Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times

Advertisements

Funny that the Wall Street journal (Fox News) would skew their findings to favor states that privatize public schools and try to lower wages for teachers/workers.

Last edited by things and stuff; 02-02-2013 at 09:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
If by old stereotypes you mean a couple years ago.. Education Rank - Data Across States - KIDS COUNT Data Center
Maybe you can help me out. I was trying to find the methodology for this report and came up with this.

Quote:
Education Ranks for 2012 for each state using a consistent set of economic indicators; namely those used to derive the rank reported in the 2012 KIDS COUNT Data Book. The Education Rank for each state was obtained in the following manner. First, we converted the2010 (or 2008/2009, depending on the indicator) state numerical values for each of the 4 key indicators within each domain into standard scores. We summed those standard scores in each domain to get a total standard score for each state. Finally, we ranked the states on the basis of their total standard score by domain in sequential order from highest/best (1) to lowest/worst (50). Standard scores were derived by subtracting the mean score from the observed score and dividing the amount by the standard deviation for that distribution of scores. All measures were given the same weight in calculating the domain standard score.
It looks like the ranking is based solely on economic indicators. I never understood why there was so much emphasis on school ranking was based on how much a teacher is paid. Florida teachers making $45,000 as opposed to New Jersey teachers making $63,000 makes the schools better? The cost of living in New Jersey is significantly higher than Florida which would even things out between salaries but New Jersey would get a higher ranking just based on that.

Some rankings only use the one economic indicator but it seems this ranking uses 4 and doesn't let you know what they are. Doesn't seem like a good way to rank schools.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
HaHa I lauphed when i saw Texas ranked as one.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I thought this might be a serious posting until I saw West Virginia, Kentucky, Georgia, and Arkansas also listed.. LoL
This!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 AM

294 posts, read 542,738 times
Well Massachusetts is ranked as #2 and I happen to agree the schools up here can be pretty amazing..there are the 'bad' schools up here as well though...my daughter learned how to read books in kindergarten, she is in 1st grade and reads chapter books!! Idk but that seems really good to me. I don't rem. what grade I learned to read in but I also went to very low ranked schools, I grew up in very poor neighborhood so the schools mirrored that as well...I want better for my kids so I put them in the best ranked public school in the city..I can't afford private school so this was my only way to ensure they did well. Now my son is only in preschool so if/when we move to Florida he will be starting kindergarten there, I really hope they are comparable to what we have here.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Funny that the Wall Street journal (Fox News) would skew their findings to favor states that privatize public schools and try to lower wages for teachers/workers.
This is not the wall street journal you are thinking.

Sorry, to dampen the excitement but this ranking based on solely two criteria (graduate rate and expenditure) is nonsense. It doesn't even look at the actual achievement of the students. Don't get carried away people.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post

Sorry, to dampen the excitement but this ranking based on solely two criteria (graduate rate and expenditure) is nonsense. It doesn't even look at the actual achievement of the students. Don't get carried away people.
Good catch, MIDF.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Good catch, MIDF.
Actually it is a reprint of the Education Week, Quality Counts ranking which uses these criteria, K-12 achievement; standards, assessment and accountability; the teaching profession; school finance; students’ chances for long-term success; and transitions and alignment.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM

158 posts, read 438,994 times
Moving from MD (always #1 or #2 in the nation for public schools) one of my biggest concerns was schools for our kids. I remember when I lived down here before, FL was toward the bottom. We researched their school system before deciding on an area to live and we are quite happy with it. It's good to know that FL is improving one of the most important areas - educating our children. Thanks for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay