Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 AM

29 posts, read 131,153 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the military and we are moving to Tampa this summer in July. We originally were going to live on base, but with the housing prices being so low we are thinking of buying a house.

I would like to get some general opinions on safe areas in St. Petersburg. We really love bungalows and so far I have only found one neighborhood (Historic Kenwood) that seems to be considered safe and reasonably priced. It also seems like there is not a specific side of town that is bad or ghetto and instead there are pockets of bad areas around the city, which makes it really difficult to settle on an area. I'm having a hard time figuring out where we should and shouldn't live.

Our budget is $150,000 and we have two young children so we would prefer a 3 bedroom 2 bath home. I have found a few that we are interested in, but not knowing if they are in a good area or bad area is making it difficult. The ones we like are mainly South of downtown. I read on one site that one should try and live North of downtown. Is that a true statement?

Since my husband will have to drive to the base every morning is it realistic that we could live in St. Pete? Will the commute be too long? On Google maps most of the houses we are looking at list the travel time between 30-40 mins. Is that a fair estimate in traffic?

Are there any health food stores in St. Pete? I know that Tampa has a Whole Foods, but that isn't that close to run to in case we forget something. Is it a good idea to even buy a house in St. Pete? How is the housing market there? We will be stationed at MacDill for about 4 years, when our time is up here will we be able to sell or rent the house? Or are houses just sitting on the market for months and months? I realize we don't stand to make a bunch of money on the investment due to the economy, but we don't want to loose money.

If St. Pete is too long of a commute in traffic, are there any areas of Tampa where we could find a bungalow in our price range? Will the traffic be worse living in Tampa and commuting to the base or will living in St. Pete give him a longer commute?

Thanks in advance for any help you lovely people can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,527 times
I can't give you too many specifics having been detached from that area for so long. If it were me I'd probably buy a house in the general area. I know that the Tampa Bay area cerainly has some undesirable parts, but I would probably buy a home there but alot depends on you. I liked Clearwater when I lived there....but haven't even pulled up google maps to see if that falls within a commutable range for you.

I have been trying to get into MacDill forever as a contractor to be closer to my son but have given up. Seems like you need an SCI to get on base there. The wages that I were presented with were also more often depressing than not.

Since he is in the military that is a totally different game though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionafrances View Post
My husband is in the military and we are moving to Tampa this summer in July. We originally were going to live on base, but with the housing prices being so low we are thinking of buying a house.

I would like to get some general opinions on safe areas in St. Petersburg. We really love bungalows and so far I have only found one neighborhood (Historic Kenwood) that seems to be considered safe and reasonably priced. It also seems like there is not a specific side of town that is bad or ghetto and instead there are pockets of bad areas around the city, which makes it really difficult to settle on an area. I'm having a hard time figuring out where we should and shouldn't live.

Our budget is $150,000 and we have two young children so we would prefer a 3 bedroom 2 bath home. I have found a few that we are interested in, but not knowing if they are in a good area or bad area is making it difficult. The ones we like are mainly South of downtown. I read on one site that one should try and live North of downtown. Is that a true statement?

Since my husband will have to drive to the base every morning is it realistic that we could live in St. Pete? Will the commute be too long? On Google maps most of the houses we are looking at list the travel time between 30-40 mins. Is that a fair estimate in traffic?

Are there any health food stores in St. Pete? I know that Tampa has a Whole Foods, but that isn't that close to run to in case we forget something. Is it a good idea to even buy a house in St. Pete? How is the housing market there? We will be stationed at MacDill for about 4 years, when our time is up here will we be able to sell or rent the house? Or are houses just sitting on the market for months and months? I realize we don't stand to make a bunch of money on the investment due to the economy, but we don't want to loose money.

If St. Pete is too long of a commute in traffic, are there any areas of Tampa where we could find a bungalow in our price range? Will the traffic be worse living in Tampa and commuting to the base or will living in St. Pete give him a longer commute?

Thanks in advance for any help you lovely people can offer!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,305 times
Only buy if you plan to hold on to it for a good while. Otherwise you will end up paying up front costs for a loan/closing etc etc and if you then have to sell in a year or two, you may not do well financially unless you plan to rent it out and keep it for a while. If you do this, buy something like a 3/2/2 not necessarily with a pool, but with your budget you probably wont get a pool option anyway. Also it should be in a good school district and safe. My neighbors worked at MacDill and lived right close to Indian Rocks beach, its nice over here in Seminole, good schools, safe and clean, and you may find a home for $150K still and at least that may appreciate over time and be desireable if you have to sell

Old 03-25-2013, 05:32 PM

I spoke with a realtor today and his opinions were that the housing market has picked back up and that the commute from St. Pete to MacDill would actually be shorter than the commute from Semiole Heights to MacDill.

Anyone have any thoughts on that being true or not?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,154 times
I'd suggest that any in the $150K range are in the bad neighborhoods.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,548 times
Quote:
I spoke with a realtor today and his opinions were that the housing market has picked back up and that the commute from St. Pete to MacDill would actually be shorter than the commute from Semiole Heights to MacDill.

Anyone have any thoughts on that being true or not?
I live in NE St Pete and I can get to MacDill in 15-20 minutes at any time of day. Trying to get in/out of MacDill to head north is very difficult. South Tampa to Ybor or Seminole Heights in rush hour can be a 30-40 minute trip.

I see dozens of 3/2 single family homes in the $100-150k range in the area south of Gandy and east of 4th St. There is lots of inventory -- I can stand on my driveway in Shore Acres and see eight for-sale signs on my street (5 of which have been on the market for 6-24 months). What has changed is that speculators have swooped in and bought every fixer-upper dump hoping to get rich quick. A year ago, a search in NE St Pete would show dozens of <$50k beaten-up homes coming out of foreclosure. Today, these are being bid up to foolish levels.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
I'd suggest that any in the $150K range are in the bad neighborhoods.
Wow -- your realtor must have really conned you into overpaying. There are still many, many homes out there within a few blocks of the water in nice neighborhoods in this price range.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,499 times
Quote:
I spoke with a realtor today and his opinions were that the housing market has picked back up ?
Imagine that. A realtor told you the real estate market is doing great. LOL.

They've been saying that since 2007 nonstop. DO NOT get advice from them about such a long term commitment.

That's a decision that you and your spouse need to make based on your own situation.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,141 times
I have lived in st. pete for 16 years and lived in all parts of Pinellas County. I have been broken in on one time when i lived on 5th ave s. between 34th street and downtown. I'm black and although I hate to say it, if I were you I would stay on the north side, clearwater is good, but i prefer st. pete. Right now I live in Gulfport and I love it, 4 blocks from beach, good bars and restaurants, street markets.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I live in NE St Pete and I can get to MacDill in 15-20 minutes at any time of day. Trying to get in/out of MacDill to head north is very difficult. South Tampa to Ybor or Seminole Heights in rush hour can be a 30-40 minute trip.

I see dozens of 3/2 single family homes in the $100-150k range in the area south of Gandy and east of 4th St. There is lots of inventory -- I can stand on my driveway in Shore Acres and see eight for-sale signs on my street (5 of which have been on the market for 6-24 months). What has changed is that speculators have swooped in and bought every fixer-upper dump hoping to get rich quick. A year ago, a search in NE St Pete would show dozens of <$50k beaten-up homes coming out of foreclosure. Today, these are being bid up to foolish levels.

So if you can stand in your driveway and see 8 for sale sights does that mean inventory isn't moving? Do you live in a historic neighborhood? If so, can you tell me about it? Would you buy a historic property again or are they just too much work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay