Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:02 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Well, larger than the norm in many cities.. which I'd put at 100ft wide and 180ft deep. Larger the better (for me), but that's the minimum I'd want.
18ksqft is 2-3 lots in most of the bay area. There are some lots that size scattered around, but for a neighborhood of them, you need to look outside of Pinellas and Tampa proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Well, this isn't entirely off-topic, but I was hanging out in St. Pete last Saturday and Central Avenue was hopping, from 4th Street pretty much to 34th Street, just people out and about. There's that dead zone between 9th and 275, but that's pretty much it. The new Taco Bus opened up and the line went down the street.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Well, this isn't entirely off-topic, but I was hanging out in St. Pete last Saturday and Central Avenue was hopping, from 4th Street pretty much to 34th Street, just people out and about. There's that dead zone between 9th and 275, but that's pretty much it. The new Taco Bus opened up and the line went down the street.
I like that the Taco Bus has a permanent sign. I get it... it isn't supposed to be a real lunch wagon... but it is still funny to me for some reason... a bus with a sign set in concrete. A couple Saturdays ago I saw a line down the street at 8 PM. I guess I'll have to try it, but if it is anything less than the best taco I've ever had, I'll be let down

There are some really good shops & restaurants on Central- really unique stuff. It is a really long stretch also, as you mentioned- not just a few blocks. I have heard fears that when/if the Rays leave it will impact these businesses. Maybe the Rays were the catalyst, I don't know- but I don't think an MLB presence is necessary for keeping alive a business that sells Chinese antiques ( as one example.)

Old 03-14-2011, 01:20 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
I like that the Taco Bus has a permanent sign. I get it... it isn't supposed to be a real lunch wagon... but it is still funny to me for some reason... a bus with a sign set in concrete. A couple Saturdays ago I saw a line down the street at 8 PM. I guess I'll have to try it, but if it is anything less than the best taco I've ever had, I'll be let down

There are some really good shops & restaurants on Central- really unique stuff. It is a really long stretch also, as you mentioned- not just a few blocks. I have heard fears that when/if the Rays leave it will impact these businesses. Maybe the Rays were the catalyst, I don't know- but I don't think an MLB presence is necessary for keeping alive a business that sells Chinese antiques ( as one example.)
I heard it was amazing.

That said, it may delicious, but not authentic. I had a taco in Nogalas, Mexico once, it is was mediocre and made me sick for about two days. THAT IS AUTHENTIC!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I heard it was amazing.

That said, it may delicious, but not authentic. I had a taco in Nogalas, Mexico once, it is was mediocre and made me sick for about two days. THAT IS AUTHENTIC!
Right, I was reading a foodie blog post on that exact topic the other day. It basically said that people often put too much emphasis on ethnic authenticity. Food is not a rolex watch (or a ripoff of a rolex watch.) Often, fusion creates food that is better than the sum of the parts.

I will say that I do enjoy an authentic dining "experience"... the ambiance, customs, etc. But if the chef can make something a little better by borrowing a technique or ingredient, let him. And by all means, hold the Montazuma's Revenge on my taco!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:10 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,904 times
All good thoughts here so fart on DTSP and South Tampa/Ybor. I'm a combo of Boho/Upscale myself so basically my time is half spent in Ybor and SoHo.

Although, Seminole Heights was not mentioned on this thread and it definitely deserves notice. Its streets are as nice as any in South Tampa but it's more diverse and affordable, and has the best new establishments around (Refinery, Ella's, Independent). Plus, a sweet restored Publix and cool stores like Sherry's YesterDAZE; not to mention more 24/7 establishments than any Bay Area 'hood I can think of. Sadly its not all too walkable except for the stretch of Florida Ave between Hillsborough and Osbourne roughly. If SH cleans out the used car lots on Florida and Nebraska, gets some swanky street signs/public art to show off the historic status and makes itself more walkable, South Tampa may get passed ala The Tortoise and the Hare.

http://tampa.creativeloafing.com/gyr...ge?oid=1227206

Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 PM

25 posts, read 38,152 times
Quote:
It is true. Go out downtown st pete on a friday night and check out the hobgoblins and gremlins that troll the establishments.

Then go to S. Tampa on a friday night and compare.

That said, the people in Tampa have far worse personalities, but if I am going out with friends, the ambience of pretty people is far more appealing than chain smoking heifers in st pete.

Ive done both places, quite a bit. I am over St Pete. Nobody takes care of themselves or dresses nice. As a single late 20s guy, my life revolves around nightlife. I am spot on with saying what I did. People in Tampa usually refer to nightlife in St Pete as "Amateur Night" (With the exception of The Venue).
How arrogant. As a forty year plus bartender that gets mistaken for being 28 I would think amateur night is for single late 20s guys that only want to hit on pretty people while drunk and not bothering to find out about personality and intelligence.

If all goes well and I move there soon I will be living in St. Pete and working in Tampa. I know what areas to avoid on my nights off. I am certain the chain smoking heifers will be nicer people to chat with. I like talking to adults and that is why people go to their neighborhood saloons. But a kid like you would not know that.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 PM

162 posts, read 388,775 times
I think this is my favorite post from you so far (OK, there have been quite a few...but since we are now back into researching the St. Pete/Sarasota/Bay area again, I LOVE exactly what you wrote and it sounds like just what we love...all of it!

Since we had to leave Asheville NC out of the equation......we LOVED the downtown btw, but the income was way below what my husband makes here, and even below what we have seen in FL for his work.

Also...we have decided we really do not want to deal with too cold for us winter and we miss the ocean unbelievably so.

Thanks for this post, it is very helpful! So are most of the posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Please remember not everyone likes the same thing or feels the same way. This board is all about opinions, so the very things one person finds appealing will seem abhorrent to another.

There are a lot of nice family neighborhoods in south Tampa, it is by no means all completely pretentious as some posters would have you believe - I have relatives who have lived there for years, and they are as normal and un-pretentious as you can get. The pretentiousness seems to be centered on Hyde Park/SoHo.

We live in Sarasota now(which we love), but personally enjoy the atmosphere in downtown St. Pete more - we aren't "party people", we like nice restaurants and a beautiful tropical waterfront setting, and the Bohemian atmosphere - we personally enjoy "people-watching" and like seeing all kinds of characters.

The great thing is, there seems to be something for everyone here in the Tampa Bay area.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,868 times
Quote:
It is true. Go out downtown st pete on a friday night and check out the hobgoblins and gremlins that troll the establishments.

That said, the people in Tampa have far worse personalities, but if I am going out with friends, the ambience of pretty people is far more appealing than chain smoking heifers in st pete.

Ive done both places, quite a bit. I am over St Pete. Nobody takes care of themselves or dresses nice. As a single late 20s guy, my life revolves around nightlife. I am spot on with saying what I did. People in Tampa usually refer to nightlife in St Pete as "Amateur Night" (With the exception of The Venue).
Are you serious?

I just moved here from NY where everyone dresses up to go out and I didn't think people were underdressed or unattractive when I was out in downtown. Everyone I have met in my apartment building dresses nice and are well put together. Not sure where you were out and saw the people you described but it sure as hell wasn't downtown st Pete!

Old 03-17-2015, 01:13 PM

239 posts, read 326,466 times
Quote:

Oh so is that whats wrong? Is St Pete maybe more for the bohemian manly looking women and overly girly men? but not handsome manly men? That might have helped me out a little bit. Maybe in St Pete they dont value a good looking tall guy when hes there and even outside of dating too, could be possible others are intimidated?

St Pete seems all in all like a better place to visit than to live. It has the beaches and some nice views but anything else, it seems better to be living on the Tampa side, even Brandon maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay