Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:32 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabaygal View Post
Miami is all about being seen: what you wear, how in shape you are, what kind of car you drive. South Florida is VERY flashy. I have never seen so many luxury cars in my life. I moved out of the state and was always surprised when people made a big deal about a Porsche driving by. Spoiled from my days of seeing at least twenty a day. I never had one though, obviously lol.

Tampa seems way more laid back to me. Things are so much quieter here. I think it still has that "Florida" feel, but in a much more relaxed atmosphere. Sure, there are people that party here, but I don't feel quite as bombarded by crazy, wild types here as I did when I lived in south FL. There are SO MANY crazy people there haha.
Exactly. Miami has so many exotic cars driving around that in order for anyone to notice you'd have to land in the middle of Collins in a UFO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabaygal View Post
Miami is all about being seen: what you wear, how in shape you are, what kind of car you drive. South Florida is VERY flashy. I have never seen so many luxury cars in my life. I moved out of the state and was always surprised when people made a big deal about a Porsche driving by. Spoiled from my days of seeing at least twenty a day. I never had one though, obviously lol.

Tampa seems way more laid back to me. Things are so much quieter here. I think it still has that "Florida" feel, but in a much more relaxed atmosphere. Sure, there are people that party here, but I don't feel quite as bombarded by crazy, wild types here as I did when I lived in south FL. There are SO MANY crazy people there haha.
You forgot the zombies.

Miami is superficial, kind of a sin city like LA or Las Vegas. Even though I enjoy visiting (I like their downtown), I find Tampa or better say Tampa Bay, more down to earth. Tampa area is better to raise family; Miami better to be single until you realize there's more to life than partying and other superficial mambo jambo.

If I lived in South FL I'd wanna be in Jupiter or even Stuart/Jensen beach. The further down you go, the crazier it gets.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I think Miami has more LOVE as the hispanic and multicultural mentality is deep and wide spread,, everybody is family. Nobody walks by you with out saying HI - nobody works with you and doesn't invite you to something, and they do party in class, NET-working is a MUST we pass out personal business cards just to connect,,, Tampabay is very disconnected, and doesn't care who their neighbor is-nor do they want to know. I took a pic. at brickell on my pnone and it wont downsize to make it fit on here, but it was happy hour and all kind of folks together. What prompted meto take the picture, was the older lady with a longer skirt and sweater-socks and boy looking old fashioned saddle shoes,,, and she was having a blast, so was verybody else... they MELT together, here no such thing exist,,, very clicki and DUIs are higher here, Florida DUI | Drunk Driving. People are who they are, sorry you cannot identify with da bling!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 AM

That is not entirely true. It depends where you live. I know all of my neighbors and they talk to me almost everyday. I live in Pinellas. I don't see how this area is disconnected. And about LOVE in Miami. There's tons of x-rated movies being made down there. To me that's sin city, whether the culture is Hispanic, International or alien. I have no problem with the people as I only go down there as a visitor, but lately I even hear stories about 'zombies' attacking homeless which possibly is a result from MDMA's..not to mention how easy it is to get prescription drugs (NBC had a report on that).

Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 PM

I just moved from Clearwater..,,and I still work P/T in a BIG retail store there, and I talk to all kinds of people and do ask regarding the question of the "disconnect",,, and employees as well as shoppers say about the same thing,,,people here don't care to really know you. They will say HI and even get your name... but that's it, and I have been here 7+ years. If you look talk and walk the same you will have better luck.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 AM

Moved from CLW to Tampa? Not sure I'm following but I think what you're describing is completely subjective. Like I said, it depends on the area/neighborhood. When we moved to our neighborhood here, we had two neighbors come over to welcome us. I constantly chit chat with my neighbors, help them or when in need of help, they never hesitate to assist us (btw, they're considerably older than me but I get along fine). So, I have not experienced the disconnection you're describing.

Work environments are different (doggie dog world) and would not expect them to be any different than Miami, moons over my hammy, or any other place.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Then you are blessed, I have lived in both Tampa and Pinellas just moved back to Tampa closer to my F/T job. In Miami I also worked in a huge corporation and we had soft ball teams, picnics, baby showers and other socials or get togethers all the time, happy hour even- not daily but frequently. ZMoist of my closest freinds have been form work. On my job here over 7 yrs now, only the mandatory Xmas party- that is it. No it is not the same.. juts buried a co-worker SAT- she was the cleaning lady in the office for 15 + years and only 3 people came. no it is NOT the same here.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:32 PM

591 posts, read 820,933 times
Tampa Bay and South Florida are as different as night and day.

People are much more genuine, sincere, and laid-back in Tampa Bay than in South Florida.

South Florida, especially Miami, is home to, like, the worst people on the planet. People in Miami make people in Vegas look good.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:59 AM

84 posts, read 167,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Exactly. Miami has so many exotic cars driving around that in order for anyone to notice you'd have to land in the middle of Collins in a UFO.
So funny, and so true!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:27 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Tampa may not compare to Miami, but its no slouch when compared to the average American city. Drive up and down Howard on a Friday night. The restaurant parking lots are filled with high end cars. There are plenty of bentleys, Ferraris, Porsches, lambos and vipers up and down SOHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay