you really like. Westchase isn't the best option for a young single guy. I moved here when I was 25 (27 now) and made a bad rental decision, which would have been much worse if i purchased. You might want to let us know what your interests are, do you like nightlife? culture? Where will you be working, as your commute could be treacherous. That will help people point you in the right direction. I now live in westshore across from INTL plaza. I would recommend that or SoHo/Hyde Park or Channelside.

Another thing to consider is that if you purchase, you will have to pay association fees, which could be anywhere from 200-600 a month.

You might want to look at your monthly budget as opposed to a purchase price. this will help you analyze whether or not you should rent. Last point aside, I still recommend renting.

I purchased a property at 23, which I regret doing, as now I am renting it and taking a loss each month. My rental income puts well over 100K a year and uncle same is eating me alive as a single guy with no dependents. I paid over 20K in taxes this year and I am still gonna owe when I file. Rent and enjoy the fruits of your hard work with your new job, purchase when you settle in to tampa and know you aren't going anywhere for a while.
Quote:
^^ Just saw you work in odessa. I would strongly consider the area I live in as I am a mile from veterans Pkway, which runs right through odessa. it is maybe 15 mins from here. You will be traveling opposite traffic but even if you werent, veterans is not too bad. It is a toll road though. I am walking distance from Bay Street, and about 3 miles from South Howard/Hyde Park.
You know Craig, I have been reading a lot of convincing publications that renting is (can be) a better solution than buying. I think you make an excellent point about renting in an area, making sure I like it, and then maybe think about buying down the road. I think I was so captivated by the $8,000 tax credit, that it may have clouded reality for me.

And after reading a ton of threads here, it seems SoHo/Hyde Park is where it's at for the younger single professional. Also Harbor Island, but that may be a bit pricier.

Any recommendations on websites that will help me find places around Tampa to rent from?

To answer your questions...

I am very much into the 'nightlife' and would really prefer to be in an area where I can walk to the local bars and restaurants as opposed to a 20 min drive.

I would say my monthly budget for housing is around 1,000-1,200. I don't want to be 'house poor' but I'd really like to be in a nicer area with decent housing (hoping for 1,000 sq. ft., but it seems I may have to settle for 7-800 ).

I work about 7 minutes off of the SR-54 exit on the Veterans. And driving against traffic doesn't have me too concerned about the commute from the SoHo/Hyde area.

Thanks for the quick responses thus far, very much appreciated!

Last edited by UCFGrad52; 02-12-2010 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 03:53 PM

Hyde Park is the place. for 1,000 to 1,200 you will find some great places. If you want to walk to some of the best nightlife in tampa, get as close to south howard ave as possible. You will find that it is a trendy, upscale, professional, good looking crowd. You will find the same atmosphere where I am @ International Plaza, but it is usually a little bit of an older crowd. In reality, Where I live and SoHo (South Howard) are about 5 minutes apart. Another difference is SoHo is kind of old and has character (the inside of most of the bars and clubs are very upscale though) whereas International Plaza is very new and sheik. In my opinion, as far as nightlife atmosphere Intl Plaza takes a close second to SoHo in Tampa. Luckily they are very close and you cant go wrong in either place.

For Intl Plaza/North Westshore - Check out:

Phillips International Drive Apartments for Rent in Tampa Florida: Home - This is where I live now
Luxury Apartment Rentals | The Millennium Luxury Apartments for Rent - Very trendy, almost channelside district like.

For SoHo/Hyde Park:

You are really going to need to check craigslist. There are very few apartments there, but tons of condos. you will likely have to rent privately. That is really one of the main reasons I didn't move to SoHo, although if you find a good deal and a reputable, stable landlord in this economy, SoHo is the place to be.

If you are dead set on SoHo, TampaGuy03 will hopefully chime in and provide some good advice. He is the resident expert on Tampa around here, more specifically South Tampa.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Hyde Park is the place. for 1,000 to 1,200 you will find some great places. If you want to walk to some of the best nightlife in tampa, get as close to south howard ave as possible. You will find that it is a trendy, upscale, professional, good looking crowd. You will find the same atmosphere where I am @ International Plaza, but it is usually a little bit of an older crowd. In reality, Where I live and SoHo (South Howard) are about 5 minutes apart. Another difference is SoHo is kind of old and has character (the inside of most of the bars and clubs are very upscale though) whereas International Plaza is very new and sheik. In my opinion, as far as nightlife atmosphere Intl Plaza takes a close second to SoHo in Tampa. Luckily they are very close and you cant go wrong in either place.

For Intl Plaza/North Westshore - Check out:

Phillips International Drive Apartments for Rent in Tampa Florida: Home - This is where I live now
Luxury Apartment Rentals | The Millennium Luxury Apartments for Rent - Very trendy, almost channelside district like.

For SoHo/Hyde Park:

You are really going to need to check craigslist. There are very few apartments there, but tons of condos. you will likely have to rent privately. That is really one of the main reasons I didn't move to SoHo, although if you find a good deal and a reputable, stable landlord in this economy, SoHo is the place to be.

If you are dead set on SoHo, TampaGuy03 will hopefully chime in and provide some good advice. He is the resident expert on Tampa around here, more specifically South Tampa.
Wow, thanks for the response Craig; excellent info!

I've been on Craiglist for a little bit now and have come across some places that are intriguing. I'm just not sure if they are in a 'safe' area or are in a 'prime' location, and if the place themselves are built well (quality).

I guess now that I'm fairly set on that area, I'm at the stage of where specifically should I be looking; complexes, locations, etc.

I think I'm going to take a drive around that area today and get a better feel for it. I'm not at all familiar with the area.

Here's what I have come across on CL;

Completely Renovated 2 Bed/1Bath in the Heart of Hyde Park (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1598693092.html - broken link)
(SUPER SWEET!!) 2BD / 1BA - NEWLY Renovated and Spacious Condo (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1598455165.html - broken link)
Hyde Park/SOHO/Bayshore $1050 2br/1ba -Low Deposit (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1598380954.html - broken link)
Loft Style One Bedroom On Harbour Island!! (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1575020787.html - broken link)
1/1 on Harbour Island, No Deposits, 85 Moves you in!!! (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1581334970.html - broken link)

Harbour Island is a bit more expensive, but is it considered a 'better' location/area. Is the mix of people any different?

I know the $/sqft is more, but I don't mind to trade-off less space for better location. After all I'm a young, single male, I don't need a big place.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:40 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,927 times

Completely Renovated 2 Bed/1Bath in the Heart of Hyde Park (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1598693092.html - broken link)
(SUPER SWEET!!) 2BD / 1BA - NEWLY Renovated and Spacious Condo (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1598455165.html - broken link)
Hyde Park/SOHO/Bayshore $1050 2br/1ba -Low Deposit (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1598380954.html - broken link)
Loft Style One Bedroom On Harbour Island!! (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1575020787.html - broken link)
1/1 on Harbour Island, No Deposits, 85 Moves you in!!! (http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/apa/1581334970.html - broken link)

The first one on Armenia is an AWESOME location, they used to be apartments, you can walk everywhere from here.

The second one looks to be in the same location

1301 Howard - ANOTHER great location..these were also apartments at one time, they have been nicely updated..walk everywhere from here, great access to bayshore blvd, I encourage you to drive or walk around the streets directly in front of this place, there are small apartments, garage aprartments, etc, that dont advertise, and may just have a 'for rent' sign out front. Also drive around the Palm Avenue area(streets like Texas, Mississippi, etc.)

Harbour Island - cant go wrong here at all...walking to downtown, Channelside, streetcar to Ybor, about a mile from Hyde Park/SOHO area...nice mix of professionals. Have a beer and maybe some sushi at Jackson's, check out Cafe Dufrain - YUM!!!

Also, drive east on Swann Avenue from Dale Mabry Hwy towards bayshore blvd...there are some older small complexes, as you get closer to Howard Ave(east of Henderson), start driving around the area north of Swann for some hidden small apartments..there are many hidden "Melrose Place" types out there....east of Howard Avenue cruise up and down streets like Albany, Westland, Freemont and Melville., then past the Village, north of Swann side streets.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post

The first one on Armenia is an AWESOME location, they used to be apartments, you can walk everywhere from here.

The second one looks to be in the same location

1301 Howard - ANOTHER great location..these were also apartments at one time, they have been nicely updated..walk everywhere from here, great access to bayshore blvd, I encourage you to drive or walk around the streets directly in front of this place, there are small apartments, garage aprartments, etc, that dont advertise, and may just have a 'for rent' sign out front. Also drive around the Palm Avenue area(streets like Texas, Mississippi, etc.)

Harbour Island - cant go wrong here at all...walking to downtown, Channelside, streetcar to Ybor, about a mile from Hyde Park/SOHO area...nice mix of professionals. Have a beer and maybe some sushi at Jackson's, check out Cafe Dufrain - YUM!!!

Also, drive east on Swann Avenue from Dale Mabry Hwy towards bayshore blvd...there are some older small complexes, as you get closer to Howard Ave(east of Henderson), start driving around the area north of Swann for some hidden small apartments..there are many hidden "Melrose Place" types out there....east of Howard Avenue cruise up and down streets like Albany, Westland, Freemont and Melville., then past the Village, north of Swann side streets.
Whew! I'm glad I checked this just before I left. Thank you so much TampaGuy!

I'm going to gather some notes and go for a drive.

I'll report back my thoughts later today.

Thanks for the help thus far gents!

Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 AM

As I head out the door, I'll leave you guys with this;

Hyde Park Apartments for Rent | Current Availability | 813-254-0372 | South Tampa Vicinity | Florida Apartment Rental

It seems they have some very good locations throughout the area. The only apartment that has reviews listed for it on 'apartmentratings.com' is the Georgian, but they all appear to be very well maintained. Just curious if you guys have heard anything about their string of apartments.

Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:03 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFGrad52 View Post
As I head out the door, I'll leave you guys with this;

Hyde Park Apartments for Rent | Current Availability | 813-254-0372 | South Tampa Vicinity | Florida Apartment Rental

It seems they have some very good locations throughout the area. The only apartment that has reviews listed for it on 'apartmentratings.com' is the Georgian, but they all appear to be very well maintained. Just curious if you guys have heard anything about their string of apartments.

Thanks again!
Ive been in the Leslie and The Dakota, very nice places, large floor plans, EXCELLENT locations. The Georgian is an old school house, may not be the quietest, but as far as location..GREAT!!!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay