Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 07:49 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Many places already put a .15% gratuity when there are groups of 6 or more, not 20%.
It's actually 18% is industry standard for parties of 6 of more..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,314 times
Another thing I have never understood is why it is so customary to tip in relation to the cost of the meal.

Why should Glenda at Applebee's make less than Michelle at Bella Fancy Bistro when they both are good servers doing their jobs? I certainly don't think it would be fair to say the quality of the service increases when comparing a nice restaurant to some lower chain.

Let's say a family of four orders burgers at your restaurant and the bill is $35. They tip 20% for a $7.

They come back next week and order steaks...bill is $75. They tip 20% for $15.

Where did that $8 swing come? The waitress did no extra work...what is on the dish should be irrelevant.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I'm confused here.

Minimum wage for waitresses is $2.50? Let's say they have two tables over the course of an hour where the bills total $30 each. Each table tips just 10%, which is $3...or a total of $6 for both.

That is $7.50 over the course of an hour. Plenty for the unskilled work performed while focusing on 2 tables. You aren't saving lives, sending a man to the moon, doing my taxes, or curing cancer.

I really think I tip TOO much a lot of the time and wonder if it just just because of the pressures of society. Fact is, most service I get is less than my expectations...so why I am rewarding that with minimum 20%? I don't get a bonus or any other positive praise when I do below average in my job.

EDIT: I just saw that the minimum wage for tipped employees in Florida is now $4.65. You can really GTFO of here with your sad story. I've worked numerous waiting jobs and never had this mindset- the only one's that seemed to have it that worked around me were the deadbeats going nowhere and making a career out of waiting tables. The work isn't THAT hard except for an hour or 2 during prime dining time. Try working something like construction or how about drive over into Balm or Wimauma and join those folks in the tomato and strawberry fields. That is hard work for the dollar.

FYI different states have different minimum wage for tipped employees. Fl is 4.65 and NC is 2.13 an hour. (lived in both, in FL now) Do your homework before you run your mouth please.

And btw, waiting tables is easy for someone is isn't doing their job correctly. When you actually work and your manager notices that, you'll get 4-5 tables. I was running anywhere between 5-9 tables in Miami due to my work ethic. Yes, I made a lot of money doing it but I never had any complaints either and I did work HARD from 5pm-3am.

And I'd also be careful about making comments about calling servers "deadbeats" and making snide comments about making a career out of it. I know people in Miami making $50K plus a year waiting tables at the right places. I was clearing $700 a week CASH plus my check (which was minimal)

Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It's actually 18% is industry standard for parties of 6 of more..
This is correct. And for the record, they always present it as mandatory "if you have 6 people or more"- which it certainly is not.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
They'd rather slack in the back room and get high with the line cooks before their shifts (and be overly compensated for doing as such!)

Stop stereotyping. You're very uneducated obviously..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
FYI different states have different minimum wage for tipped employees. Fl is 4.65 and NC is 2.13 an hour. (lived in both, in FL now) Do your homework before you run your mouth please.

And btw, waiting tables is easy for someone is isn't doing their job correctly. When you actually work and your manager notices that, you'll get 4-5 tables. I was running anywhere between 5-9 tables in Miami due to my work ethic. Yes, I made a lot of money doing it but I never had any complaints either and I did work HARD from 5pm-3am.
Do my homework? How about I set you straight and let you know that I am FULLY aware of the difference in pay as I waited tables in SOUTH CAROLINA where it is $2.12 per hour.

It doesn't MATTER as I share the same opinion as before and knowing the minimum wage in Florida just made this thread and the arguments presented even more of a joke.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,837 times
Quote:
Stop stereotyping. You're very uneducated obviously..
Looks like I hit a nerve. I'm guessing you fall into my "stereotype."

Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
How is 15% not enough? I usually tip 15% if the service was outstanding. 10% if it's just average and if you've made my day hectic then don't expect any tip from me.

But you're asking 20% for someone who's happy and just taking your dishes? That's a little much in my opinion.

You people who have never worked in the industry just don't get it. I do more than be happy and take your dishes. I make sure your food comes out correct when you customize your dinner. It's not as easy as you think it is. So get off your high horse and maybe actually work in the restaurant industry and get behind the scenes before you say something that makes you look (more) unintelligent.

If you can't afford the WHOLE dining out experience then stay at home!!!!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,837 times
Quote:
You people who have never worked in the industry just don't get it. I do more than be happy and take your dishes. I make sure your food comes out correct when you customize your dinner. It's not as easy as you think it is. So get off your high horse and maybe actually work in the restaurant industry and get behind the scenes before you say something that makes you look (more) unintelligent.

"Customize" our dinner. lmao. We're not tricking out some rice-burner Mistubishi or something. We're giving you a food order. You write it down and take it to the guy who actually does a little work (cook).

If you can't get by on what we generously tip you for low-level work, find a new job or stop whining.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:14 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:

"I make sure your food comes out correct when you customize your dinner. It's not as easy as you think it is."

Wow! You mean you make sure I actually get what I ordered? And that is suppose to be some special service or something? And it is not as easy as I think it is to give me what I ordered? Is it really that difficult to play the matching game and give someone the food they ordered? That is like the essential function of your job.

That is what I do not get about some serves, they act like performing the essential functions of their job is some sort of special service worthy of extra money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay