Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 PM

188 posts, read 332,012 times

Advertisements

She sobbed when I told her we were moving to Tampa. I feel like a total *******. Have you had children move away? Any advice on how I can make her feel better? I already pulled the "You're retired! It's Florida! You have all the time in the world to visit!" card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 9,379 times
I was thinking about you today.....I wondered how the announcement went. I don't have any advice as to how to console your Mom, however, I feel better about my move because I tell myself "people move away from their family ALL THE TIME". More often then not it seems. Yes it sucks and yes it's sad. It can be done and people figure out how to manage. Is your mom computer savvy? Maybe Skype-ing will help her feel somewhat better (?).

Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,153 times
I feel for you Native2UT. I wish there was something I could say to help...just can't think of anything. Mom's are PRICELESS!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM

44 posts, read 68,486 times
Yeah my mom is freaking out. Actually she's not being very nice about it which is pissing me off. THEY HAVE A SECOND HOME IN PORT ST LUCIE, hello??

Anyways, just venting...buy my mom is on my last nerve with this this week.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
When we moved out of state my MIL told me I was on the "top of her list" at the time. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was her sh*t list!

That being said, without the grandkids around, they pulled up stakes and moved to Florida in a matter of months after we moved.

Fast forward 10 years later and we move to Florida.

I am now officially off *that* list.

If they have a place in Port St. Lucie, it gives them all the more reason to make it a permanent home. And it's a nice distance - close enough to visit, but not so close that they would be popping in all the time.

RM

Old 05-23-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirdMom View Post
Yeah my mom is freaking out. Actually she's not being very nice about it which is pissing me off. THEY HAVE A SECOND HOME IN PORT ST LUCIE, hello??

Anyways, just venting...buy my mom is on my last nerve with this this week.
Funny you should mention a second home. Mine also have a second home about 4 hours from our homes here. Their intention is to spend 6 months or so a year there now that my dad is completely retired. I had to bite my tongue before I said "Ummm, you moved first! In fact, you're there now!"

I'm trying to understand and be sympathetic, but I wouldn't ask her to pass up something to stay here with me. So I guess I'm bothered a little that she would ask us to pass on something we want. Besides, she has my brother and sister still 20 minutes away.

Drama. I knew it wouldn't be received well, but this is beyond what I expected.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new.2.me View Post
I was thinking about you today.....I wondered how the announcement went. I don't have any advice as to how to console your Mom, however, I feel better about my move because I tell myself "people move away from their family ALL THE TIME". More often then not it seems. Yes it sucks and yes it's sad. It can be done and people figure out how to manage. Is your mom computer savvy? Maybe Skype-ing will help her feel somewhat better (?).
Thanks. You're sweet for thinking about me. Nope. Didn't go well. Emotionally draining.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native2UT View Post
She sobbed when I told her we were moving to Tampa. I feel like a total *******. Have you had children move away? Any advice on how I can make her feel better? I already pulled the "You're retired! It's Florida! You have all the time in the world to visit!" card.
You are moving to Tampa and abandoning your Mom? and she's not happy?
Why not bring her with you?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are moving to Tampa and abandoning your Mom? and she's not happy?
Why not bring her with you?
Haha! I'd hardly call it abandoning her. She'll have my brother, sister, their spouses, grandchildren (7) and my father around her. Still, I did tell her she has all the time in the world during her retirement to visit.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
I had to do the same when we left here and moved to SLC. Its a big part of the reason we came back lol. They are the only thing keeping us here too, if my parents leave were GONE! (most likely, if we can find jobs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay