Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:54 AM

43 posts, read 258,497 times

Advertisements

We (family w/ a 6 year old daughter) are seriously considering a move to the area. We've been doing some research and it appears that Dunedin has much of what we seek in a community:
- Close proximity to a Waldorf elementary school in Palm Harbor
- Village/Dowtown environment with plenty of walking. Our feeling is that the least amount of driving the better...

I'm curious if someone (especially transplants from the Northeast) can give me a sense of the community and residents of Dunedin. I'll be sure to visit the local spots in town on my visit in about a week, but any info. I can gather beforehand would be great.

We live in a pretty neat, diverse, middle class to affluent, (mostly liberal), village type Philly community called Chestnut Hill. We love the area...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,474 times
As a transplant from the Philadelphia suburbs a little over a year ago, let me tell you that Dunedin is a WONDERFUL town in Northern Pinellas County. You've got several meticulously maintained parks and the Pinellas Trail nearby, quality public schools to choose from, close proximity to the beaches, absolutely amazing local libraries --- Dunedin is a gem. You'll get that safe, diverse, small town feel amongst a major metro-area that you're used to in Chestnut Hill, but without the 4.5% city wage tax.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:46 AM

84 posts, read 384,486 times
We LOVE living in Dunedin. It is very pedestrian friendly, has great restaurants & shops,minutes to the top rated beach in the nation and a community feel that can't be beat. It is very diverse and has great events every year. Dunedin Wines the Blues has about 25,00 people in November and Mardi Gras has about 35,000 people that come out for music, beer, wine, parades and they close the downtown for the day. We have a fantastic art center, library, and the Pinellas Trail is one of the best in the country. Moderator cut: advertising. My friend is going to be the new principal at San Jose Elementary this year and she has been wanting that job for a long time because she loves this little town and everything in it. The Main Street area has award winning dining, shops, bars, and it is all walkable and affordable. You will love it here and as you can tell I can't say enough good things about it.....

Last edited by Keeper; 09-19-2007 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 08-03-2007, 06:49 PM

43 posts, read 258,497 times
Thanks AngryChair & DunedinGirl. Dunedin sounds wonderful.

I have a final job interview this Monday and will be visiting the area on Sunday, specifically Dunedin... You're right about the Philly citywage tax. However, I'm thinking real estate insurance is pretty high in the area. Maybe I'm wrong.

Question - any ideas how long a commute from Dowtown Dunedin to the Veterans Exp/W Waters Ave. area would be?

Old 08-04-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjtoledo View Post
Thanks AngryChair & DunedinGirl. Dunedin sounds wonderful.

I have a final job interview this Monday and will be visiting the area on Sunday, specifically Dunedin... You're right about the Philly citywage tax. However, I'm thinking real estate insurance is pretty high in the area. Maybe I'm wrong.

Question - any ideas how long a commute from Dowtown Dunedin to the Veterans Exp/W Waters Ave. area would be?

About 20-25 minutes is all....not bad

Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 AM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times
We are a couple living in NYC and are going down to the Dunedin area to check it out at the end of this month, Sept for 12 days and hopefully relocate in one year. We considered St. Pete.. but leaning now towards Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor etc.
We look to rent to start,, then look to purchase a 4 bedroom home and start a family.
Care to exchange what we hear from our posts and communicate directly ?
Michael

Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
We are a couple living in NYC and are going down to the Dunedin area to check it out at the end of this month, Sept for 12 days and hopefully relocate in one year. We considered St. Pete.. but leaning now towards Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor etc.
We look to rent to start,, then look to purchase a 4 bedroom home and start a family.
Care to exchange what we hear from our posts and communicate directly ?
Michael

I was born and raised in St. Pete and have lived in Dunedin for the last 12 years andabsolutely love it here. You will love Dunedin and you should have beautiful weather at the end of the month. There are plenty of homes available for rent but it will depend on how much you would like to spend.

If you have any questions about restaurants (Casa Tina, Black Pearl, Cafe Alfresco, Kelly's for Just about Anything)(my faves), hotels or anything else to do around here, just let me know and I will try to help you find some great places to visit while you are here

Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 PM

29 posts, read 97,363 times
Default Dunedin

I'm thinking of buying a house in Dunedin, but I have two concerns: 1) Ultimately I might find it boring there; 2) is it like a retirement village or is there a mix of all ages including singles.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterer View Post
I'm thinking of buying a house in Dunedin, but I have two concerns: 1) Ultimately I might find it boring there; 2) is it like a retirement village or is there a mix of all ages including singles.
I guess it depends on what you like to do....There is the Pinellas Trail that runs through the center of town where you can bike, jog, or roller blade. The downtown Main Street area has award winning restaurants, along w/ martini bars, art galleries, pubs, Dunedin Brewery, antique shops, and quirky little shops that sell all kinds of things. We close the streets of the downtown area for Mardi Gras (35,000 people) and Dunedin Wines the Blues (25,000 people) and there is a parade and live music, food stands, and everyone has a great time. There is during cooler weather a Green Market (during the fall & spring), we have an Old-Fashioned Christmas w/ horse & buggy rides and the whole town is lit up & decorated, the nation's #1 beach right now, a downtown marina, concrete skateboard park, disc golf course, Donald Ross designed golf course, movies in the park, art fairs and Toronto Blue Jays training camp and more.....Whew.......

And that is JUST Dunedin, not Palm Harbor, Clearwater, Ozona, and Tampa 15 minutes away.

There are retirement communities but if I had the choice and I lived up north I would retire here too

It is all what you make of it and I forgot to mention Dunedin Causeway w/ kayaking, swimming, fishing, dog beach, windsurfing and shuttles out to one of the most gorgeous beaches you have ever seen....

My hubby and I are in our late 30's and early 40's and we never have enough time to do everything we want to do. We have friends that are single in their 20's and both of our parents live here and they are in their 60's and 70's and we are all busy doing something all the time. If anyone visits, take some time and walk around downtown Dunedin on a Friday or Saturday night and you will see what I mean......Eat, drink and be merry

That is just off the top of my head and rambling a bit but it should give you a good idea of what is available to you here.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Default Hi DunedinGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunedingirl View Post
I was born and raised in St. Pete and have lived in Dunedin for the last 12 years andabsolutely love it here. You will love Dunedin and you should have beautiful weather at the end of the month. There are plenty of homes available for rent but it will depend on how much you would like to spend.

If you have any questions about restaurants (Casa Tina, Black Pearl, Cafe Alfresco, Kelly's for Just about Anything)(my faves), hotels or anything else to do around here, just let me know and I will try to help you find some great places to visit while you are here
Thanks for the feedback.,.. we now cannot wait to get down there and spend 12 days just chillin' and checkin' out the area. We will take a drive to Ft Myers as well as Sarasota/Bradenton,,, to basically get it over with and confirm our decision for Pinellas Cty
We are currently looking to rent a place for the 12 days... perhaps 7 days in one place and the other 5 in another,,,, in the Clearwater area... so that centrally locates us. We want something not by the beach,, as this trip is a fact finding trip... not lay on the beach trip. Though we are looking to rent bicycles and travel the Pinellas Trail.. as we are bikers here in NYC and know biking, one gets a feel better than driving around and covers more area than walking.
Do You know any place to search for, for the weeks rental... ?
I am currently seeking the Web for places... but nothing clicks yet.

Thanks for the reply and hope for more,

Michael

PS feel free to write me directly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay