Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Somebody posted there is no research to support 20%. Jonathan Gold, very well-known LA food critic, wrote this last year. He basically says 20% is the new 15%, and we are all buttheads if we don't leave 20%. (similar to what my friends/sister said)

10 Handy Rules For Tipping - Los Angeles Restaurants and Dining - Squid Ink

I still think 15% is fine, especially with how expensive food/eating out is.
First 3 I get from google for "restaurant tipping" say 15-20%

Restaurant Tipping Guide

restaurant tipping - Google Search

Restaurant Tipping Guide | RealSimple.com

Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 AM

325 posts, read 442,141 times
I leave a tip, usually double the tax, but my opinion has Always been that if I pay a restaurant $35 for something I can eat at home for $8, then just like all other employers, the restaurant should pay their employees a Proper Wage.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:58 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times
VERY GOOD POINT! I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
if I pay a restaurant $35 for something I can eat at home for $8, then just like all other employers, the restaurant should pay their employees a Proper Wage.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
I leave a tip, usually double the tax, but my opinion has Always been that if I pay a restaurant $35 for something I can eat at home for $8, then just like all other employers, the restaurant should pay their employees a Proper Wage.
We always tell our kids "order something that you don't get a home" and we only order something that we usually don't make at home, otherwise why would I pay so much more for something I can easily prepare at home.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,565,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Find a better job. When I go somewhere to eat, the last thing on my mind is how much everyone in the place makes.

This is just reality. I dont care, and newsflash: neither does anyone else.

Chances are 90% of the people who work in restaurants have some sort of criminal record.
90% have a criminal record? really now?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:19 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
I delivered Pizza's for a second job when I was much younger. If you are a person who orders pizza frequently and wonder why it seems to take a long time to get to your door it is because the drivers are actually waiting for other orders to come up while yours sits there getting cold.

I remember there was this lady at Apartment X (that was her door number, easy to remember) and she would always ask for ALL of her change back... loose coins, etc. Or tip just the loose coins. Eventually her orders would only be delivered by the new guys.... which took longer to deliver and would sit until a new came back from another delivery.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 AM

37 posts, read 53,507 times
Quote:

Yes, This has always bugged me. What other business gets others to pay their employees??

Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgal View Post
I am compelled to write this post. I know this is subject which can bring alot of negative comments about "bad servers who need to do a better job" or "don't like it, get a real job" etc. Simply trying to get the word out, if you go to a nice place for dinner and get great service (a smiling, helpful person who keeps your water glass full 90% of the time and brings your drinks and food in a timely manner), please tip more than 15% of your bill. That tip was good 20+ years ago, the minimum tip these days is 18%. If you have a great time and want to show it leave 20%. I am truly shocked at the volume of 15% tippers in the area who will say to their server "you were great, thank you so much" then leave 15%. Please spread the word.
How is 15% not enough? I usually tip 15% if the service was outstanding. 10% if it's just average and if you've made my day hectic then don't expect any tip from me.

But you're asking 20% for someone who's happy and just taking your dishes? That's a little much in my opinion.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:40 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,101,366 times
I'm confused here.

Minimum wage for waitresses is $2.50? Let's say they have two tables over the course of an hour where the bills total $30 each. Each table tips just 10%, which is $3...or a total of $6 for both.

That is $7.50 over the course of an hour. Plenty for the unskilled work performed while focusing on 2 tables. You aren't saving lives, sending a man to the moon, doing my taxes, or curing cancer.

I really think I tip TOO much a lot of the time and wonder if it just just because of the pressures of society. Fact is, most service I get is less than my expectations...so why I am rewarding that with minimum 20%? I don't get a bonus or any other positive praise when I do below average in my job.

EDIT: I just saw that the minimum wage for tipped employees in Florida is now $4.65. You can really GTFO of here with your sad story. I've worked numerous waiting jobs and never had this mindset- the only one's that seemed to have it that worked around me were the deadbeats going nowhere and making a career out of waiting tables. The work isn't THAT hard except for an hour or 2 during prime dining time. Try working something like construction or how about drive over into Balm or Wimauma and join those folks in the tomato and strawberry fields. That is hard work for the dollar.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I'm confused here.

Minimum wage for waitresses is $2.50? Let's say they have two tables over the course of an hour where the bills total $30 each. Each table tips just 10%, which is $3...or a total of $6 for both.

That is $7.50 over the course of an hour. Plenty for the unskilled work performed while focusing on 2 tables. You aren't saving lives, sending a man to the moon, doing my taxes, or curing cancer.

I really think I tip TOO much a lot of the time and wonder if it just just because of the pressures of society. Fact is, most service I get is less than my expectations...so why I am rewarding that with minimum 20%? I don't get a bonus or any other positive praise when I do below average in my job.

EDIT: I just saw that the minimum wage for tipped employees in Florida is now $4.65. You can really GTFO of here with your sad story. I've worked numerous waiting jobs and never had this mindset- the only one's that seemed to have it that worked around me were the deadbeats going nowhere and making a career out of waiting tables. The work isn't THAT hard except for an hour or 2 during prime dining time. Try working something like construction or how about drive over into Balm or Wimauma and join those folks in the tomato and strawberry fields. That is hard work for the dollar.
They'd rather slack in the back room and get high with the line cooks before their shifts (and be overly compensated for doing as such!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay