Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,776 times

Advertisements

as i stated in a proir post i was about to move to the tampa area about a month ago from Connecticut. I was looking for a decent area that's close to shopping and entertainment,walkable, multicultural, close to things, and not to expensive. So i moved to the first place that seemed nice. Later i was told by people in the area, including the police that i had moved into the worst part of the city. That's what shocked me, what confuses me is how this can be the worst. I'm right between University Mall and Nebraska Ave, between Fowler & Fletcher. If this is the worst tampa has to offer than this really is paradise. I have a huge 500sf apartment(huge by inner-city CT standards), a massive perfectly manicured back yard, 2 pools, more parking than i could ever possibly need, allows pets, right next to the mall and highway, all for 450/month. I have been here for almost a month and have seen no worse than arguments and a lot of police patroling. I have seen no graffitti, no shootings, no carjackings, 1(ONE) boarded up building, for pete's sake there's not even a spec of trash in the street. Let alone pissy mattresses and smolderng piles of filth one would expect from the worst of the worst. I came here for the weather and thankfully didn't get a chance to hear peoples warnings of Suitcase City untill after i got here. If this is tampas worst, then i can't wait to explore the rest. I think i'll go walk to the mall -a happy new Suitcase City citizen
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Hi CtDude and welcome to Tampa! Crime has been decreasing steadily in Tampa for the past decade. It sounds like the police are doing their job up in that area, because it has always had a bad reputation.

Your post made me chuckle a bit, I liked your description of " there's not even a spec of trash in the street. Let alone pissy mattresses and smolderng piles of filth one would expect from the worst of the worst." That "smoldering piles of filth" conjures up some interesting images.

Anyway, hope you continue to enjoy it here.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 PM

100 posts, read 367,084 times
ctdude99, that area is indeed one of the worst areas (for crime, etc.). So it's great to hear that things are much better there now.

You mention an interesting point about grafiti (or the lack of it). I also see way less grafiti around here than I did in the bad neighborhoods in other parts of the country. Perhaps it's too hot here for gang members to sweat it out in the heat while posting the grafiti!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Suitcase City isn't a Tampa neighborhood as Fowler Avenue is the city line until you hit Bruce B. Downs. That being said, it is a very high-crime neighborhood, though I guess it's on a block-by-block thing. Since it's not in Tampa, Tampa Police do not patrol it and it is not reflected in Tampa's crime statistics, which have fallen heavily over the past decade.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:46 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
It is a very high crime area, but I lived there for several years as a student and never had any problems.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,224 times
$450 a month is interesting...

Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
That is not the worst neighborhood in the bay area...it's not even the worst in Tampa itself...but it's not great.

That said, one thing about the bay area in general is, even the worst areas are FAR better than the worst areas of many other big cities. Of the four large population centers in Florida (Tampa Bay, Orlando, South Florida, Jax), I think TB is the least "dangerous" as far as crime/bad neighborhoods, urban decay, etc.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
That is not the worst neighborhood in the bay area...it's not even the worst in Tampa itself...but it's not great.

That said, one thing about the bay area in general is, even the worst areas are FAR better than the worst areas of many other big cities. Of the four large population centers in Florida (Tampa Bay, Orlando, South Florida, Jax), I think TB is the least "dangerous" as far as crime/bad neighborhoods, urban decay, etc.
I totally agree with you. Even the worst is way better than the "best" ghetto in other areas. BTW, I too once lived in suitcase city with no real issues back when I used to work at USF. That was a long time ago, though.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM

100 posts, read 367,084 times
Agree with your assessment. Compared to several big cities, Tampa is way better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post

Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,269 times
wonder what ever happened to this guy, lol I bet his car got jacked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: