Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 PM

25 posts, read 47,389 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Will someone please tell me about the Tarpon Springs area? Why is it so much less compared to other areas? We are boaters and would like to be able to have one in our backyard and be able to get to areas by boat sometimes instead our cars. Is the crime rate any different? Is one area safer than the other?
Sorry..I have so many questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 06:45 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,224,291 times
The housing bubble bust hurt most places in Tampa Bay

here is some info on Tarpon Springs. Crime is not a big problem there.
//www.city-data.com/city/Tarpon...s-Florida.html

Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 AM

6,619 posts, read 5,019,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMom23 View Post
Hello,
Will someone please tell me about the Tarpon Springs area? Why is it so much less compared to other areas? We are boaters and would like to be able to have one in our backyard and be able to get to areas by boat sometimes instead our cars. Is the crime rate any different? Is one area safer than the other?
Sorry..I have so many questions!
Tarpon is known by the "sponge docks", its an area with some greek restaurants and novelty shops. That area at least is very nice, I have heard people @ work refer to the tarpon lake side as red neckish, I dont personally know that to be the case. In general I think if you are comparing the property values of Palm Harbor against Tarpon it may seem out of whack, but Palm harbor was one of the areas that held up relatively well during the housing crash, and the further north you go the cheaper it gets, as soon as you get into Pasco county the properties take an even bigger dive. You haven't mentioned where you will be commuting to, from Tarpon you are going to have to deal with US19 at rush hour. l

Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 AM

30,477 posts, read 21,329,971 times
You could buy a house in Holiday on the water for about 10 times less than you can in Tarpon.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Thanks for your replies. How is the Holiday area?
We are coming from CT and my husband & I would be working from home so commuting would not be an issue. Palm Harbor seems like a very nice High School...we would like a newer home however, if possible with a boat dock, but not on the gulf.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 PM

I just checked out the Holiday area and we don't want to be that far up....does anyone know about the Baywood Village? I think we are between Palm Harbor & Dunedin at this point.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:02 PM

296 posts, read 659,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMom23 View Post
I just checked out the Holiday area and we don't want to be that far up....does anyone know about the Baywood Village? I think we are between Palm Harbor & Dunedin at this point.
I lived in Baywood Village for a few years.... Older smaller homes, but a lot of them have been remodled on the inside. Its a quiet neighborhood for the most part. There are some younger renters in there but its mostly older couples. Our house sepcifically had a pool out back, and a dock that was behind it which was on an inlet to the Gulf. Neighbors had boats out there.

The only down fall to me is that the nighborhood is located off of Alt 19, which is kinda of a long slow boring road, gotta drive a little bit to get anywhere note worthy.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Thank you! We are now going back & forth between Palm Harbor & Sarasota...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay