Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM

294 posts, read 542,465 times

Advertisements

Title pretty much says it all...as much as I DESPISE this cold we get here in MA. and I mean DESPISE....I wonder if me living here for all of my life (35 yrs to be exact) then move down to Florida how I am going to 'adjust' to year round heat..I mean the thought of it sounds great and I truely think I will do just fine because come fall here aside of the first 2 weeks of it(foilage and crisp air) I am over it in no time...it gets cold really quick we don't really get much of a transition it is like 90 and humid then 70 and dry for like 2-3 weeks then right down to 50 for like 2 weeks then boom 30's and colder for like 5 months or more depending..so I don't know if me living up here for so long has 'thickened' my blood so where I think I will be fine, I wonder if I will end up feeling like I am suffocating from the heat lol...how long did it take for your bodies to adjust to the change in climate???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM

67 posts, read 184,354 times
I absolutely love heat and humidity. Moved here in July so I experienced the summer weather here. It's really, really, really, hot and humid. Most people here go from AC homes to AC cars, to AC jobs. Not many out and about during the hot summer time.
Today it is in the 60's here. We are freezing! Heat is on. Sure didn't take us long to adjust.
But, if you don't like hot, humid weather for long periods of time with no break, this wouldn't be the place for you. I don't think it takes a long time to adjust, if you like it.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster602 View Post
I absolutely love heat and humidity. Moved here in July so I experienced the summer weather here. It's really, really, really, hot and humid. Most people here go from AC homes to AC cars, to AC jobs. Not many out and about during the hot summer time.
Today it is in the 60's here. We are freezing! Heat is on. Sure didn't take us long to adjust.
But, if you don't like hot, humid weather for long periods of time with no break, this wouldn't be the place for you. I don't think it takes a long time to adjust, if you like it.
I love the heat and humidity as well. I really don't care for the cold weather we are having today. I am soooo looking forward to summer. Having lived somewhere with just as much humidity, but even hotter summers, I can say I have already adjusted...........LOL

Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
It's all relative really.
What's cold to Floridians will be considered decent or warm to you. It's just the fact people who live in FL are used to dealing with heat and humidity for 9 months out of the year, then when winter comes....and temps go below 80 degrees it all of a sudden feels very very cool. Because you're so used to 90 and humid that once it goes below that you're like "whoa it feels cool".....just because you're always so used to it feeling hot all the time.

So, anyone can adjust fine. I mean coming from MASS where it's freezing for half the year I think u'd appreciate the mild to warm winters here in FL and then.... kinda think it's too hot during the summer and fall and prob spring here too lol. You're gonna be like "omg, it's so hot"

So, it's all relative.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM

294 posts, read 542,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
It's all relative really.
What's cold to Floridians will be considered decent or warm to you. It's just the fact people who live in FL are used to dealing with heat and humidity for 9 months out of the year, then when winter comes....and temps go below 80 degrees it all of a sudden feels very very cool. Because you're so used to 90 and humid that once it goes below that you're like "whoa it feels cool".....just because you're always so used to it feeling hot all the time.

So, anyone can adjust fine. I mean coming from MASS where it's freezing for half the year I think u'd appreciate the mild to warm winters here in FL and then.... kinda think it's too hot during the summer and fall and prob spring here too lol. You're gonna be like "omg, it's so hot"

So, it's all relative.
True. I mean we get the hot and humid weather here (July and August only though..but it gets like 90 degrees with 70% humidity) and I hate it for long periods of time BUT I also don't have central air I only have 1 room in my house with a window a/c and that is the bedroom so I am sweating 90% of the time with no air or breezes..I have fans but they are small and don't really do much but blow the hot air around lol and I live over 2 hours from any beaches..this past summer I finally got a pool so this summer was not a problem for me at all!! Hence me knowing I need to be close to beaches when/if I make the move...but where I know I like the little relief I get at the end of the summer I wonder if I would be able to adjust down there...again have to keep in mind I don't get much relief from the heat here either so picture your summer with no A/C or pool/beach...of course it would be hell LOL !! So I figure if I have a pool and live close to the beach and also have a/c to get a break from the heat I THINK I should be fine...just don't know how long it takes to adjust or if I will be fine...time will tell I guess...

Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM

670 posts, read 1,277,262 times
It does take some getting used to. I am not sure I have fully adjusted yet lol. I have been here for 6 years and by August, definitely by September, I am soooo over the heat and MISSING FALL temps BADLY. I LOVE when it cools down from the sweltering summer temps. I even miss snow periodically and having cold temps around the holidays. Those are the things that I think I am still adjusting to. I am getting there. This past Christmas, I was in shorts on Christmas day and typically that would have depressed me but I was ok. I was still in the Christmas spirit, despite the warmth outside. I now appreciate the holidays, FL style.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
I have to agree with all the above. Its a very personal thing. I too learned to despise cold weather after being a tropical environment for 2 years. I came back in June and in December there was a massive snow storm. I knew then that I wasnt long for that. After a few more years of hot summers and cold winters we came to FL in late June to be sure we got the summer experience out of the way. It was pretty good. Lots of rain every day (this was Orlando, less out here on the west coast) and temperatures in the higher 90s during the day. We found it was the HUMIDITY that kills ya, not the heat. :-)

Right now, with these 60's temps, its too cold for us.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM

4,476 posts, read 3,843,568 times
The fact is that most (not all, but MOST) people who relocate here adjust to the heat and humidity because the heat and humidity do not have as many DOWNSIDES as those 6 months of cold weather do. Yes, you sweat and yes you have to run the AC and deal with mosquitoes and the rare tropical cyclone, but the 6 months of cold weather up north have so many more negatives, and you have to deal with those negatives year in and year out.

Just get a piece of paper and put PROS/CONS of hot climate and PROS/CONS of cold climate and you will see that the cold climate list is much longer.

I say this as a native Floridian who has lived decades in Florida and decades in New England and have the benefit of being able to analyze both options from personal experience, and made a reasonable choice based on pros/cons of each.

The people who move back north because they never "adjusted" to Florida don't go back b/c of the weather, they go back because of Florida's other characteristics they dislike (bad economy, lack of educated populace, lack of sophisticated leisure options etc.).

In conclusion, I would just like to say that I would rather sweat in Florida's disgusting summers than ever go through an ice storm ever again. In fall I spend a weekend in New England to get a taste of autumn, and in winter I might go skiing in Colorado, but but by the third day, I am DONE with the snow, and excited to get back to 60s in Tampa.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
True. I mean we get the hot and humid weather here (July and August only though..but it gets like 90 degrees with 70% humidity) and I hate it for long periods of time BUT I also don't have central air I only have 1 room in my house with a window a/c and that is the bedroom so I am sweating 90% of the time with no air or breezes..I have fans but they are small and don't really do much but blow the hot air around lol and I live over 2 hours from any beaches..this past summer I finally got a pool so this summer was not a problem for me at all!! Hence me knowing I need to be close to beaches when/if I make the move...but where I know I like the little relief I get at the end of the summer I wonder if I would be able to adjust down there...again have to keep in mind I don't get much relief from the heat here either so picture your summer with no A/C or pool/beach...of course it would be hell LOL !! So I figure if I have a pool and live close to the beach and also have a/c to get a break from the heat I THINK I should be fine...just don't know how long it takes to adjust or if I will be fine...time will tell I guess...
Thats something you'll never really know until you try it. It definatly takes some getting used to. We moved to Florida not so much because of the weather, we were just looking for something different. I had lived my whole life in New Hampshire. The first few years we didnt have a pool and it was pretty uncomfortable. I worked outside so i couldnt wait to get home and get in the house with the a/c. After putting a pool in, that helped a little, but by the middle of summer the water was so warm that it really didnt cool you down all that much. The same with the beach water. I may be wrong but i believe the water at Clearwater Beach was somewhere up around 85-90 degrees at times. After a few years i started doing work that put me on roofs and in attics. Way to hot for me. It seemed the longer we were there the more the heat bothered me. Its not that it's that hot but it seems never ending.I suppose that if you have a office job or work in a/c enviornment it probablly isnt to bad. Any way we moved back to the frozen tundra of N.H. and are doing fine. I was actually sitting on the porch of my cabin yesterday ( it was 54 degrees) looking at the snow on Mt. Washington thinking This aint so bad. Good Luck with your move to Florida.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,376 times
Remember when I went to the beach yesterday? Well today I've been freezing!!!

What you will(may) have an issue adjusting to is sudden temperature changes; like going from a 90 degree parking lot into a 50 degree grocery store!!!! Or like these months now, two nice and warm days and now I feel like I need a comforter over my jacket! (And I lived in Europe for 27 years with 4 seasons)!

Today sucks! And to suck more gas prices went up again for some reason?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay