Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM

87 posts, read 202,660 times

Advertisements

Hello, hope you locals can give me feed back on the area called West Bay near the West Bay Club in the Town and Country area.

I have my eye on a very nice house and I'm not in a position to drive around the area at this time. I would appreciate some feed back from you all. Also any web sites that might help me understand the area better

I know this is a relative term, but is it a safe area? Looks like it's close to the bay and somewhat rural which is nice.

What do you think?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Safe, probably. Desirable, not really. Rural, nope.

I highly advise against buying any property here until you have at least visited. I would advise for you to live here for a year and than buy. Town and Country might be a good place to buy if you are looking to purchase a cheap rental property.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Safe? Most likely.
Desirable? Probably more than a lot of T'n'C, but that isn't saying much.
Rural? Not in the least.

Town 'n' Country used to be a desirable place, but like a lot of inner-ring suburbs, its glory days are long over and a lot of it is dumpy/rundown. Of course, the neighborhoods on the water (southwest of Hillsborough and Memorial) have held their value and continue to be alright, but inland places (like along T'n'C Boulevard) aren't really good investment areas.

In short, if you're looking for suburban living, there are far better Tampa suburbs.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Sigh...
I thought it might be too good to be true. Thanks FloridaKash and Ferret111 for your feedback.

I'll keep looking for a house w/pool on some body of water in a better neighborhood. Something with a little character that doesn't look like a Monopoly neighborhood! Any suggestions at 350k and under?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 AM

369 posts, read 843,707 times
I think that's a great area to live. Its not rural at all and it is safe. You are very close to the water, shopping, bars, etc.
You are going to look at it of course before you buy, so don't eliminate it yet from your options.

Take a look at Bay Crest Park

Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Thanks, I'll keep it on my list, and check out Bay Crest Park.

Yes, of course I will personally view and thoroughly check out any areas of interest. I have been to Fla/Tampa many times but trying to fine tune my focus before my next visit. I never seem to have as much time as I'd like to look around.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:15 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
That subdivision is kind of isolated but it is like most nabs in Tampa with cookie cutter homes on small lots. It is close to Rocky Creek where you might see a manatee or fish but you will find very little boating on it. It is too shallow to get to the bay. Homes in Bay Crest are around 40 yo and some are pretty run down. There are some on canals though. You might want to check into Oldsmar or Safety Harbor if you are looking for something close to the water. Just remember you will pay much more for HOI.

TnC has gotten a bad rep but it isn't all bad. It is a very diverse area.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
You can always check out Danashores as it's close to TNC, but much higher class. You can get a home on the water for around 400k and up. Homes on the water in Baycrest were going for 250k back in 03, not sure what they go for now, maybe 150k or more.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 PM

224 posts, read 551,035 times
I lived in TNC 20 years ago and even then while it was nice enough, there was a lot of crime and bad stuff going on. Not as bad as a lot of Tampa. If you want to be in that part of Town go to Palm Harbor or Safety Harbor or even Carrolwood if you can afford it. IMO.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I know some areas of Tampa bay fairly well, others not at all. That's why I find feed back on this board very useful.

I'll look into all the areas you've suggested. I'll find the right place for me eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay