Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,131 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am seriously considering relocating to the Tampa area, but all of the posts regarding the terrible job market have me panicked!

Is the job market really that bad?

I am an Account Executive at a men's sportswear company now in NYC, but I have done helpdesk / desktop support & I used to bartend when younger . . .

I would look primarily for a sales job, maybe tech. . . . maybe apparel, no MLM, or 100% commish deals . . . How are my options?

I am mid 30's, single male - looking to be as close to the beach as possible while being centrally located so I can commute (drive) to work in around an hour or an hour and a half . . . . What town is best?

Thanks - I have already resigned! I am going down on Wednesday to scope out opps! - Please Please Reply!

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,131 times
Can I live in St. Pete Beach or St. Petersburg and comfortably commute to say. . . . Downtown Tampa?

Thanks

Last edited by DeadRoach; 10-21-2007 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-21-2007, 04:24 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
The commute to Tampa from St. Pete can be bad if you have to travel during rush hour, but then traffic is bad everywhere during rush hour.
Jobs are available but it is the pay that can be a problem. There are helpdesk jobs but many start at $10.00 an hour to start, if you have technical experience you might get more. There is no state income tax so that helps a little
The biggest issue in Tampa is pay vs cost of living. Apt prices vary depending on size and location. The closer you are to the beach the more expensive the apt.
You can find a job doing something with your experience, just don't expect NE pay in Tampa.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:57 AM

515 posts, read 1,347,564 times
When you say apparel sales do you mean as a buyer or more like a retail salesperson? I can't speak for the higher level positions, but I know that there are plenty jobs available in the retail and service industries down here. The pay won't be that great and that's pretty much the reason that the jobs are there.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
job market for higher paid salaried positions in Tampa are are pretty thin--there are some companies in financial services that have pretty large offices--hospital groups--some medical mfg companies--Pepsi and Coke have big plants and some of the other food origination people in the area around Tampa---
Chico's has big operations -- see their name of Monster pretty frequently lately---

but jobs are hard to get and salaries are low compared to other urban centers like Dallas or the coasts...

Old 10-22-2007, 07:09 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,372 times
Your sales options are big box stores, (walmart, best buy, circuit city, etc.) or you can wait tables at any of the 9,000,000 bar&grill restaurants we have.That's about it unless you wanna get dirty or do hard manual work.

I hate to sound pessimistic about it, but so many people move here with starry eyed dreams of waves crashing on the beach and sunshine and bikini's, etc.
Then the cold hard slap of reality hits you in the mouth. Your rent is a grand a month and your bringing home $350/week. You gotta eat, pay for transportation, utilities, clothes, phone, etc.

You honestly need to get some sort of education/training in something that pays a bare minimum of $50,000 year. And, that's just in order to get by.
Florida is expensive. If your married, it helps because you can combine incomes, if your single it's a lot tougher.
Sales are great if you know you can transfer that experience into a sales field in this area that pays enough.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:09 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,927 times
Account Executive and Sales positions are all over the place for all types of industries in the Tampa Bay area. You mention you were an Account Executive for a clothing company, but you are willing to take a job at a Help Desk?? There are a few sportwear company headquaters in the area I know of (Tropical, Sky, and Sunstate).

Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 AM

34 posts, read 103,072 times
Coke is experiencing lay-offs due to a re-structure right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
job market for higher paid salaried positions in Tampa are are pretty thin--there are some companies in financial services that have pretty large offices--hospital groups--some medical mfg companies--Pepsi and Coke have big plants and some of the other food origination people in the area around Tampa---
Chico's has big operations -- see their name of Monster pretty frequently lately---

but jobs are hard to get and salaries are low compared to other urban centers like Dallas or the coasts...

Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 AM

74 posts, read 375,276 times
Not much to add, can only echo it is the pay vs cost of living equation that squeezes the area.

You'll be able to find some sort of work, but you'll be lucky if you hit on exactly what you had in mind, at least first time.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,398 times
job market is really bad down here especially if u r coming from nyc. it will be complete economic culture shock to u. stay in NY, u dont need to move to florida anymore with the weather staying so warm up there and winters not being so bad anymore. its still so hot down here its absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay