Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,081,570 times

Advertisements

A quick look at the MLS only listings for the period of time from Sept lst to October 11th (today) looking at typical single family homes 3 or 4 beds, 2 or 3 bath with 2 car garage and pool elicited the following news. My seach looked at Active, Active with contract, Pending contract and Sold for this period.

There were 24 Active, 10 Active with Contract, 17 Pending contract and 24 Sold. Of the 24 Active, only six were on the market longer than 60 days! Of the 10 Active with contract only 7 had been on the market longer than 60 days, but they were all Short Sales, which typically close after much time has elapsed. What is remarkable about the stats is that of the 17 pending contract, 7 had been listed and gone under contract in 8 days or less! The other ten had only been on the market for up to 4 months maximum.
For the actual sold listings since September lst – there were 24 – one third had sold in under 30 days. 5 between 30 and 60 days, a further 4 took less than 90 days and 2 more in under 4 months. The remainder of those took longer, but were either sellers holding out for and achieving close to asking price, or fixer upper/short sale listings. The average selling price/listing price ratio was just over 95%!

I was the victim of this new housing ‘bubble’ in Seminole just this week. I had buyers interested in a property they offered as much as they could, which was 92% of asking price. The agent had 3 offers on the table on the same day, the result, the seller achieved over the asking price. Frankly I thought it was slightly overpriced, but knew that this home would probably sell quickly even though it needed updating in kitchen and 2 baths, and pool remarciting. Right now it is not a buyers market in Seminole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 PM

16 posts, read 23,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
A quick look at the MLS only listings for the period of time from Sept lst to October 11th (today) looking at typical single family homes 3 or 4 beds, 2 or 3 bath with 2 car garage and pool elicited the following news. My seach looked at Active, Active with contract, Pending contract and Sold for this period.

There were 24 Active, 10 Active with Contract, 17 Pending contract and 24 Sold. Of the 24 Active, only six were on the market longer than 60 days! Of the 10 Active with contract only 7 had been on the market longer than 60 days, but they were all Short Sales, which typically close after much time has elapsed. What is remarkable about the stats is that of the 17 pending contract, 7 had been listed and gone under contract in 8 days or less! The other ten had only been on the market for up to 4 months maximum.
For the actual sold listings since September lst – there were 24 – one third had sold in under 30 days. 5 between 30 and 60 days, a further 4 took less than 90 days and 2 more in under 4 months. The remainder of those took longer, but were either sellers holding out for and achieving close to asking price, or fixer upper/short sale listings. The average selling price/listing price ratio was just over 95%!

I was the victim of this new housing ‘bubble’ in Seminole just this week. I had buyers interested in a property they offered as much as they could, which was 92% of asking price. The agent had 3 offers on the table on the same day, the result, the seller achieved over the asking price. Frankly I thought it was slightly overpriced, but knew that this home would probably sell quickly even though it needed updating in kitchen and 2 baths, and pool remarciting. Right now it is not a buyers market in Seminole.
What is the market like for a small condo pref in a 55+ complex ? ? I'm looking for a small "bargain"condo but I've never lived in a condo and the fear of rising hoa fees will likely keep me from buying a condo. I am considering an apartment at Imperial Village instead.
thanks in advance

Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM

If you are looking in this area I would recommend a couple of places. HOA fees are always a bit scary when you are on a fixed income. Look for a good well managed complex. Most of the over 55s are, as they tend to have responsible owners.
depends on what you call a bargain though.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 PM

16 posts, read 23,776 times
to me a "bargain" condo would be $30,000 - $40,000 ... in a location that is safe .....HOA $200 .... I know I'm probably looking for the impossible but I've probably got a year before I make my move .... and Seminole/Largo is the area I am looking in...I have friends in Indian Rocks Beach and want to be close to them

Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,465,835 times
Actually being 55+ will help you here as there are more of them available then properties that everyone can get in to. I do not think that your price range would provide the 'Safe' location however. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but living that close to World Class Beaches has a price. Can you imagine how many people would be lined up to purchase one at that price.

Nice post Lavender. I think it is important for people to see factual information. Starting to see this all over the place. Anything less than 150K is extremely hard to find. What price ranges are you actually talking about selling?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,129,640 times
Yes, when we were house shopping we were looking in the Seminole area since we had been renting a home in that area and already had the kids in school there. Unfortunately, for us, the SF and features we needed made homes in that area out of out budget. It's a great area and I think it's a real gem of an area that a lot of people aren't aware of. Yes, shopping in the area is terrible.... but it's a nice laid back lifestyle. Especially West of Seminole BLVD.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Hm, I've been looking at Seminole, and it's tricky for us because we want a lot that's 3/4 acre or larger which seems to be in short supply in that area. I have this one on my fave list, and even though it won't be until next summer we can move at the earliest, can you tell me if this price is realistic? Just so I can get a better feel for what's going on?

10153 95th St, Seminole, FL 33777 - Zillow

Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Its not really Seminole proper. Its close to main east west county road so it's going to be noisy, then it backs onto
Osceola Schools's Baseball field, so you will have floodlights in the yard during season, and I believe it might be flood zone too, hence it's still on market after almost fifteen months. I am not sure if this home is zoned for seminole schools either, it would be prudent to check if you need the schools. I think its too high for the market just now.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Hey Gulfer, the price range is around $190,000 to $275,000

Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Thank you Lavender, that's very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay