Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 53,634 times

Advertisements

My Girlfriend and I are recent graduates from OSU and are moving to Tampa Bay. She grew up in Florida and would like to return, and I'm excited to be out of the cold north.

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.

So far, we don't have jobs lined up (working on that), but have savings to allow us to live for at least 6 months.

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?

We want to rent. In fact, we're specifically looking for month to month rentals. Budget is under $1,000 a month, for month to month rentals, until we find a secure job and can look further.

What else is important to you?

The only thing really important is finding month to month (or week to week) rentals. I'm sure this is a long shot, but I'm really at a loss for how to find such rentals. I know they exist, I've had friends live in motels for a few months, I just figured it was best to ask the people who already live in Tampa.

Thank you for any helpful responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:40 AM

769 posts, read 2,051,004 times
Why must it be a month to month rental? The problem with that is that most of those will be in the foreclosure process so you might not get to stay very long. Both of the apartments I lived in before I bought my house had an early termination clause allowing you to break the lease and just pay a penalty of one month's rent. Both were in nice, desirable apartment complexes that rented vacant units very quickly. Would you consider something like that?

What are your degrees in/what type of work would you be looking for?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Why must it be a month to month rental? The problem with that is that most of those will be in the foreclosure process so you might not get to stay very long. Both of the apartments I lived in before I bought my house had an early termination clause allowing you to break the lease and just pay a penalty of one month's rent. Both were in nice, desirable apartment complexes that rented vacant units very quickly. Would you consider something like that?

What are your degrees in/what type of work would you be looking for?
We both have (in my case, will have) our degrees in English, she is already working in the medical field, and I have extensive experience working for a university. I, personally, have been applying to jobs at USF.

We are looking for month to month rentals with the assumption that we won't have a job when we come to Tampa. After we get there, I think we can reasonably expect to find some sort of work within the first 2-3 months. That would give us time to look at apartments first without signing a year lease on something we've never seen.

I'd rather not get caught up in a 7+ month lease only to find out 6 months down the line that we really can't find work in Tampa and will need to move. If things look sour 3-4 months in, we would more than likely take a step back, cut our losses, and move elsewhere.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 AM

You will be limiting yourselves to very few options. Probably just condos/houses being foreclosed on. But then again even less landlords will rent to you without jobs unless you prepay 6+ months of rent.

Also, do not assume you will find jobs in 2-3 months. Unemployment is very high here right now.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
You will be limiting yourselves to very few options. Probably just condos/houses being foreclosed on. But then again even less landlords will rent to you without jobs unless you prepay 6+ months of rent.

Also, do not assume you will find jobs in 2-3 months. Unemployment is very high here right now.
That's why I'm looking for month to month rentals. Without a job, we won't be able to get normal rentals, more than likely, without pre-paying. While we can pre-pay, I would rather not. If it means spending a couple extra hundred dollars over the course of 3 or so months, I think it's worth it to be able to cut and move into another apartment, or out of the state if things don't work.

As for unemployment; well it's high everywhere. Tampa is nicely situated in Florida to be within reach of a lot of metropolitan areas. If we can't find jobs in Tampa, it's at least a good starting point to look elsewhere in Florida, or possibly other areas of the SE.

Believe me, I have just as much a chance finding a job in Tampa as I do in Columbus, if not more of one.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:17 PM

I don't think you'll find a month to month rental without jobs unless you prepay (foreclosures should be okay). Even private owners are not that naive and many of them have realtors managing the properties. Even on a month to month lease the landlord is taking a risk. If it were your property would you do it? I know I wouldn't. At any rate- Craig's List might help you find a rental like this.

Why don't you stay where you are and start applying for jobs from there? You can fly in for interviews. That's better than just getting up and moving with the thought that you might move again if you can't find jobs.

Columbus has a 7.0% unemployment rate versus 10.5% for Tampa. I have friends that graduated 1-2 years ago that are still waiting tables because they haven't been able to find jobs in their field. Keep that in mind.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Your best bet is probably an extended stay hotel. Month-to-month arrangements are not common here except when an existing lease expires and rolls over into month-to-month.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:04 PM

463 posts, read 1,052,762 times
I have to agree with Tilli and newyorker. Consider extended stay hotels for few months. I know it's not the same as own apartment/condo, but i have not really seen any month-to-month rentals. One thing you can consider is long term vacation rentals.
As for a job, Columbus has lower unemployment rate and it seems to be in better shape to recover with new business and companies moving in. Ironically i could not find a job up there and ended up moving to Cincy and then Tampa for my job.

it's nice to see fellow buckeyes coming down

Old 06-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Extended stay motels are what I've been looking at the most, actually. I just wanted to see what else was out there.

The unemployment rate in Columbus is lower, but there are just too few jobs. The Tampa Bay Metro is much larger, population wise, than is the Columbus Metro, and has access to a lot more population from Tampa than we would have from Columbus. More people = more jobs.

If nothing else, I guess it can be a nice extended vacation for us.

But back to the important part; month to month living in Tampa. I'd like more input.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:45 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
There are several extended stay hotels in Tampa but you are going to have to go up some on your budget to $1,200 a month or more. I checked the one on Beaumont Drive in Tampa..it was $37 a night. You might check for vacation rentals or even apts and pay up front for a few months. You don't want to have to turn on utilities until you are sure you are going to stay. There are deposits for Electric too. Word of warning.. be very careful especially using Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay