Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 01:25 PM

393 posts, read 306,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
A sushi restaurant I frequent has a happy hour where they have $3 rolls. What normally would cost us about $35 costs us $15. It still takes the same amount of time for us to eat and the server still does the same amount of work, so I tip on what the bill would have been if it weren't discounted. Plus it's a place we frequent so I always tip well there.

Also, who says $3 isn't the real price? Seriously, that might mean they are marking up the price higher when it really doesn't costs that for those rolls. We NEVER tip based on what the price would have been during happy hour specials. MOST NORMAL SANE PEOPLE DON'T and it is WHY they came out to eat, to SAVE MONEY, that means ON THE TIP AS WELL SINCE THE PRICES ARE LOWER DURING THAT TIME.

THE OWNER LOWERED IT just as when the prices go HIGHER WE TIP HIGHER.

WHY BE UNFAIR AND IT ALWAYS BE IN THE SERVER'S FAVOR?

Think about it, when prices go higher due to inflation we all tip higher, so WHY when prices go lower you don't want to tip in the same fashion by tipping on the lowered price, huh?

YOU ARE TIPPING VERY UNFAIRLY!!

Even if it takes the same amount of time, that means you didn't receive ANY *MORE* work for more tip. Since the prices are lower, the tip should be lower during that time. It's only fair as I said above, now we are paying a server 30 cents more to the server(for instance in my example) for the same product because of price increases, so when prices decrease, the SAME EXACT THING should happen to the server just as they did to us. ONLY FAIR!!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:30 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,622 times
For one, because it's a place I frequent, the staff knows me, and it's nice to get a table quicker, my food sooner, a better table, and other things that come with the staff at a restaurant actually knowing and liking you.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:33 PM

434 posts, read 684,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
If 15% isnt enough, go get a real job...
define real job! Serving is a real job. It's hard work, especially dealing with people who have attitudes like you.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:37 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I had not heard anywhere that 15% is no longer acceptable. Wouldn't the fact that the cost of eating out has gone up, giving you more on average based on a 15% tip, be taken into consideration?

You mention a nice restaurant. This would put us, I would assume, at least into the $50-$60 range for a party of 2. 2 tables an hour, 15% would put you at $17.50 to $20.50 and hour adding the $2.50 an hour base. But you want $20.50 to $24.10 an hour.

If we went with the earlier scenario of a $30 meal, 2 tables an hour, which would be your basic chain restaurant I would say, you are looking at $11.50 an hour but you want $13.30 an hour.

You don't think $13.30 an hour is on the rather high side for someone to take an order, deliver it to a table and bring you drinks, in a Chili's or Applebee's?

Servers do much more than just take orders and bring food. I have been a server for over 30 years and there is "side work" which involves cleaning and prepping the restaurant for business. So basically servers also get paid $2.50 an hour(varies by state) to do things like vaccum the dining room, prep veggies and make salads,whip cream,cut desserts,clean the bathrooms,clean the chairs,preportion sour cream,butter.Set up salad dressings set up condiments,cut lemons,fold tons of napkins,stock up the dining room with all the glasses and silverware that are clean from last night.Not to mention putting it all away and doing some cleaning at the end of the night. At my last job this took about 2 hours everyday before we even opened.Most people are not really aware of this.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
For one, because it's a place I frequent, the staff knows me, and it's nice to get a table quicker, my food sooner, a better table, and other things that come with the staff at a restaurant actually knowing and liking you.

While I understand that, I feel 30% of the lower bill is more appropriate rather than going by the original bill. This way it's still FAIR. What you are doing is tipping in an unfair manner making the servers always win. It's just not right or fair to tip in that manner.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Servers do much more than just take orders and bring food. I have been a server for over 30 years and there is "side work" which involves cleaning and prepping the restaurant for business. So basically servers also get paid $2.50 an hour(varies by state) to do things like vaccum the dining room, prep veggies and make salads,whip cream,cut desserts,clean the bathrooms,clean the chairs,preportion sour cream,butter.Set up salad dressings set up condiments,cut lemons,fold tons of napkins,stock up the dining room with all the glasses and silverware that are clean from last night.Not to mention putting it all away and doing some cleaning at the end of the night. At my last job this took about 2 hours everyday before we even opened.Most people are not really aware of this.
Not our (the public's) problem. We tip them for waiting tables, not food prep/vacuuming the carpet.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
there is "side work" which involves cleaning and prepping the restaurant for business. So basically servers also get paid $2.50 an hour(varies by state) to do things like vaccum the dining room, prep veggies and make salads,whip cream,cut desserts,clean the bathrooms,clean the chairs,preportion sour cream,butter.Set up salad dressings set up condiments,cut lemons,fold tons of napkins,stock up the dining room with all the glasses and silverware that are clean from last night.Not to mention putting it all away and doing some cleaning at the end of the night. At my last job this took about 2 hours everyday before we even opened.Most people are not really aware of this.
But all of this has (ZERO) to do with tipping, ZERO. People ONLY BASE THEIR TIP ON *********SERVICE******** NOT SIDE WORK.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Not our (the public's) problem. We tip them for waiting tables, not food prep/vacuuming the carpet.

THANK YOU!! We don't tip based on things happened *BEFORE* we even arrived.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:49 PM

434 posts, read 684,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I just pulled that out of the air. But by the looks and quantity of tattoos most waiters/waitresses have these days, most have spent time in prison or will be soon
How old are you, 90? You think tattoos are a sign of being in prison? I have no tattoos and think a sleeve of tattoos is a bit odd, but you sound extremely narrow minded. Many people, including professionals, have tattoos as a way of expressing themselves, paying tribute to a person, etc. It's their choice. Just because its not something you choose to do doesn't mean its wrong or lowlife.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
So basically servers also get paid $2.50 an hour(varies by state) to do things like vaccum the dining room, prep veggies and make salads,whip cream,cut desserts,clean the bathrooms,clean the chairs,preportion sour cream,butter.Set up salad dressings set up condiments,cut lemons,fold tons of napkins,stock up the dining room with all the glasses and silverware that are clean from last night.Not to mention putting it all away and doing some cleaning at the end of the night. At my last job this took about 2 hours everyday before we even opened.Most people are not really aware of this.
You are saying that you are getting paid $2.50(in our state $2.13/hr) to do those things, so what's your complaint about this huh?

NO ONE tips based on things that happen *BEFORE* they get seated. That's INSANE. Even you don't do that when you go out to eat and you know it.

No one tips based on if you are restocking something while they are there. It has NOTHING to do with waiting tables.

Want to get paid for doing those things a decent wage, go to McDonald's. Also, by law, they are supposed to pay you minimum wage if you don't get any tips in those hours. That's the LAW.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips.htm (broken link)

Quote:
If the employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay