Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:03 AM

23 posts, read 56,199 times

Advertisements

HI! My husband will be starting at Bayfront Medical in 2 months and wemyself and the kdis will be moving down from PA at the end of the school year. We want to be within a half hour of his work as he works alot and nights sometimes. I have been reading alot on here and gathered Seminole, Palms harbor are "nice areas" and good schools anyother areas we should investigate when we go down next month? We are open to rentingn or buying just want a small town feel as we come from a upper middle class suburb outside Philly and will miss it. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Kelli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If you drive up 4th st. there are some nice areas once you get past 9th ave N,
Bayfront Medical center isnt situated in the greatest of areas.
As for small town feel? its St Petersburg, Pop 250,000

Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Tarpon and Dunedin come to mind...longer commute for sure but those towns are adorable!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:55 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Safety Harbor has that small town feel. Palm Harbor is more of a Big subdivision. Nice area though. Oldsmar is another small town but the downtown is not as developed. Maybe Annie from Oldsmar can give you some more info about area. Dunnedin is nice but Tarpon Springs is really far away from Bayfront

There are a lot of great areas all around St. Pete. Mostly older homes in St Pete so if you are looking for a new(er) home then check out Palm Harbor.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
You might want to check out the beach communities of Redington or Indian Rocks, could be pricey but you didnt say what your financial criteria is .

Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
I'd suggest you look around Coffee Pot Bayou, Crescent Lake and Shore Acres. Those will be the closest to Bayfront. Also nice but a little further away in Gulfport are Kipps Colony and Skimmer Point aka Pasadena Yacht & Country Club (not Pasadena Golf Club), and Jungle. Don't rule out Belleair either...nice homes in good neighborhoods. In Palm Harbor, I like Boot Ranch.

Overall, you will find a plethoria of homes from which to choose. Just be mindful that short sales can take a long time to buy and if you're renting, that the owner is not upside and is paying the mortgage (where applicable).

Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM

6 posts, read 21,828 times
Oldsmar is 27 miles north about a 40 minute commute from Bayside, a friend of mine worked there and it was not a bad commute from Eastlake Woodlands which is in Oldsmar. There are a lot of nice parks in that area and beaches are within 20 minutes. Good schools for FL too.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyann6 View Post
Oldsmar is 27 miles north about a 40 minute commute from Bayside, a friend of mine worked there and it was not a bad commute from Eastlake Woodlands which is in Oldsmar. There are a lot of nice parks in that area and beaches are within 20 minutes. Good schools for FL too.

I second (or is it third?) Oldsmar/East Lake Woodlands. I moved there from Philadelphia two weeks ago and love it! Housing ranges in pretty much all price brackets, from condominiums to larger pool homes. The average 3-4 bedroom pool home is in the 250K range. The area is not as congested as the southern/central parts of Pinellas County. There are a ton of services (restaurants/shopping), it's very safe and the school system is excellent.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 PM

23 posts, read 56,199 times
Thank you so much for all this info Oldmar is probably going to be our first pick If anyone can recommend a realtor as we dont know a soul besides my husbands employer!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM

55 posts, read 114,047 times
Kelli, what part of Philly suburbs are you from? If you are looking for the subdivisions with a big yard (Bucks County), I would also suggest the North Pinellas areas such as East Lake, Palm Harbor, Oldsmar etc. However, that is a distance in my opinion. I would also look at the Historic Old Northeast, Coffee Pot Bayou areas in St Pete and also the Pasadena Yacht Cub area in Gulfport is definitely close enough to Bayfront but that development is upper middle class (doctors, lawyers etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay