Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 PM

143 posts, read 241,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I am all Mac though, so if you're on Windows then I can see where you may have issues with that, and where the cat5 might work better.
LOL how does choice of OS affect anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Well, pretty much everything! Windows SUCKS!

Mac OS is a million times more stable than Windows when it comes to wireless connections....been using all Macs on Wireless since 2003 without any issues what so ever; I had a brand new Windows Vista laptop a few years back, that was supposed to work great on wireless, and after selecting the network, putting the password etc it would keep the connection for like 10 minutes and then it would lose it...I had to keep that one on the cat 5 or I wouldn't get to stay online long. Before that I used to have several Windows desktops that I wanted on wireless because of the million cables, and I had a Linksys router, a Belkin, a Netgear and tried a few others and they would not keep that connection at all...and at that time we had a regular phone, that was away from all the computers...the minute I switched to Macs I never had another issue with connectivity; 9 years now. Turn on, work, turn off.

I can go outside to my neighbor's house and still have awesome signal. In Cheval I was all the way in the back yard far away from the office which was in the front, and had no issues. Plus, Windows machines always have problems. I won't work on another Windows machine if someone paid me a million bucks. The aggravation is not worth it to me at all.

If We were to build a house anywhere, the only request I would have would be that in the office they make me a niche for the wireless router because the cords in the back stick out too much, and they don't bend, so it takes up too much space on my desk hutch. I'd have them put in an upper built in shelf, or a small area in the closet...but then again, if we buy any house I can have my husband do that to keep it off my desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_M View Post
LOL how does choice of OS affect anything.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 AM

210 posts, read 576,901 times
While deviating from the original drawings is common and a money maker for builders, one must not overlook the value of a Phase inspection. Before everything gets covered up, the home inspector checks for hack electrical, framing, plumbing, stucco,
roofing jobs. Of course most builders stand by their workmanship 100% for 1 year, the fact is most defects don't show up till well past your warranty term expires. Just google stucco problems in Florida to see where sub contractors for the builders cut corners and then say "oh well, can't see it from my house". A non bias 3rd party opinion is well worth the money spent.

Tom

Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 PM

143 posts, read 241,610 times
Quote:
Well, pretty much everything! Windows SUCKS!

Mac OS is a million times more stable than Windows when it comes to wireless connections....been using all Macs on Wireless since 2003 without any issues what so ever; I had a brand new Windows Vista laptop a few years back, that was supposed to work great on wireless, and after selecting the network, putting the password etc it would keep the connection for like 10 minutes and then it would lose it...I had to keep that one on the cat 5 or I wouldn't get to stay online long. Before that I used to have several Windows desktops that I wanted on wireless because of the million cables, and I had a Linksys router, a Belkin, a Netgear and tried a few others and they would not keep that connection at all...and at that time we had a regular phone, that was away from all the computers...the minute I switched to Macs I never had another issue with connectivity; 9 years now. Turn on, work, turn off.

I can go outside to my neighbor's house and still have awesome signal. In Cheval I was all the way in the back yard far away from the office which was in the front, and had no issues. Plus, Windows machines always have problems. I won't work on another Windows machine if someone paid me a million bucks. The aggravation is not worth it to me at all.

If We were to build a house anywhere, the only request I would have would be that in the office they make me a niche for the wireless router because the cords in the back stick out too much, and they don't bend, so it takes up too much space on my desk hutch. I'd have them put in an upper built in shelf, or a small area in the closet...but then again, if we buy any house I can have my husband do that to keep it off my desk.
Interesting experience. I'm a little surprised though since a mac based pc and a windows one share pretty much the same hardware. I suspect though that you were using a 'name brand' windows pc vs. one built by someone in the hobby for lack of better terminology. Name brand pc's notoriously come loaded with crap software that grind everything to a halt and the hardware isn't usually good quality either. I understand your frustration with it because I have friends and family ask me to fix it all the time. When they're looking for a new setup I can either tell them to buy a branded PC at best buy or what ever and spend hours trying to help them get it running cleanly after I strip out the junk or build a
pc for them but then forever become their tech support because they cant handle doing things for themselves like sorting out drivers, etc.. It's a no-win situation. Apple sorts all that out and protects itself against it's users rather well I've read. But you pay dearly for that and lose a lot of functionality, upgradeability, and customization too. I use windows because I don't think apple is capable of doing what I do. There is no perfect answer so pick your poison.

And FWIW we have windows based pc's, apple products and android based products too and they all have the same sketchy connection. Mind you I have only ever bought $40 to $60 routers. Maybe a unit closer to $200 would prove it's worth. Also consider what you're doing with your hardware is probably different than what I'm doing so we may have different requirements on our hardware. How many TB of data are you trying to move around your network while somebody is watching a movie?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 PM

Nope, I never bought a brand/pre built desktop ever! I used to built all my desktops, but the hardware is irrelevant; the wireless performance has to do with software 90% of the time. The Mac OS is better built, and more stable.
I use a LOT of TBs!!! With hundreds of RAW photos, large software programs like CS5, etc.

Apple is pricy for a reason, and totally worth it to me, it does everything I need it to do and more; and they are highly customizable. You should try one at the Apple store....

I can move as much data as I want! We have FIOS=wireless internet, phone, and cable...no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_M View Post
Interesting experience. I'm a little surprised though since a mac based pc and a windows one share pretty much the same hardware. I suspect though that you were using a 'name brand' windows pc vs. one built by someone in the hobby for lack of better terminology. Name brand pc's notoriously come loaded with crap software that grind everything to a halt and the hardware isn't usually good quality either. I understand your frustration with it because I have friends and family ask me to fix it all the time. When they're looking for a new setup I can either tell them to buy a branded PC at best buy or what ever and spend hours trying to help them get it running cleanly after I strip out the junk or build a
pc for them but then forever become their tech support because they cant handle doing things for themselves like sorting out drivers, etc.. It's a no-win situation. Apple sorts all that out and protects itself against it's users rather well I've read. But you pay dearly for that and lose a lot of functionality, upgradeability, and customization too. I use windows because I don't think apple is capable of doing what I do. There is no perfect answer so pick your poison.

And FWIW we have windows based pc's, apple products and android based products too and they all have the same sketchy connection. Mind you I have only ever bought $40 to $60 routers. Maybe a unit closer to $200 would prove it's worth. Also consider what you're doing with your hardware is probably different than what I'm doing so we may have different requirements on our hardware. How many TB of data are you trying to move around your network while somebody is watching a movie?

Old 10-20-2012, 07:15 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
I find that interesting being that I work on computers every day and don't see much of a difference in wireless reliability between the 2. Of course, a 300 dollar Toshiba isn't going to keep up with a 1500 dollar mac-book in any capacity but your wireless performance and range is based MUCH more on the interference around you than the hardware in your computer.

That said, the OP's thought of running cat 5 throughout is very smart, im building a house and will be doing the same. Wireless just isnt as reliable and will also lose throughput, especially as we start getting faster and faster internet connections.

There are other options as well rather than running cat 5. You can set up a MOCA network and use your cable lines for data (along with your cable) or home-plugs to use your electrical house wiring for sending data. Both are better than wireless but not quite as good as cat 5.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 AM

So far in my 12 year experience working with computers, building different Windows based systems (for gaming, graphics and web applications), I have not seen one single Windows based wireless network that didn't need to be tickled with non stop to make it work, one that just "worked". On the flip side, all my macs, and my friends' macs, and other people's mac's I have helped set up, I never experienced 1 issue with wireless, nor have I had to troubleshoot it. Of course I am not comparing a $300 machine with a Mac Book Pro! The computers I used to build were very powerful, and cost pretty much the same as a Mac by the time we were done buying parts. Windows is just not as stale as Mac OS... simple as that. In my experience.

I don't think I would ever fit the house with Cat5's at this point, it would be overkill. Like I said, FIOS works great, and is fast, and does everything we need it to do. Brighthouse used to be great back when we lived in Orlando, now though, their quality went south...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I find that interesting being that I work on computers every day and don't see much of a difference in wireless reliability between the 2. Of course, a 300 dollar Toshiba isn't going to keep up with a 1500 dollar mac-book in any capacity but your wireless performance and range is based MUCH more on the interference around you than the hardware in your computer.

That said, the OP's thought of running cat 5 throughout is very smart, im building a house and will be doing the same. Wireless just isnt as reliable and will also lose throughput, especially as we start getting faster and faster internet connections.

There are other options as well rather than running cat 5. You can set up a MOCA network and use your cable lines for data (along with your cable) or home-plugs to use your electrical house wiring for sending data. Both are better than wireless but not quite as good as cat 5.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
Quote:
So far in my 12 year experience working with computers, building different Windows based systems (for gaming, graphics and web applications), I have not seen one single Windows based wireless network that didn't need to be tickled with non stop to make it work, one that just "worked". On the flip side, all my macs, and my friends' macs, and other people's mac's I have helped set up, I never experienced 1 issue with wireless, nor have I had to troubleshoot it. Of course I am not comparing a $300 machine with a Mac Book Pro! The computers I used to build were very powerful, and cost pretty much the same as a Mac by the time we were done buying parts. Windows is just not as stale as Mac OS... simple as that. In my experience.

I don't think I would ever fit the house with Cat5's at this point, it would be overkill. Like I said, FIOS works great, and is fast, and does everything we need it to do. Brighthouse used to be great back when we lived in Orlando, now though, their quality went south...
Actually in the past year or so their quality has went quite north.. Tons of network improvements, better equipment in the home and better service now than ever, We wont turn this into a bhn vs fios topic though.

I go to many peoples houses and most never have issues with their network on either PC or MAC. Im also not saying PC's are better than macs, I just cant honestly say with my experience that a mac is better than a PC on wireless networks. ( I do like mac's over all though, they do seem like better built computers compared to some of their PC counterparts, I just dont use mine enough to justify the cost for myself).

It honestly comes to luck and location with WIFI. We have a tool that is basically a spectrum analyzer for the 2.4GHZ range and some houses have hardly any interference while others are so bad I don't know how anything is working. It just depends on what else you have in the house (cordless phones, appliances, rf remote controls, wireless alarm systems, blutooth devices, remote control cars, etc..)

If your in an apartment or townhouse sort of MDU, your probably SOL when it comes to WIFI being reliable. Unless your able to make use of the 5ghz band and escape the clutter of 2.4ghz, your probably going to be up and down in speed and connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: