Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime83 View Post
Any website I could actually find lots of Tampa pics? Not skyline type pics you'd find in Google Images or people hanging out at the beach. I'd like to see Tampa at street level, and especially South Tampa.

There has to be some Tampa site that has this.
Found some great pics of Tampa at street level.

Downtown
Moderator cut: sorry pictures are copyrighted. Check out the website they have some great pictures

See more at
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...urbanism-tampa
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...downtown-tampa

Last edited by Keeper; 03-31-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 AM

61 posts, read 135,370 times
thanks. lol, kinda funny how a Jacksonville site has the type of pics I was looking for, in Tampa.

That's what I meant by asking if there was a local Tampa discussion forum (besides this one). Most cities have them, I'm surprised Tampa does not, especially given it's a place people from other parts of the country actually want to move to.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:27 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Have you noticed the "lack" of people around those streets? it's funny and it is the norm, there's not much to photograph here besides birds and sunsets...

I doubt many people move (or live here) with a desire of walking around taking photos in a place that's not really walkable carrying a good camera in this heat! (not to mention panhandler heaven, camera's might be cheap for some but not for all)

You'd think that all these people "loving" being here would go out all excited and take photos to show the world what a "great" city Tampa is..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime83 View Post
thanks. lol, kinda funny how a Jacksonville site has the type of pics I was looking for, in Tampa.

That's what I meant by asking if there was a local Tampa discussion forum (besides this one). Most cities have them, I'm surprised Tampa does not, especially given it's a place people from other parts of the country actually want to move to.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
You'd think all these people "hating" being here would take some responsibility for their own quality of life and move someplace that suited them better, yet here they are every day, nursing their incessant complaints.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Thanks for the links! I really enjoyed seeing those pix. Tampa has really come a long way and seems to be developing nicely.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Have you noticed the "lack" of people around those streets? it's funny and it is the norm, there's not much to photograph here besides birds and sunsets...

I doubt many people move (or live here) with a desire of walking around taking photos in a place that's not really walkable carrying a good camera in this heat! (not to mention panhandler heaven, camera's might be cheap for some but not for all)

You'd think that all these people "loving" being here would go out all excited and take photos to show the world what a "great" city Tampa is..........
Well we don't know which days those pictures were taken on, which could explain the lack of foot traffic. Other pictures--like the one of the old Soul Train on Franklin Street--are commercially dead areas that wouldn't have foot traffic anyway.

On to your second point. I do walk around taking pictures of Tampa all the time. Panhandlers aren't going to go after your camera, and there are hardly any panhandlers in Downtown Tampa. Believe it or not, I've actually had a few homeless and transient types ask me to take their picture. I don't know why.

Try searching for Tampa on Flickr. I can tell you that I have over one thousand pictures of Hillsborough County alone on that website.

Quote:
however, I have yet to see the "Tampa Lovers" share anything but "wordily" praise, now it is time for pictures!
I guess you haven't even taken a look at the Bay Area picture thread at the top of the page.

Last edited by ferret111; 03-31-2011 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-31-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Can you give us an estimated time you well be leaving so I can begin counting down the days.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thanks for the links! I really enjoyed seeing those pix. Tampa has really come a long way and seems to be developing nicely.
That is apparently not good enough for some people. If only they would take a look at Tampa in the 90s and early 2000s and compare to what it looks like today, they would see how far it has come and give credit where credit is do instead of endlessly criticizing.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
That is apparently not good enough for some people. If only they would take a look at Tampa in the 90s and early 2000s and compare to what it looks like today, they would see how far it has come and give credit where credit is do instead of endlessly criticizing.
Exactly. Know the three-block stretch of Franklin between Polk and Royal? Picture most of Downtown Tampa looking like that, which it did until the late 90s-early 00s. Lots of seedy old storefronts. Herman Massey Park used to be full of homeless and crackheads. The entire block across the street from the TECO and Franklin X buildings was occupied by the abandoned and decaying Maas Brothers building. The projects and the jail anchored the north end of downtown. South Franklin Street was home to an abandoned people mover. The whole Channelside area was filled with abandoned factories from the early twentieth century.

Downtown Tampa still hasn't reached its full potential, but it's definitely more friendly than it was a decade ago.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 PM

54 posts, read 165,522 times
Quote:
That's basically what I try to do, see my earlier reply on this thread. Plenty of people photos. I think Tampa will only become walkable if we get out and force it to be that way. I only moved to Tampa last year and I like the city much more than I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay