Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM

6 posts, read 12,685 times

Advertisements

I just don't get it. What is so fun about this event?

The parade is a just bunch of floats that ALL look pretty much the same, with people dressed up in pretty much the same pirate costumes, throwing out pretty much the same beads.

Before and after the parade, what is there to do? You walk up and down Bayshore looking at, well, houses, people, beads/trash on the floor, etc. ZERO entertainment vehicles.

I could see how this would be a fun event IF it were a weekend-long street festival with food booths, and vendors selling cool stuff, and music (bands playing on various stages), and cultural activities specific to the Tampa area. Even the parade could be made more interesting by the addition of non-pirate themed floats/bands/attractions etc.

In addition to all this, it (the Gasparilla festival) takes place in the middle of the day, which makes it even more boring.

But really, it's just a boring, dumb parade. Why do people here find this so amusing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 04:17 PM

150 posts, read 474,628 times
It's fun for the same reason that Mardi Gras is fun. Who cares if it's just people "in the same costumes" and "same floats?" It's another way to have fun and take your mind off your troubles. If you don't like it, don't attend it. That simple. No need to troll.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:36 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
You clearly don't like it. That doesn't mean it's dumb or anything. It's just part of Tampa lore and has been going on for over a hundred years. It's also a series of events, with the children's parade, the day night parade, and the Gasparilla 5K.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 PM

6 posts, read 12,685 times
Mardi Gras in New Orleans has incredible gourmet food, top-class musicians/bands performing, comedy/drama events, magicians, jugglers, singing/dancing, fireworks, pageants, balls, etc.
Also, Mardi Gras is observed all over the world as part of the pre-Lenten celebration.

I don't think you can compare silly Gasparilla (2 "parades" + a 5K???) to Mardi Gras.

I am not "trolling." I am simply saying that Gasparilla could be A LOT BETTER than it currently is. Tampa could really make a world-class event of it. But in its current form, it's silly and boring.

I actually don't find any of the things Tampa people complain about to be offensive (the drinking, the public intoxication, the vandalism, etc.). That all goes with having a great party.

What I actually find offensive is that the city of Tampa spends thousands of my tax dollars on what is basically a boring, second-rate pirate-themed parade (I know that YMKG funds parts of it, and the city funds parts of it).

Old 01-30-2011, 05:03 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
One simple google/bing search results in this: The History of Gasparilla Pirate Fest - Tampa, Florida

Old 01-30-2011, 05:15 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
There is a lot more to Gasparilla than just the invasion. It's a near month long series of events. Children's parade, Ybor night parade, art festival, 5k run, etc. There's a street festival after the pirate invasion, FYI.

Gasparilla Pirate Fest Street Festival - Tampa, Florida

If you're in a krewe or know someone in one, there are all sorts of balls and parties to attend.

But the bottom line is, it's a part of Tampa history, it's unique to this area, and it's a reason to go out, watch a parade, have a few beers, and hang out. I don't go much anymore (I used to live two blocks off Bayshore when I was younger and without kids, and would have a party of my front porch every year), but I don't need much of an excuse to go have fun. Gasparilla gives me a reason. I guess you could say just about anything sucks if you want, but I tend to look at the positive side of things.

If you're not from here, it probably doesn't mean much. They used to have it on a weekday and all the kids got out of school for it.

If you don't like it, don't pay any mind to it. I didn't feel like going this year, and it didn't affect my day by not going. Why are you so negative about it?

Old 01-30-2011, 05:58 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius4 View Post

The parade is a just bunch of floats that ALL look pretty much the same, with people dressed up in pretty much the same pirate costumes, throwing out pretty much the same beads.

Before and after the parade, what is there to do? You walk up and down Bayshore looking at, well, houses, people, beads/trash on the floor, etc. ZERO entertainment vehicles.

I could see how this would be a fun event IF it were a weekend-long street festival with food booths, and vendors selling cool stuff, and music (bands playing on various stages), and cultural activities specific to the Tampa area. Even the parade could be made more interesting by the addition of non-pirate themed floats/bands/attractions etc.

In addition to all this, it (the Gasparilla festival) takes place in the middle of the day, which makes it even more boring.

But really, it's just a boring, dumb parade. Why do people here find this so amusing?
So? No one cares if you like it or not.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:50 PM

357 posts, read 799,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius4 View Post
Let me take a stab at this.
It's Tampa Bay's version of "culture" and just another excuse for the many alcoholics in the area to get trashed.
The childrens parade, 5K, etc. are nice but they are more or less afterthoughts thrown in to legitimize a fake festival.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Talk about Buzz kills. If you can't have fun at Gasparilla than YOU are the boring one. Gasparilla is just a silly parade, but then again, all parades are silly, and that is why they are so fun.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:21 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I have never been there and didn't grow up here BUT I know area have their own traditions and I think your thread name is dis respectful for people who love it and were raised with it...

If you don't like it or don't understand it than don't spoil the fun for others and stay away and your thread is actually more to stir a negative fibe....

I grew up with Carnaval and we have lots of fun and even in a small Country as Holland it is only celebrated in the South...my parents came from the North and only once celebrated it and didn't like it, but they never spoiled it for us and took us to the parade.

If you (OP) don't have the kid in you, I understand it is hard to understand that others can and will have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay