Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 6,757 times

Advertisements

Adding that yes, the people now ARE lazy! And why have lazy people there at your business, when you can just close for the day and call it even?
I have worked in retail for the last 26 years, with almost 23 being for the same company. Big name retailer, and over the years, sometimes opened on Sundays and sometimes not. Sometimes opened on a "holiday" Sunday(Easter) and sometimes not. We happened to be open this year, on Easter. I wasn't there but saw the sales reports the next day. To call them mediocre was a stretch but honestly, the customers were even baffled as to why we would be open that day. Surely there wouldn't be a big rush to go and get whatever it was they needed. Was there? No, there wasn't. I'd say that after paying the utilities, salaries for the workers that day etc, they maybe made $1000. And to me, $1000 was not worth the time and effort. There are very few loyal people "regulars" that shop where I work. They all have a choice, and most people now go wherever the best deal is. People are watching their pennies. Those same customers that come and spend their money in MY store, that couldn't believe we'd even be open, are the ones NOT shopping on Sunday. They're at the beach! LOL

If there is a need and a demand for certain types of businesses to be open on Sundays, then by all means, go for it. I'd love for there to be a little Dade City-esque spot in town to wander around in. But am I going to think the place is terrible because there isn't? No, I'll just find something else to do. I might still be craving a Monte Cristo from Wright's with a thick slice of lemon pound cake...I'll just get it the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 PM

5 posts, read 6,757 times
What about West Park Village in West Chase? Is that place even open anymore? I thought
there were lots of options there, eateries etc.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,391,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
That is exactly why Ybor won't become St Armands...TOO close to the ghetto!!!
I think the fact that it's in the middle of a ghetto is only part of the problem; the other being parking. Set off a human bug bomb, build some parking structures, Ybor would be the place to be. Oh and maybe tear down some of those ghetto clubs and build some more establishments that don't attract residents of said ghetto. Ybor reminds me of Adams Morgan in DC 15 years ago... awesome place with an eclectic mix of nightspots, just too much of a seedy element underneath the surface to sustain growth.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 PM

24 posts, read 44,645 times
So why does Tampa bay's area, a metro area with a population of 4 million -plus, not have someplace like Armands Circle, but Sarasota (population 675k) does? I cannot be the only person in the USA who is wondering about this. By the way TampaBayMom, I don't eat hot dogs, but thanks for the whole history on that Mels place, which I have heard is very expensive for what you get (terrible reviews online). I was not interested in going to Mels, but I was interested in going to an area with shops and places that are open all week and where there's lotsa people milling about.

Oh and thanks for the recommendation of Dade City, I will have to check that out~!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:57 PM

286 posts, read 1,030,438 times
I have to laugh at the random generational dig thrown in here. And for all the haters and naysayers, Ybor is perfectly safe, especially in the daytime. And I know this convo may have shifted specifically to tourist districts, but Ybor is leagues ahead of St. Armand's in just about any other metric. The world has enough sanitized, "family-friendly" spots, thanks.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:01 PM

24 posts, read 44,645 times
I would have no problem going to Ybor or anywhere if the place was actually open all week, day and night, and it was bustling with retail, commerce and people. day and night.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:00 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,344,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
I think the fact that it's in the middle of a ghetto is only part of the problem; the other being parking. Set off a human bug bomb, build some parking structures, Ybor would be the place to be..
I seriously think you're trolling with all your negativity. This post is a good example. I've only been to Ybor city once and I parked in a large parking garage that was in Ybor city and only cost me like $1.. so WTF are you talking about?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,314,637 times
Not agreeing with someone on a subject is NOT trolling! There are not many ppl who enjoy going to Ybor because for one its not conventient to the burbs, and second because some ppl are not comfortable being that close to the ghetto's. On the flip side there is nothing all that attractive there either. Who cares if its "safe" during daytime? ppl are working during daytime!!!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 AM

17,550 posts, read 39,186,507 times
Before Ybor morphed into what it is today, (late 80s - mid 90s) it was a Bohemian district - lots of artists, galleries, vintage shops of all kinds, antiques and unique ethnic cafes. Most of the buildings had not been rehabilitated, and were therefore inexpensive to rent for the artists and shopkeepers. That was the Ybor that I personally loved and I was there constantly, even renting a corner of a friends vintage shop to sell some of my own things.

The late 90s and early 2000's Ybor started to change - buildings sold for a lot of money, rents became uber-expensive and the only businesses that could thrive there were bars and restaurants with liquor licenses. They tried to make it better with Centro Ybor, but it just didn't work. People stopped coming (including me) due to the bad mix of businesses, poor parking, and frankly, the vibe there today is damn weird - it's a mix of biker bars, goths and some odd upscale. Could there BE any more tattoo parlors????? sheesh Last time I was there was two years ago and I don't care if I ever go again, even though there are a few really good restaurants there (Laughing Cat, Columbia and a few others). Plus, if you are on any street other than Broadway (7th ave) it feels isolated. I'm sure others feel the same way.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,495,263 times
Yep - went to a movie during the day awhile ago - has an eerie feeling to the area for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay