Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Where is the factual basis for that map? It shows most of Hillsborough and all of pinellas as "blue" which you say is the highest risk. You never hear about sinkhole issues in Hillsborough and Pinellas...
I have, in Dunedin here's links.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...WXU1AIdaBicMgw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Nb2HIDOl-bD63A

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...YZGevVA3EZhPiw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
That may be true but they do require it if you get a mortgage and live in a sinkhole prone area. Sinkholes that open up and cause the whole house to be swallowed up is a different story.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Catastrophic collapse:

Sinkholes and Catastrophic Ground Collapse

Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Many reported sinkholes in the past were not really sinkholes but settlement cracks. There was/is a lot of fraud with sinkhole claims and the maps are not showing where real sinkholes were and where settlement cracks were claimed as sinkholes and paid off by the ins.

That is why everybody's ins. premium went up so high.

Land O'Lakes has an entire community where sinkholes are reported and we have a house pending sales next door and the buyers are aware of it and still want to buy in that street where 6 homes had real sinkholes.

So far I haven't heard of sinkholes in Trinity but more in Hudson (Beacon Woods and surroundings) and Spring Hill and occasionally in other areas since they can happen every where.

In my community one house was flagged as sinkhole but didn't have a sinkhole but had settlement issues and the owner tried to walk away and file a claim and stopped paying his mortgage. He didn't succeed and got a judgment against him to pay the mortgage and got a small amount paid by the ins. company towards the repairs and now is doing a short sale. It will hurt the neighboring homes that the house was flagged but I',m glad this owner wasn't able to scam and just needs to do a short sale or get foreclosed on just as others are doing.

Buyer aware since there are investors who bought sinkhole homes and fixed them up real nice and put them on the MLS and don't mention the sinkhole issues and don't mention that the agent is related to the seller...we have seen many of these homes and know who the agents are to watch out for...

Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Land O'Lakes has an entire community where sinkholes are reported and we have a house pending sales next door and the buyers are aware of it and still want to buy in that street where 6 homes had real sinkholes.
Sounds like the woman who still bought the house in safety harbor even after it flooded and molded out... people get too emotionally attached to homes and do not make rational decisions

Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
If people who move here, and want to live here don't start looking weight the entire state will be a huge giant sinkhole!!!!!!!!!!Check your BMI's ppl PLEASE! If you love FL so much, let's not sink it! 18 million ppl live here, and about 80% are overweight by A LOT.

That aside.....The area north of 54 is prone to sinkholes...however, there was a huge sinkhole off Van Dyke Rd which is a LOT south of that...so as you can see, it can happen anywhere.

This is Florida, you will either pay an insurance premium to live by the water, in a sinkhole zone, or a hurricane, but none will cost you as much as the car insurance costs. So in the general scope of things I would be a lot more concerned with the car insurance than anything else here.

Also, keep in mind that ALL this re-search you're doing online does nothing for you until you see everything with your own eyes.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM

That is because there are so many loopholes in this "insurance" business that people buy in high risk areas so they can file claims and buy HDTV's! let's be serious here, NO ONE in their right mind, who were responsible people would buy a house on a street with 6 documented sinkholes!

There should be a law suit filed against the builder who recklessly built on such grounds!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
If people who move here, and want to live here don't start looking weight the entire state will be a huge giant sinkhole!!!!!!!!!!Check your BMI's ppl PLEASE! If you love FL so much, let's not sink it! 18 million ppl live here, and about 80% are overweight by A LOT.
Haha - I have thought about that before - too much weight sinking this already fragile state. But not just humans, just all the buildings, pavings, cars, etc. I'm actually glad there are a lot of people who hate it here and want to leave, I really hope they do. It's hard not to be defensive at times, since I personally love it so much here, but frankly, there are too many people here already, so I am all for Florida "going on a diet" so to speak!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM

Haha yeah! We should have billboards up....
"Don't sink our holes!"

I wonder how many sinkholes Disney has had....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Haha - I have thought about that before - too much weight sinking this already fragile state. But not just humans, just all the buildings, pavings, cars, etc. I'm actually glad there are a lot of people who hate it here and want to leave, I really hope they do. It's hard not to be defensive at times, since I personally love it so much here, but frankly, there are too many people here already, so I am all for Florida "going on a diet" so to speak!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Where is the factual basis for that map? It shows most of Hillsborough and all of pinellas as "blue" which you say is the highest risk. You never hear about sinkhole issues in Hillsborough and Pinellas...
The map was from the Department of Natural Resources, Bureau of Geology. I would call them pretty reliable to put together such a map.
Here is another map for you, I lived in Pinellas and heard of many sinkhole issues, Hillsborough has problems lot also. Just because Pasco and Hernando have many does not mean Hillsborough and Pinellas do not have them as well.

Not sure of the time frame for this but you can see there are more than enough to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay