Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
so, what's the flip side? do you think its "ok" for people to be paid $2 an hour at $4 a gallon for gas? how do you figure people eating out will keep affording to leave large tips when the food is already overpriced for the average wages? do you think we'll fell sorry for the servers? NOPE...the servers need to start taking a stand against their employers, not the people who eat out; because people don't eat out on daily basis....they eat out on occasion!
I see it different...you get what you deserve in life and if you provide bad service you get less.

I believe some people may always tip lower but let's not forget the people who are always generous and tip very high so in the end it should level out.

BUT bad service will result in low tipping...so they should look at themself first and when you only work to see the high tips the server may have a huge negative attitude and the result will be the opposite. While others just have a very nice attitude and you feel bad if you will not tip them high enough.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
I see it as a J.O.B.

Like I said earlier, call center jobs don't receive tips (and don't get me on the technically of "because they're on the phone"...there are PLENTY of bad customer service reps who drop you right back in the queue! Who is paying for MY time wasted waiting for someone to pick up that phone and fix the problem at hand?

This has nothing to do with Europe, and I could care less what they do there about it just as well.

This should be treated as a job, one cooks the food, one serves the food, one cleans up the mess after you eat. Period. They all get paid say...$12 bucks an hour, and that's it. The people in the restaurant industry who design the ads get paid hourly and don't get tips for GREAT DESIGN for the menus. Neither are the people who supply the restaurant with food. This whole "tipping" thing is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous when you hear ppl complain about it considering there are a million other jobs out there ten times harder that are paid peanuts by comparison! This is about the job description, now what Joe waiter thinks it should be.

I frankly could care less about their service...because it is their job to bring me my food! if I go out to eat for whatever reason, it is implied someone will bring that food out of the kitchen!!! Just like if I call Verizon, I don't expect that "I" will fix my problem, they are, they are paid to do a JOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I see it different...you get what you deserve in life and if you provide bad service you get less.

I believe some people may always tip lower but let's not forget the people who are always generous and tip very high so in the end it should level out.

BUT bad service will result in low tipping...so they should look at themself first and when you only work to see the high tips the server may have a huge negative attitude and the result will be the opposite. While others just have a very nice attitude and you feel bad if you will not tip them high enough.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
so, what's the flip side? do you think its "ok" for people to be paid $2 an hour at $4 a gallon for gas? how do you figure people eating out will keep affording to leave large tips when the food is already overpriced for the average wages? do you think we'll fell sorry for the servers? NOPE...the servers need to start taking a stand against their employers, not the people who eat out; because people don't eat out on daily basis....they eat out on occasion!
Problem it's a transient job where you can easily be replaced. Employer has all the power.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"That tip was good 20+ years ago"

And why is it not good now?

Given the price of eating out, I think 10% is good. For a thirty dollar meal (two people), that is three dollars. Add that to your hourly wage, with just two tables with a three dollar tip each, that already puts you well above minimum wage. How much do you want for unskilled labor? And if the place is that slow, or you get assigned bad tables, then you should find another place, it is not my job to supplement a bad business plan.

"If you have a great time and want to show it leave 20%. I am truly shocked at the volume of 15% tippers in the area who will say to their server "you were great, thank you so much" then leave 15%. Please spread the word."

What, I am suppose to give more now because you are doing your job? You doing your job is what brings back customers, thus management is suppose to reward you a performance bonus, not the customers. Again, my job is not to supplement a bad business plan nor bad management. If you do not do your job, I do not come back, the business does not get my business, word gets out, business slows down, business is out of business, you are looking for another job.

I could just imagine asking for more money from my customers in my current job "hey, since I did such a great job at this financial audit, can you please give me more money?" No, my services keeps customers, and brings more customers to the company, thus I get paid by my company in salary and bonuses.
Great post. Kudos on the last line!!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgal View Post
Again, Crazy Nip, not biting.

So what exactly are you doing here? Feeling entitlement?? If you don't like the results or the tipping practices, guess what~ you don't have to do that job.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Maybe it is time to change that.

IF there were incentives like an actual salary with benefits, I think people working that job would stop being so transient.

There are people working corporate jobs who are completely miserable, but because they have "incentives" like benefits, a larger salary etc, they stay.

Not saying this is ideal, (because I am a strong believer in doing what you love for work), however in the general scope of things, it won't be any different that any other fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Problem it's a transient job where you can easily be replaced. Employer has all the power.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I usually find myself tipping between 20-30%, However, most of the time I don't believe the server was worth it.
I, too, needlessly throw money away on occasion, but it's usually on car parts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay