Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 13,900 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone ~
My family will be moving to the Tampa area (he'll be stationed at MacDill) .. and we're trying to figure out the best place for our family to live. We're moving to Tampa from Hawaii - and won't be able to make a trip out there before the move in December. I've looked into Fishhawk - but heard the commute to MacDill is long. Anyone do the commute? I'm also interested in Westchase, but would like to find more info on the community. Would love something comparable to Fishhawk, but a little closer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 02:15 PM

192 posts, read 1,165,061 times
Welcome to Tampa (a little premature, I know!). Many of us think highly of our military and have a deep appreciation for those that serve, and we in Tampa are no exception.

From my perspective there is no direct comparison to Fish Hawk......almost all of the community is heavily treed with moss-laden oaks, and it's so distant from cultural and industrial centers that it always seems quiet and remote. Perhaps those that live there can elaborate. To work at MacDill and live in FishHawk, be prepared to be in traffic for about 2 hours each workday.

South Tampa may be an option for you.......when you exit from any of the gates at MacDill you are in South Tampa; there is a diverse range of housing available, including stand-alone homes as well as condos and rentals. Many will tell you that south Tampa is expensive, and some of it is, but since prices have moderated it's not so bad. The most desirable areas of south Tampa (at least this is the prevailing wisdom) are north of Gandy Blvd and south of Kennedy.

Best of luck....as a third-generation Tampan I'm delighted to have another military family in our community!

Tony Noriega

Old 09-08-2007, 01:05 PM

203 posts, read 960,778 times
I too am relocating to MacDill on December(but we're stationed in Alaska.)

Anyone have a recommendation for a good community to buy a ~$200,000 home within a 30 minute commute to the Base?

THANK YOU!

Becky

Last edited by Superbecky79; 09-08-2007 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: darn misspellings!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 17,049 times
If your relocating to MacDill try to find a home near the Lee Roy Selmon Crosstown Expressway. It starts in Brandon and Exits at MacDill. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Keeper; 09-17-2007 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 09-17-2007, 08:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
the market is full of houses--you might want to consider doing a year's lease if you are not planning to be in area for more than 5 years...there is no way to tell when resale will start to empty inventory--right now there is approximately 18 mo of housing on the ground from articles I have read (percentage varies by price range/location/and if the listing is not in MLS system)...
the fed might drop the interest rate but that will only help sooth wall street not necessarily main street---a bad hurricane---struggling economy in this area of FL (even though there are signs that housing is picking up) make it a buyers' market--if you are looking long term and can weather another downturn or inflation

Old 09-17-2007, 09:21 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times
Southfork in the southern part of Riverviewis a close commute We have many military families here. Plus there are many other communities new and older here. It's a growing area. It lies close to I-75, Big Bend road and Rt 301.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:19 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
There are military living in FishHawk that make the commute. I think that there is a bus that picks up in FishHawk and goes directly to the base. You might also want to look in the Valrico area - River Hills, Twin Lakes and Bloomingdale. Those areas aren't quite so far out. Tons of military and families there. Try militarybyowner dot com - for rentals. You'll pay more for a house in FishHawk and have CDD fees.

The drive will be 35-45 minutes and you'll want to use the Selmon toll road. There is a MacDill clinic by the mall in Brandon. If you get impaneled there, you won't have to drive out to the base hospital. The reality is that you'll have to commute unless you have the money to live in south Tampa.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 28,265 times
Your best bet is to live in South Tampa in the 33629 zip but it is expensive. There is an elementary school on the base that military children can attend regardless of where you live that is one of the better elementary schools in the county. You won't find a community quite like Fishhawk closer to the base. Westchase is similar and a little closer. Many military families commute from the Brandon/Valrico/Riverview area via the Crosstown Expressway. Finding a rental may be the best option until you find what's best for you.
And for Becky from Alaska - homes in the 200K range would be found in the Riverview/Gibsonton area.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 13,759 times
we're going to be PCS'in in January to MacDill from Germany. My husband and I grew up, met, dated in Pinellas County. I would not drive through Tampa on a daily basis if you paid me. I think the traffic is aweful and we just aren't commuter type of people. I really don't think that the Pinellas area is bad. Seminole, Clearwater, some parts of Largo, some parts of Pinellas Park, those are all decent areas,pretty close to Gandy. From a completely biased point of view, that's the route to go. And where we'll be living. But then again, our whole family and a ton of great friends live there. And is really what makes it an exciting station for us.

Of course, in all honesty, it's not as uppity and suburban and idealistic as Brandon/Riverview. And it's so hit and miss, especially in Tampa, that you have to really know the area before you buy a house. So if you are on that route, I'd say I suppose Brandon is a good place. But I am a st. pete girl at heart. Can't help it. (absence does make the heart grow fonder though, so maybe I'll have a rude awakening in January.)

Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 19,523 times
Cool PC'ing to MacDill

I totally suggest anyone moving to the MacDill area to try MilitaryByOwner.com for homes, plenty for sale and rent!! Real Estate is hurting down here great time to buy!! I suggest staying closer to 301 and Boyette, if you get too far up Boyette Rd lots of traffic and now lots of construction, because some finally had the sense to widen the road East from 301 to Lithia Pinecrest. A great neighborhood is the Bloomingdale area does not have the amenities that Fish Hawk has but it a beautiful treed sub with lots of area to run or walk, two elemantary schools and a golf course!! The commute is a little easier but Bloomingdale does back up also. Another thing to check is the bus routes there are several buses that go out to MacDill , if your husbands schedule works ,that is a great way to get to work!! Personally I am a Cali girl and this traffic is nothing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay