Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 PM

20 posts, read 53,014 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Tampa to Ann Arbor, MI (1,165 miles) sometime in July or August, and at this point we're fairly flexible with the dates. We have a 3 bedroom home, but we're selling most of our furniture and just bringing the boxes, a few mattresses and possibly our sectional couch. (We don't want to pay an extra $1,000 to move our $500 couch, so we want to make sure we're making a wise decision.)

We've searched and searched but still have not found the best option for moving.

Moving options we've considered:

1. Renting Moving Truck (UHaul/Budget/etc) and doing it all on our own.
(Budget 24' truck is $440, but we're not sure how to calculate the actual total including gas & fees. Has anyone priced this out lately?)

2. Renting a Pod of some sort (PackRat, Upack, PODS, etc) I would have thought this would be the best option financially, but the quotes I'm getting are as much as a moving company! Has anyone done with lately?

3. Hiring a moving company. GMVanLines gave us an inhome estimate of $4000 because he predicted our load would be 8,600 lbs.

4. I know this sounds odd, but my brother recommended I try finding another person/family that is also moving from Tampa to Michigan, and split the price of the moving truck & gas. Does this interest anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM

54 posts, read 165,723 times
Another option is ABF. They consolidate multiple shipments in one truck - you load and unload the truck, but they drive it. The price is based on the number of linear feet you use in the truck. G/f and I used this for a cross-country move a few years back. It was more expensive than driving ourselves, but a lot more convenient. Less expensive than full-service movers. There might be other companies that do this, ABF is just the one I know about. (www.upack.com)

Michigan is a beautiful state, good luck with the move!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 PM

I agree, Upack seems like a great option. I am just concerned with the amount of space I'll use on their truck. If I only take up 14ft the price is PERFECT and makes all the sense in the world. But if I take up 22ft it's almost double what it would be just to rent a UHaul.

I have no idea how to measure/predict this...

Old 06-21-2011, 01:52 PM

We went with the 'safest' route, rented a Penske truck and we'll drive it up to Michigan ourselves. It was a difficult decision to make, but in the end, driving it ourselves seemed to fit our needs best.

Penske 22ft Truck for $460. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing

Old 06-22-2011, 08:46 AM

463 posts, read 1,053,854 times
Renting uhaul or any other truck would be the cheapest choice. You will have to fill with your own gas ~15 miles/gallon and maybe fee for mileage. Ask the company to provide you with all the fees, then just add gas price and you will know total. I bet it will be much lower than any other options

Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 AM

239 posts, read 760,486 times
I would highly recommend PENSKE if you go with a truck rental. They are the only company that guarantees that you will have the truck you rented the day you show up. Seriously. I was near a nightmare w/ UHaul/Budget, etc before I figured it all out.

My total for a 16' truck, 1200 mile trip, including all taxes/fees, and FULL insurance was $900. If anyone quotes you lower, they are snowing you, and you'll end up paying nearly $1000 no matter what they quote you. You'll get nickled and dimed $50 here and 100$ there for moving blankets, packing rope, hand trucks, etc. The difference for a 22' or 26' truck wasn't that big.

I got 8mpg, and the truck was PACKED. Do the math to figure out your total fuel cost.

Also, don't forget to budget for a place to sleep on the way, etc.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,252,344 times
We did a 26' U-Haul fully loaded from Hudson to NH. 1650 miles for $1630 That includes everything fuel, Ins, taxes ect.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Steer clear of those moving companies as they have a nasty habit of jacking up the price once they reach the location, if you want your stuff unloaded you will have to pay up..

Old 10-10-2011, 01:21 PM

239 posts, read 760,486 times
You can avoid some of the exposure to rip off by asking for a 'will not exceed quote' written into the contract.

Anyone that won't guarantee you a 'will not exceed' price doesn't deserve your business.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:29 PM

91 posts, read 132,165 times
We moved to Tampa from Traverse City in June. We rented the 26' Penske. With fuel it ended up around $2500 -- Don't believe 15mpg, we averaged 8, and saw 5's and 6's driving into a headwind in Ohio.

We almost did Upack, but we read about the certainty of breakage from the freight trucks they use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: