Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 04:02 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
TNC tops my list as being flat out bad. Can't even compare Danashores to TNC.
Why do you keep bringing up Dana Shores?

Also, the worst part of TNC is nowhere NEAR as bad as Suitcase City, Macfarlane Park, Surfur Springs or College Hill. Those areas are like Compton.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:07 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
This entire area belongs to the City Of Tampa:

This area need a complete overhaul, businesses need to review their fronts, the roads need to be addressed, and the rest are very very patchy areas that should be revised, some may be section 8, but there are very few "true" section 8 ppl living there.

I would bulldoze it, and make it really pretty considering this is east of downtown, and prime real estate, and what visitors first see before getting closer to downtown.

The entire Florida Avenue needs updating, and Nebraska, (very much part of the City of Tampa), needs to be flattened and rebuilt with chic stores, and potentially putting West Florida's Broadway Srip there with theaters (as in musicals, opera etc not movies only) high end restaurants, not chains, considering that it is located half way down from all the subdivisions north of Tampa, so it is, or could be, very accessible to a lot of people for entertainment. (and it could be a great hub for everything non chain)
IMO
that would go a long way to establishing some sort of credibility to tampa.

in the short term, i'd be happy if they tore up the area between columbus and downtown, east of dale mabry, and did something useful with it. i've mentioned this before, but i usually avoid that part of columbus if i'm out and about SPECIFICALLY because it just pisses me off to see a part of the city so close to downtown utterly wasted. my wife thinks i'm nuts but i have my principles. i mean, god, there's even a giant swath of land south of columbus on blvd heading into downtown that is just deserted buildings and tall grass. downtown is RIGHT behind there. what the hell is that crap? in most cities, developers would be fighting each other over property rights. oh, tampa...

baby steps. start improving at the core (downtown) and work your way out.

while you're at it, drop a tactical nuke on pinellas county and start over.

edit: let me also say that i would like nothing more than to see tampa become the top-rated city i know it *could* be if it gets its act together. it has good bones. just needs to cut out the tumors.

Last edited by user8; 12-23-2011 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: adding a shred of positivity

Old 12-23-2011, 04:14 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post

Also, the worst part of TNC is nowhere NEAR as bad as Suitcase City, Macfarlane Park, Surfur Springs or College Hill. Those areas are like Compton.
i've always wondered this as well. danashores is nothing special. most of the homes look worn down. nice views of the bay, though.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:28 PM

83 posts, read 141,427 times
Crazynip, thanks for all the help. It's sweet folks like you that make me love Tampa. My husband is not a resident, we are both out of training. So Im pretty familiar with how bad training sucked, thanks for that charming advice. But keep assuming, it really becomes you.
As for "making bank," yes we make great money, but we sacrificed most of our twenties and early 30s to training and education. We have massive debt to show for it. We work very hard and we work to save lives and alleviate pain and suffering. I do not feel guilty for how much we make, and I'm just shocked at how expensive it is to live here. For as much money as we are spendinging, I guess i expected alot more.
We went where the job was, the job was at tgh. Not st joes. Not out at st Pete. We are happy to have such a great job. I already took responsibility in my last post for not realizing what south Tampa was really like the three times we visited. I'm just trying to make the best of our situation now. So if you have some advice in the lines of "used to not like Tampa, but this is what I did and now it's better" or practical real estate advice or opinions, tht would be great. Otherwise I don't need the rude comments. I get plenty of that around here as it is.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielamb View Post
Crazynip, thanks for all the help. It's sweet folks like you that make me love Tampa. My husband is not a resident, we are both out of training. So Im pretty familiar with how bad training sucked, thanks for that charming advice. But keep assuming, it really becomes you.
As for "making bank," yes we make great money, but we sacrificed most of our twenties and early 30s to training and education. We have massive debt to show for it. We work very hard and we work to save lives and alleviate pain and suffering. I do not feel guilty for how much we make, and I'm just shocked at how expensive it is to live here. For as much money as we are spendinging, I guess i expected alot more.
We went where the job was, the job was at tgh. Not st joes. Not out at st Pete. We are happy to have such a great job. I already took responsibility in my last post for not realizing what south Tampa was really like the three times we visited. I'm just trying to make the best of our situation now. So if you have some advice in the lines of "used to not like Tampa, but this is what I did and now it's better" or practical real estate advice or opinions, tht would be great. Otherwise I don't need the rude comments. I get plenty of that around here as it is.
If he's not a resident, find another hospital. I have no doubt you would be MUCH happier if you could live in a part of town where you can afford a nicer home with a yard... like I said, there are MANY, MANY hospitals around Tampa which are in cheaper to live parts of town and NOT near ghettos. The are around St. Joes inst great either. But there are other hospitals too, I mentioned UCH, there is new Hospitals out in New Tampa and near Trinity, as well as one (cant remember the name) on McMullen Booth rd near Palm Harbor, MANY nice places around these places...

I appreciate the high praise you gave me. As bad as you think Tampa is, it's paradise compared to a lot of other places. If you dont think so, I can give you a list of places to try...

Old 12-23-2011, 05:30 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
You are dead wrong. Most of the TERRIBLE areas are WITHIN the city limits.

Name a few bad areas NOT in the city limits in Hillsborough County.

I can think of only a few:
1. parts of Town and Country
2. Progress Village / Palm River / Clair Mel area
3. Parts of Egypt Lake
4. Parts of Temple Terrace (city of Temple Terrace)

Here are some of the well known ghetto areas WITHIN the city limits of Tampa

1. College Hill / Ybor City
2. Tampa Heights
3. Sulfur Springs
4. Most of West Tampa
5. East Lake Park / East Tampa
6. Temple Park
7. North Tampa (AKA Suitcase City)
8. VM Ybor
9. Parts of Seminole Heights
10. Old Port Tampa
11. MacFarlane Park (probably the WORST part of Tampa outside of College Hill)
12. I'm sure if I thought of it harder, I could think of more)

That said, there are MANY MORE nicer areas in Unincorporated Hillsborough County, part of the Tampa Metro area than in the City limits of Tampa.

However, 99% of the population does not have to deal with the artificial requirement to live within 20 minutes of work...
Man, you are so right, I had blocked most of those neighborhoods completely out of my consciousness as I never go there anymore.

Although to be nitpicky, Suitcase City (University West) is NOT part of North (New) Tampa. It's in the unincorporated part of the county.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Man, you are so right, I had blocked most of those neighborhoods completely out of my consciousness as I never go there anymore.

Although to be nitpicky, Suitcase City (University West) is NOT part of North (New) Tampa. It's in the unincorporated part of the county.
North Tampa is not New Tampa. North Tampa is considered North of Busch to roughly Bearss

Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:

Well since i lived there for 41 years and now i'm back there i have every reason to tell people it beats living most anywhere else. Just unreal how much worse TNC is compared to Danashores.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
To the OP, marielamb, have you looked at Davis Islands where the hospital is located? I have quite a few friends that live on the islands, with kids, its like a small town in the city. They have a main street with small shops, cafes, lots of parks, a GREAT dog park, tennis, soccer, baseball/softball fields, A university, Library, Hospital, Airport, lots of homes, apartments, condos on winding lanes. See if you can find something next to Derek Jeeters house, I bet he has some amazing parties in the 36k square foot waterfront home.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
To the OP, marielamb, have you looked at Davis Islands where the hospital is located? I have quite a few friends that live on the islands, with kids, its like a small town in the city. They have a main street with small shops, cafes, lots of parks, a GREAT dog park, tennis, soccer, baseball/softball fields, A university, Library, Hospital, Airport, lots of homes, apartments, condos on winding lanes. See if you can find something next to Derek Jeeters house, I bet he has some amazing parties in the 36k square foot waterfront home.
They likely wont be able to afford a decent sized house on Davis Islands...

And from the sounds of it, they will be miserable there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay