Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 02:24 PM

393 posts, read 306,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
It benefits ME to tip well at a place that I go usually twice a week. It gets ME extra consideration when I show up. That's why you should tip well at a place you frequent, regardless of anything else. It's about getting yourself taken care of just as it is compensating the server.

As I said before, I tip 25%-30% of the lowered bill. I don't go by the original price. Sometimes you don't know the original price like if you go to a restaurant you have never been to before. I am not going to ask what the original price is if it's not something obvious like half off or something.

All I am saying is, that it is UNFAIR to tip based on prices that aren't happy hour. Why not just up the tip percentages instead?

Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Anyone else getting tired of being told by waitstaff what is an "acceptable" tip?

An "acceptable" tip is exactly how much I decide to tip you.
Yep. Many of us in this very thread are tired of it. Read the heated debate.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:46 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,682 times
Yyyyeah, I think nip went a little too far with the tattoo remark. It's a crap shoot these days. Tattoos mean very little about the person sporting them. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgal View Post
Thanks, but I'm not in the burbs. I have been in the restaurant biz for over 20 years in many cities in the USA, I do not need to ask my manager for service tips, but thanks for the advice...I am simply comparing tips from this area to the rest of America and trust me, it's lacking.
But you chose to stay in this field. In even 6 or 7 years you could have gone to school even part time and earned a degree.

You chose to continue work in a service industry job that is based on gratuitites.

I waited tables in collge so I have empathy for servers and tip over 15%, but I also knew I wasn't going to make a career out this. That was many years ago and the public hasn't gotten nicer when it comes to manners.

Ate out yesterday and the server mentioned that the snowbirds have left early and things are already slowing down, they left early due to the gas keeping going up.

You're in a job that is hit and miss and the economy and the price of gas impact it.

Are you new to Tampa? Didn't you know a lot the economy relies on snowbirds, elderly retirees, and toursists from foriegn countries who don't always tip well(Canadians are known to tip poorly).

Old 04-08-2012, 03:16 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I don't have any tattoos but do want to get one on my chest in 3 inch letters that says; "TRY CPR ONE MORE TIME!" If you can make the coroner laugh you have had a good life!
+5
Now that's funny

Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgal View Post
I am compelled to write this post. I know this is subject which can bring alot of negative comments about "bad servers who need to do a better job" or "don't like it, get a real job" etc. Simply trying to get the word out, if you go to a nice place for dinner and get great service (a smiling, helpful person who keeps your water glass full 90% of the time and brings your drinks and food in a timely manner), please tip more than 15% of your bill. That tip was good 20+ years ago, the minimum tip these days is 18%. If you have a great time and want to show it leave 20%. I am truly shocked at the volume of 15% tippers in the area who will say to their server "you were great, thank you so much" then leave 15%. Please spread the word.
If 15% is no longer acceptable, you should donate the money to charity. I'm pretty sure you still scoop up the money, no matter what the percent the tip.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Interesting you ask that...I went to Russia in the early '90s...people in restaurants were paid the same no matter what...and no one did a bit of work.
Service jobs are often better incentivized by rewarding productivity.
Over there and many other places, they do not bother the customers until they are called. It is considered bad service to constantly bother customers.

I like it, I cannot stand getting asked fifty times if my meal is fine. The bible belt seems to be the worst at this, I get asked before I even take a bite. I like it in Miami, they do not seem so hyper on asking a thousand times if I like my food, need anything else, or filling up my drink after every sip.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Interesting thread. 20% is a standard tip... that's what I expect to tip. Service is not up to par - it gets reduced. Service is extraordinary - your tip increases.

Just be careful. Some places automatically add gratuity and still leave a spot for you to tip. (very common in Orlando). I have, by accident, on more than on occasion tipped 20% on top of the 18% already added to the check. Ugh.

Also - if you can't afford to tip - you cannot afford to eat out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In Europe the tip is incl and still people will tip but lower tips...if a waitress or waiter is coming every few min to ask how everything is going than to me that is very annoying since I'm out to enjoy the food and company I'm with...
This is a big problem in my opinion. If they already add the tip on and not tell you, or they leave a spot for a second tip, I will ask to speak with the manager and tell them I will never eat there again. Really it comes down to being sneaky and dishonest.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:46 PM

37 posts, read 53,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Interesting you ask that...I went to Russia in the early '90s...people in restaurants were paid the same no matter what...and no one did a bit of work.
Service jobs are often better incentivized by rewarding productivity.
I have had service jobs my whole life. Only one did I get paid by tips only(bag boy). There are lots of jobs that are service related that are paid hourly/salary..That can be a problem, but thats why business owners always take new applications.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
20% tipout to bartender/busser/foodrunner is way too high..It's between 3-5%. I've been a waitress off and on for 4 years and am currently one again..

I make 20% or more on all my tables because of my service and I'm easy on the eyes Very rarely anything below...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay