Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Exactly!

I find it laughable that some think we should disregard decades of precise measurements from professionals and instead go by hyperbole about in one certain section of the water, at one specific time of day, with the wind just so, with my home built thermometer, I once got a reading that was different than NOAA....therefore all the NOAA numbers are wrong........LOL

Give me a break. Like you, I will stick with the professionals.

At/near the beach...........which is where people swim

During the daylight hours.........which is when people swim

In the mid-late summer...........which is when most people swim

In 20ft or less.............which is where people swim

The water temperatures CONSISTANTLY EXCEEDS 90+ DEGREES.

FACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Looking back at my post, I see the edit took place, but the link did not. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
You can do so using quotes, or just pasting the link. Imagine if YOU spent time writing a whole thing about some subject, and then have it circulate over the net and you(who wrote it) getting no credit for it. It would aggravate you a lot trust me.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
if you read my post, you will see changes to the text. As I just stated above, a link was meant to be provided as evidenced by the edit note on the post itself. Basically, I was using the posted data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Taking an idea from somebody and rephrasing and referring is not a problem. What you did were just copy and paste. That's a different thing. You put it as if you wrote it but not a single word came from you and you don't see a problem with that? I don't know what kind of profession you are, but this is an absolute no as far as I am concerned.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
if you read my post, you will see changes to the text. As I just stated above, a link was meant to be provided as evidenced by the edit note on the post itself. Basically, I was using the posted data.
Which change? You didn't change. You just copy and paste and are now trying to defend it. This is called stealing other people material.

You posted this on post #2

Quote:

Most people seem to prefer water temperatures of about 85 degrees for swimming. The Gulf of Mexico can get into the low 90's during July and August. This is too warm for a lot of people, but I love it.
Often, during the summer months, the water is actually warmer than the air, since the sea breeze along the Gulf Coast keeps the air temperatures in the upper 80's while in Orlando it might be 98 degrees (or higher).

Here's an idea of what water temperatures mean to me:

50 - 60 degrees Fahrenheit - look out for polar bears.
61 - 70 - Canadians and British folk only.
71 - 75 - southerners will start to wade in the water. Canadians, northerners & Brits will stay in all day.
76 80 - Nearly everyone will swim in these temperatures. 76 is a bit cool, but 80 is just about perfect for everyone.
81 - 86 - Perfect for a long refreshing swim. A quick dip will ward off overheating on a hot day
86 - 91 - Very warm. Jump right in. Doesn't cool you off much.
92 and up - Like bath water. Perfect for Floridians. Around sunset, the water is actually warmer than the air. You'll find water temps above 90 during ]uly & August on the Gulf coast. 96 or even 98 degrees is not unheard of in the Gulf of Mexico
Here is the website

Quote:
Most people seem to prefer water temperatures of about 85 degrees for swimming. The Gulf of Mexico can get into the low 90's during July and August. This is too warm for a lot of people, but I love it. It doesn't cool you off much though. Often during the summer months the water is actually warmer than the air, since the sea breeze along the Gulf Coast keeps the air temperatures in the upper 80's while in Orlando it might be 98 degrees (or higher).

Here's an idea of what water temperatures mean to you
  • 50 - 60 degrees Fahrenheit - look out for polar bears.
  • 61 - 70 - Canadians and British folk only.
  • 71 - 75 - southerners will start to wade in the water. Canadians, northerners & Brits will stay in all day.
  • 76 - 80 - Nearly everyone will swim in these temperatures. 76 is a bit cool, but 80 is just about perfect for everyone.
  • 81 - 86 - Perfect for a long refreshing swim. A quick dip will ward off overheating on a hot day.
  • 86 - 91 - Very warm. Jump right in. Doesn't cool you off much.
  • 92 and up - Like bath water. Perfect for Florida natives like me. Around sunset, the water is actually warmer than the air. You'll find water temps above 90 during July & August on the Gulf coast. 96 or even 98 degrees is not unheard of in the Gulf of Mexico.
where is the change?

You post #46 is this

Quote:
C]onsider that most official temperatures are not recorded at the beach, but by buoys floating offshore, so that the "official" temperatures you see on the weather reports are usually a few degrees warmer than the actual beach water temperatures during the winter, and a few degrees cooler than the actual beach water temperatures in the summer. This is because the shallow waters on the beach change temperature more quickly in response to weather conditions than the offshore waters.

Makes sense, right A cup of water boils faster than 2 cups of water.

Depending on the weather, water temperatures can run 5 to 7 degrees cooler or warmer than the averages

Here is the website

Quote:
consider that most official temperatures are not recorded at the beach, but by buoys floating offshore, so that the "official" temperatures you see on the weather reports or in the table above are usually a few degrees warmer than the actual beach water temperatures during the winter, and a few degrees cooler than the actual beach water temperatures in the summer. This is because the shallow waters on the beach change temperature more quickly in response to weather conditions than the offshore waters.

You again just copy and paste. Don't try to defend it. We will just call it a day....

Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Title pretty much says it all...as much as I DESPISE this cold we get here in MA. and I mean DESPISE....I wonder if me living here for all of my life (35 yrs to be exact) then move down to Florida how I am going to 'adjust' to year round heat..I mean the thought of it sounds great and I truely think I will do just fine because come fall here aside of the first 2 weeks of it(foilage and crisp air) I am over it in no time...it gets cold really quick we don't really get much of a transition it is like 90 and humid then 70 and dry for like 2-3 weeks then right down to 50 for like 2 weeks then boom 30's and colder for like 5 months or more depending..so I don't know if me living up here for so long has 'thickened' my blood so where I think I will be fine, I wonder if I will end up feeling like I am suffocating from the heat lol...how long did it take for your bodies to adjust to the change in climate???
I lived most all of my life in the NE also. I find that being in the Myrtle Beach area we have the four seasons and it is not such of a drastic change.
In the winter we have days in the high 70's but also days only in the 50's. Lows at night can go into the 20's. Many times in the winter there is perhaps one snow storm. It comes in quickly and melts fast.
But winter here is enjoyable as you can get out and about with a light jacket, or many times no jacket at all. I enjoy looking at flowers all winter long. One can't complain about the greenness either.
We will gradually turn into Spring come March. The end of March I have been swimming in the ocean.
I feel like May starts Summer here and it continues into September. We do get a fall season in October, more towards the end. Trees do change color and it is quite beautiful.
Florida may be more of a shock to your system but I think you will get use to it. During the hottest hours down there we would shop in the air conditioning. Nights are not all that bad. Best of Luck to you.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
If ONLY there was a way to swim in Statistics, and Averages by the shore!!!!!
You're post is so retarded, and OFF topic that now I am finally putting you on IGNORE.
My work is done

Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 PM

294 posts, read 542,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I lived most all of my life in the NE also. I find that being in the Myrtle Beach area we have the four seasons and it is not such of a drastic change.
In the winter we have days in the high 70's but also days only in the 50's. Lows at night can go into the 20's. Many times in the winter there is perhaps one snow storm. It comes in quickly and melts fast.
But winter here is enjoyable as you can get out and about with a light jacket, or many times no jacket at all. I enjoy looking at flowers all winter long. One can't complain about the greenness either.
We will gradually turn into Spring come March. The end of March I have been swimming in the ocean.
I feel like May starts Summer here and it continues into September. We do get a fall season in October, more towards the end. Trees do change color and it is quite beautiful.
Florida may be more of a shock to your system but I think you will get use to it. During the hottest hours down there we would shop in the air conditioning. Nights are not all that bad. Best of Luck to you.
Thank you!! I am sure I will get used to it, like others have said I'd rather be dying in heat than freezing my butt off in the below zero temps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay