Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 PM

17 posts, read 29,959 times

Advertisements

This is my second post about Dunedin/Clearwater. I will link (if allowed) to the first at the bottom.

Before we moved (over two years ago) to this area I hounded these forums for information. I decided it was time I share my some of my opinions with you and they are just that..my opinions. Lots of facts available loads of places. I decided to share in a several posts...this post being education (my son was 9 when we relocated). I think it would help to know from what perspective ... Myself, husband, son (11) and we moved both my parents down as well.

I am sure most are aware that the public schools in most states have some serious flaws and Florida has a few more than most. Spending is cut to such a bare minimum that the school right down the road isn't able to leave any lights on after school..it resembles a huge black hole when driving past it at night. The upside to this area of Florida (I can't speak for the rest or anyone else's experiences) has a lot of private, charter, magnet schools...as well as Florida Virtual School. In this area lots of homeschool support can be found.

What we did..we arrived with 4 months of school remaining and the school we were zoned for was not going to happen. A decent (decent not great but not having lockdown weekly due to violence...yes elementary) school was less than a mile away but we were zoned several miles away. I called that school to schedule a tour and was told they didn't do that ..if we were zoned there, we went there. Considering the school had been in lock down the day before from some sort of violence in its neighboorhood resulting in a man hunt for a man with a knife and add that to the lovely staff member who answered the phone we opted not to send our son to that school. Before arriving in Florida we had found a Charter school that we truly wanted but was full for that year..we homeschooled for the remaining four months..I visited the Charter's school homepage and used their lesson calendar to ensure he would be on point if he got in the next year. He was lucky enough to get in the next, completing 5th in one of the best schools of this region of Florida...absolutely amazing staff and school. Unfortunately, 5th was the highest grade available. This year he attends Florida Virtual School and all work is done online. This is a great solution but it is still Florida curriculum so if that's what your trying to avoid, it isn't the choice for you! FLVS has a huge pros and cons list..I don't think anyone is very interested in those....easily found online I'm sure.

I don't mean to stir any pot of Common Core molasses..They are used in Florida, even though they, rather slyly, changed the name to Next Generation Sunshine State Standards. If tolerating the CC is more than you can bear..homeschooling laws here are very supportive. I will say (tongue firmly in cheek..teeth clenched to hold it in place) the implementation of CC in Florida to coincide with many other assessments and educational changes is proving to be challenging student and educator alike.

What will we do next year, my son's 7th grade? I don't know. We are reluctant homeschoolers for many reasons..watching to see if some of this molasses has been cleared up and that will make our decision apparent. Your kids chances of receiving a quality education here completely reflects the amount of time and energy the parents/guardians put into it...I'm afraid to say relying solely on wherever your zoned isn't the greatest idea and can end up costing you more than a few headaches..(I am sure this is the case in many places..but again speaking for the here and now of mine)

My first post for Dunedin/Clearwater:
Dunedin/Clearwater -- Why We Picked Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 06:52 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
You said it right there in your bolded statement. I think most expect the school to do a miracle and are disappointed when that doesn't happen.

Having said that the schools here are great as far as I am concerned. My son currently goes to Deer Park Elementary and before that he went to Tampa Palms Elementary. In both places he had excellent teachers. I am happy with the level of education he is receiving. We also supplement his education by studying with him everyday. There is not a single day that passed without me or his mom looking at his work and correct his mistakes, if he has any. I just don't get this whole Florida public schools sucks thing at all.

Do they need to be improved? Sure but most parents should look at themselves than always pointing the finger on the school. In fact, I found that what they are doing in school is too much. I want my son to a have a little fun too. Too much exercise, home work and project work as far as I see.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:06 PM

17 posts, read 29,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
You said it right there in your bolded statement. I think most expect the school to do a miracle and are disappointed when that doesn't happen.

Having said that the schools here are great as far as I am concerned. My son currently goes to Deer Park Elementary and before that he went to Tampa Palms Elementary. In both places he had excellent teachers. I am happy with the level of education he is receiving. We also supplement his education by studying with him everyday. There is not a single day that passed without me or his mom looking at his work and correct his mistakes, if he has any. I just don't get this whole Florida public schools sucks thing at all.

Do they need to be improved? Sure but most parents should look at themselves than always pointing the finger on the school. In fact, I found that what they are doing in school is too much. I want my son to a have a little fun too. Too much exercise, home work and project work as far as I see.

I absolutely agree they are actually having the guys do a bit too much without, kind of, backing it up. New information is often sent home as homework without the necessary ground work laid. I find this especially true with the curriculum changes. Don't misunderstand me, I am not criticizing the quantity of new information shoved at them but I do expect the needed knowledge to be learned in school (the framework would be fine)and practiced at home. The way they are being taught or rather not taught means they retain little but a healthy dislike for learning..I find that bit quite unforgivable. Since he still completes the state curriculum we battle that constantly and prioritizing has def become something to carefully consider.

A huge concern with the school in the local area (and yep again my opinion) is with safety. The middle school my son would've attended invited the parents of the fifth graders in for a chat to convince them to send our kids to them for their first year of middle school. The second statistic mentioned was a 68% reduction in arrests...I didn't hear much after that.
I know their are schools that are fantastic and my son's charter school for 5th was amazing. However, I have found them to be an exception not the rule.

My son has APD, SLD, and a few other fun bits .. no, we have never ever had the luxury expecting miracles..we work our butts off for our honor roll student...taking a hit in income to have the needed time to do more than just our duty. I'm sure it would be awesome to rely on just the school..can't even imagine! We are, and have always been, incredibly involved in our sons education and in no way believe that the school should just handle it. Education and instilling the drive to learn is a sacred responsibility of parenthood..again in my opinion.

A great thing about the area is the number of private, public, charter, magnet and online options available. Finding the one that suits you and yours is the fun bit!

A great resource based on facts is:
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay