Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM

420 posts, read 864,342 times

Advertisements

Back to the original question:

Congratulations to your daughter on her acceptance to UT. She'll fit in with the other students from the Northeast that choose UT for its location and reputation.

Safety- she'll more than likely be living on campus in one of the newly renovated dorms throughout the campus. On-campus security is top-notch and I have never had a concern of safety. While the area NW of UT gets seedy, common sense should prevail. Travel in groups and take cabs. Of course, by "seedy", I mean by Tampa standards. Plus UT does its best to advise students about areas and safety measures. When she chooses to move off-campus, my recommendation is somewhere in S. Tampa area.

Tuition- being an out of state resident is definitely to her advantage since private schools require a standard fare.

Reputation- as the professor mentioned, UT's reputation is quickly climbing. Its business schools are sky-rocketing in reputation in a short amount of time as UT continues to invest within its infrastructure and programs.

Please feel free to message for more info. I'm a bit biased since I attended UT for my undergrad and am currently enrolled in the MBA program there. I do have knowledge of USF since I started a M.A. Political Science program there before choosing to complete my MBA. Overall, for an out-of-state undergraduate student, I recommend UT for its amenities, reputation, price, location, and future. I think this university is going places. After all, Obama visited UT when he was in Tampa and not USF.

Plus as it was previously mentioned, you'll get to visit FL when you come visit her.

As an afterthought, visit the campus and you'll be hooked. Tampa is investing in its downtown and UT's location will definitely benefit from it.

Good luck in the decision-making!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 AM

265 posts, read 974,938 times
[quote=GoRays813;21334124]
After all, Obama visited UT when he was in Tampa and not USF.
[quote]

I'm sure that Obama's decision to use UT had nothing to do with the fact that UT is smaller and easier to secure, or that UT is located in the city's major financial/industrial district which was the target of Obama's speech, and I'm sure the fact that Obama arrived via MacDill AFB which is only a few miles from UT wasn't considered either.

Yep, he chose UT because of its glowing national reputation.. No other factors were considered...

Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 AM

[
Quote:

Yep, he chose UT because of its glowing national reputation.. No other factors were considered...
Maybe I should make my tounge-in-cheek statements on discussion boards a bit more obvious for some people. But thanks for proving my point about UT's preferred size and location!

Don't feed the Trolls!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post

Congratulations to your daughter on her acceptance to UT. She'll fit in with the other students from the Northeast that choose UT for its location and reputation.

Safety- she'll more than likely be living on campus in one of the newly renovated dorms throughout the campus. On-campus security is top-notch and I have never had a concern of safety. While the area NW of UT gets seedy, common sense should prevail. Travel in groups and take cabs. Of course, by "seedy", I mean by Tampa standards. Plus UT does its best to advise students about areas and safety measures. When she chooses to move off-campus, my recommendation is somewhere in S. Tampa area.

Tuition- being an out of state resident is definitely to her advantage since private schools require a standard fare.

Reputation- as the professor mentioned, UT's reputation is quickly climbing. Its business schools are sky-rocketing in reputation in a short amount of time as UT continues to invest within its infrastructure and programs.

Please feel free to message for more info. I'm a bit biased since I attended UT for my undergrad and am currently enrolled in the MBA program there. I do have knowledge of USF since I started a M.A. Political Science program there before choosing to complete my MBA. Overall, for an out-of-state undergraduate student, I recommend UT for its amenities, reputation, price, location, and future. I think this university is going places. After all, Obama visited UT when he was in Tampa and not USF.

Plus as it was previously mentioned, you'll get to visit FL when you come visit her.

As an afterthought, visit the campus and you'll be hooked. Tampa is investing in its downtown and UT's location will definitely benefit from it.

How much more will it cost for your MBA at UT compared to USF?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
I didnt read the other replys here so forgive me if I copy what others said.

The area around UT is decent. Hyde park to the west is nice, South is the bayshore area (not sure if this is considerd hyde park still) nice none the less. North is NOT nice, Its walking distance to the projects and not so great area around the projects. I will add that there not the worst in the area by any means, there just somewhere I wouldnt be going at night. Downtown is like a ghost town at night and mostly business people during the day so there isnt much to worry about there.

I did pass by a few weeks ago and saw some bum taking a bath with a rag on the side of kennedy.. A Full bath ill add.

The dorms themselfs are pretty nice there. They appear to be co ed as well from my times of working in there. Condos closs by in the area probably wont be too cheap since most will be in the hyde park area to stay close to school.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
How much more will it cost for your MBA at UT compared to USF?
USF would be about $17500 (in-state) while UT is about $25500 so a rough difference of $8000. I'm not sure if the tuition is different at the various USF locations. Additionally, this is a rough estimate since USF's program is a bit shorter than UT's general MBA and UT's has a significant range between the general MBA and concentrated MBAs.

On a side note, Tim Tim Tim's description is pretty accurate to add to your overview viewpoint. One additional detail is that downtown is slowly growing which is a recent change. You used to be able to drive through downtown without stopping but it's starting to get a bit more lively (which is good).

Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
USF would be about $17500 (in-state) while UT is about $25500 so a rough difference of $8000. I'm not sure if the tuition is different at the various USF locations. Additionally, this is a rough estimate since USF's program is a bit shorter than UT's general MBA and UT's has a significant range between the general MBA and concentrated MBAs.

On a side note, Tim Tim Tim's description is pretty accurate to add to your overview viewpoint. One additional detail is that downtown is slowly growing which is a recent change. You used to be able to drive through downtown without stopping but it's starting to get a bit more lively (which is good).
Per year I assume? Not as big of a difference as I expected.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Per year I assume? Not as big of a difference as I expected.
No that's for the complete program. It's not that big of a difference if you're looking at a general MBA without a concentration. UT's range of completing an MBA is from 40 (general) to upper 50s (concentrated) credits. USF's is from 37 to upper 40s. At about $420/credit (USF) and $520/credit (UT), the difference becomes more significant if a student is persuing a concentrated MBA. Additionally, this estimate is not considering additional student fees.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,602 times
Default From DC to University of Tampa.

I live in DC area and I have been recently accepted at the university of Tampa. I am really excited about the cost of my MSF program, but at the mean time my budget is tight because I will have to leave my job and have no guarantee of finding one as I arrived in Tampa. I have been looking for an apartment that will be convenient (walking distance to my main center of interests), affordable and in relatively safe area of tampa. I fell in love with that apartement complex located near downtown in zip code 33602 on E harrison street. Eventhough it is a relatively safe area my concern is that it is in the north of the downtown and somehow close to the crime zone. Can anybody help?
Quote:

Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyz25 View Post
I live in DC area and I have been recently accepted at the university of Tampa. I am really excited about the cost of my MSF program, but at the mean time my budget is tight because I will have to leave my job and have no guarantee of finding one as I arrived in Tampa. I have been looking for an apartment that will be convenient (walking distance to my main center of interests), affordable and in relatively safe area of tampa. I fell in love with that apartement complex located near downtown in zip code 33602 on E harrison street. Eventhough it is a relatively safe area my concern is that it is in the north of the downtown and somehow close to the crime zone. Can anybody help?
I'm glad that you're choosing UT for your MSF degree. Downtown Tampa is a great place to live that is close to everything. Your location is on the fringes of downtown but it is slowly changing. I'm assuming that you're living at Metro 510 which is one of the more recent developments on that side of downtown. At that location, your close to everything, including UT. There is a slight homeless problem in that area, and some people that are going to the project housing area on Nuccio, but caution is always best. Besides, you're a DC transplant; it's nothing that you're not used to. Just stay on the main streets, don't walk by yourself in the middle of the night, etc. You'll like UT and Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay