Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,152 times

Advertisements

I've tried searching the forums for the past 30mins and couldn't find an answer to this question. Please let me know if I've overlooked any threads.

My house is located in FEMA zone AE & i have a mortgage for my home. I am paying $2500 a year for the flood insurance policy. This $2500/yr *does not* include my homeowners policy. I have spoken with neighbors and other south Tampa residents, also in FEMA zone AE, who say that I'm paying way to much. These folks claim that they are paying around $1500 - $1800 a year for flood insurance in FEMA zone AE. I just rechecked my flood insurance policy and see that I'm paying $1500 for 'building' and $1000 for 'contents'.

Is the 'contents' portion of flood insurance optional?

Is anybody else paying this much for flood insurance in zone AE in south tampa?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Yes you are paying way too much. Google for lower quotes. "Insurance" is the biggest scam in FL sadly.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian617 View Post
I've tried searching the forums for the past 30mins and couldn't find an answer to this question. Please let me know if I've overlooked any threads.

My house is located in FEMA zone AE & i have a mortgage for my home. I am paying $2500 a year for the flood insurance policy. This $2500/yr *does not* include my homeowners policy. I have spoken with neighbors and other south Tampa residents, also in FEMA zone AE, who say that I'm paying way to much. These folks claim that they are paying around $1500 - $1800 a year for flood insurance in FEMA zone AE. I just rechecked my flood insurance policy and see that I'm paying $1500 for 'building' and $1000 for 'contents'.

Is anybody else paying this much for flood insurance in zone AE in south tampa?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
This depends on the value of your home and your deductibles. Are you comparing apples to apples? I don't think flood policies vary that much, I believe FEMA sets the rates.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian617 View Post
Generally, yes. Double-check that there's nothing weird in your mortgage requiring it (there should not be).

Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This depends on the value of your home and your deductibles. Are you comparing apples to apples? I don't think flood policies vary that much, I believe FEMA sets the rates.
They definitely vary. If your house was built "pre-flood zone", then your rates are subsidized heavily. A 50-year old home will pay much, much less than newer homes with the same square footage/value.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 AM

36 posts, read 143,917 times
Default How Flood Insurance Works!

Adrian,

Here is how it works:

In the AE flood zone the insurance is rated on how high the floor of the house is above the calculated flood level. Also the insurance can be rated pre-FIRM based on the house was built before the existance of the first flood map (usually 1973); or post-FIRM if it was built after that date in a flood zone area. An owner can see if his/her pre-FIRM house can qualify in the current flood zone which usually generates a cheap quotes. Note the use of the pre-FIRm was established for houses to obtain flood insurance and are not reprimanded for not being compliant to a flood zone after the construction date.

This is what I suspect your situation is:

The pre-FIRM rate (the agent does not have or is not using the elevation certificate) is about $2600.00+/- in the AE flood zone for the maximum flood insurance policy of 250000 structure / 100000 contents / 1000 deductible..

The post-FIRM rate for a house being -1 elevation difference below the flood level the premium is $5400+/- so the best option is to use the pre-FIRM of $2600+/-.

The post-FIRM rate for a house being zero elevation difference at flood level the premium is $1500.00 so the best option is to use the pre-FIRM of $1500+/-.

The post-FIRM rate for a house being +1 elevation difference above the flood level the premium is $1500.00 so the best option is to use the pre-FIRM of $600+/-.

The post-FIRM rate for a house being +2 elevation difference above the flood level the premium is $400.00 so the best option is to use the pre-FIRM of $600+/-.

So ask your agent if they have an elevation certificate and if they are using it. You can easily stand across the street an visually compare your house to the neighbor, the policy cost should be similar depending on the coverage amounts.

Flood Insurance is a Federally regulated insurance and it will not depend on who you go to it should be the same, as long as they have all the information to calculate the policy (with no assumptions).

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
Many homes in florida are built in flood zones. Beware.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 13,152 times
FFZS,

thanks so much for the good info.

(If anybody else doesn't know what FIRM stands for: Flood Insurance Rate Map)

I do have an elevation certificate and as far as I know my insurance agent was supposed to use it.

On my elevation certificate
• In section B9 (Base Flood Elevations) = 9
• In section C2a (Building Elevation Information, Top of bottom floor) = 7.1'

Does this mean there is a 9' - 7.1' = 2.9' elevation difference below the flood level?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2012, 04:51 AM

36 posts, read 143,917 times
The -2.9 in the AE is not really good and will generate a high insurance policy. Now it is best to rate the flood policy based on the age of the house, since the house in not compliant to the current flood zone.

two option are pre-FIRM usually before 1973+/- (varies depending where you are at), this is a pre-FIRM rate.

or after 1973 link it to the flood zone at the time of construction. this is a historical rating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay