Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I am not currently working for geotechnical engineering firm, but have friends who are still work in this field. Hiring professional engineer (PE) for assessment is not enough. To confirm sinkhole activities serious of tests need to be perform. These tests are expensive and buyers cannot do it with every single house they are considering to buy. Reviewing the permit and plans are as good as trusting someone's word. No PE in their right mind would sign and seal under somebodies plans and permits without performing full evaluation including tests.
If u want iron clad worry free answers (no such thing in sinkhole world) dont buy a sinkhole repaired home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 09:22 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If u want iron clad worry free answers (no such thing in sinkhole world) dont buy a sinkhole repaired home.
Well, that was exactly my point. Hiring professional engineer to review/evaluate every single sinkhole house in not feasible unless you are getting a really great deal. Warranties for repaired houses are good as long as insurance companies are in business... which is not always the case.

By the way, I would be concerned not only with confirmed sinkhole house, but other houses in the neighborhood

Old 02-26-2015, 05:48 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Ten minutes up the Expressway and your in Citrus County. Real nice area and not a lot of sinkhole activity.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:17 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I am not currently working for geotechnical engineering firm, but have friends who are still work in this field. Hiring professional engineer (PE) for assessment is not enough. To confirm sinkhole activities serious of tests need to be perform. These tests are expensive and buyers cannot do it with every single house they are considering to buy. Reviewing the permit and plans are as good as trusting someone's word. No PE in their right mind would sign and seal under somebodies plans and permits without performing full evaluation including tests.
I guess you believe that a sink hole warranty is really for a life time....but unfortunately most of the sinkhole companies go out of business so fast due to either changing their LLC or filing for bankruptcy after being sued when it was not fixed as claimed.

The warranty is for the time the company is in business and just as many pool companies have gone out of business the sink hole companies also have gone out of business.

Being in a TV ad doesn't guarantee much either since the Tax guy who was on almost every channel with ads filed for bankruptcy without paying for all the time his ads were airing on TV and basically all these channels were scammed by thinking the guy was really helping innocent IRS owing people that he had a great business.

Just a few pins or grout in the ground can stabilize the house but usually other issues are going on. Due to shifting pipes can have cracks, foundation being cracked as I have seen after an repair and buyers putting tile flooring in to see the tiles cracks soon thereafter. One house was having other issues and an insurance inspector found out the house was uneven due to the amount poured in not applied equally or the house shifting again after the repair. Luckily the buyer is very handy and they love the house and they bought the house knowing of the issues.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:23 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
I saw a listing recently for a "repaired sinkhole" house for sale and in the description it stated there was no documentation regarding the repair... Might as well consider it unrepaired at that point.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:45 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I saw a listing recently for a "repaired sinkhole" house for sale and in the description it stated there was no documentation regarding the repair... Might as well consider it unrepaired at that point.
Maybe a pay out from the insurance company felt like it was repaired

Therefore insurance companies don't pay out as they did before as it only creates zombie properties.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I guess you believe that a sink hole warranty is really for a life time....but unfortunately most of the sinkhole companies go out of business so fast due to either changing their LLC or filing for bankruptcy after being sued when it was not fixed as claimed.

The warranty is for the time the company is in business and just as many pool companies have gone out of business the sink hole companies also have gone out of business.

Being in a TV ad doesn't guarantee much either since the Tax guy who was on almost every channel with ads filed for bankruptcy without paying for all the time his ads were airing on TV and basically all these channels were scammed by thinking the guy was really helping innocent IRS owing people that he had a great business.

Just a few pins or grout in the ground can stabilize the house but usually other issues are going on. Due to shifting pipes can have cracks, foundation being cracked as I have seen after an repair and buyers putting tile flooring in to see the tiles cracks soon thereafter. One house was having other issues and an insurance inspector found out the house was uneven due to the amount poured in not applied equally or the house shifting again after the repair. Luckily the buyer is very handy and they love the house and they bought the house knowing of the issues.
I actually said multiple times that warranties are good as long as company is in business. So, no, I don't not believe in warranties for sinkhole repaired homes at all.

You last paragraph cracked me up few pins or grout... LOL
I hope you are not advising your clients in the same manner

Old 02-27-2015, 03:00 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe a pay out from the insurance company felt like it was repaired

Therefore insurance companies don't pay out as they did before as it only creates zombie properties.
True. IIRC, it was a bank-owned properly and they were playing the old "we don't have any information" routine.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,568 times
Default Purchasing with repaired sink hole.

Hi everyone, I just found this site and have earned some valuable things. We are in the process of looking at some homes in Spring Hill. A couple properties have listed that they have repaired sinkholes. If what I have read so far is correct, what I need to do is get paperwork from owner on the repair and make certain it is transferrable. One of these home has listed that a sinkhole has been repaired but has been on the market for over a year and it is, for the price, a very good deal. What do you think?

Old 08-21-2015, 03:25 PM

101 posts, read 113,947 times
Run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay